Get Translucent Menu Bar Back?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Me1000, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

So I used the terminal command,
    Code:
    sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0
    to get a gray menu bar, but I want the translucent menu bar back!

suposedly this terminal command should get it back,

Code:
    sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE'
    Yeah, well that doesnt work so well! :mad:

anyone have an idea how to get my translucent menu bar back?

Thanks,

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

aren't you supposed to put a 1 at the end of this command?

like this;

Code:
    sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 1

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats exactly what i was thinking when i read his command. tell us if it works

4. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

There was another thread talking about that command and I think they said you have to remove that string from the file using TextEdit or another file editor.

6. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

so according to this site,
    http://miner49r.blogspot.com/2007/11/turn-off-translucent-menu-bar-in.html

my plist file should look something like,

mine looks like this,
    :confused:

EDIT:
    Well if i quicklook the file it looks normal,
    however opening it in TextEdit and Coda show the same thing,

EDIT2:
    I opened the plist file in textwrangler, and it looked fine, I took out the string, but when I went to save it I get this error (MacOS Error code: -4960)
    ugh! I set the permissions to the file to administrators read-write, and my user read-write...

7. winslayer macrumors newbie

Here's how to restore your menu bar back to default

1. Copy the file from /System/Library/LaunchDaemons to your desktop
    2. Delete the original file
    3. Get Info on the file on your desktop and make sure you have read/write capabilities on the file
    4. Open TextEdit and go to File -> Open and navigate to the file, make SURE that "Ignore rich text commands" is checked (this is why your file looked like gobbltygook the first time you tried opening it. You can set text edit prefs to ignore them by default when you drag & drop a file onto the icon in the dock though)
    5. Edit the file and save it
    6. Copy and paste the file back to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
    7. ***VERY IMPORTANT*** Make SURE and repair permissions before rebooting. I edited mine like this and didn't fix the permissions on the file and the WindowServer refused to load and all I got was an endless loops where it would error and write and error to the console. I had to use the Leopard install DVD to fix permissions and that required a drive home from work to get my install disc.
    8. Reboot and the menu bar should be back to normal

Hope this helps you. :)

I am sure there is a way to do it with defaults delete, but I don't really know how and I think the way they have it written is wrong. It's too bad too because defaults delete would make it WAY easier.

8. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

ok, looks like the site with all the terminal commands, edited their page...

used this command to get it back!

Code:
    sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables'
    :D