Get unlocked iPhone X Preorder Day

ranred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Can unlocked iPhone X be purchased on the pre order day? It looks like they don't have an option on their site unlike iPhone 8 that can be purchased unlocked?

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
If you're in UK, Canada, and other EU/Asian countries, then yes. Not sure about US, if you can't see an option, perhaps there won't be an unlocked model available for pre order.

ranred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
I was reading a thread where some one said you can buy it at Tmobile at full price unlocked and use it with another carrier like AT&T, is that true?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
As I know in the US the iPhone 8 8+ are deferent if you use ATT or T- Mobil they dont have the CDMA antenna unless you buy the factory unlocked that has all the Antennas .the iPhone X is the same unless they will sale the factory unlock in the USA

ryan102

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
In the US:

You can buy the T-Mobile or AT&T model full price and use it on any GSM network world-wide, unlocked. You can't use it on CDMA networks like Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

You could buy the Verizon version which is unlocked and works on both CDMA and GSM networks worldwide.....but you need a VZW account in order to purchase the phone via the Apple website. (You don't need that for the GSM only model)

Reactions: bufffilm

TinyChip

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
California
I was reading a thread where some one said you can buy it at Tmobile at full price unlocked and use it with another carrier like AT&T, is that true?
According to the specs for iPhone X published on Apple website, there are two models of the X:

Model A1865 supports CDMA and GSM

Model A1901 supports GSM (it does not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint)

You need to buy specifically the X for Verizon, model A1865 which is compatible with T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.

If you buy the T-Mobile X, model A1901, it will work on AT&T but is not compatible with Verizon/Sprint.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
In the US:

You can buy the T-Mobile or AT&T model full price and use it on any GSM network world-wide, unlocked. You can't use it on CDMA networks like Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

You could buy the Verizon version which is unlocked and works on both CDMA and GSM networks worldwide.....but you need a VZW account in order to purchase the phone via the Apple website. (You don't need that for the GSM only model)
This man is correct.

Read no further.

awaken470

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
According to the specs for iPhone X published on Apple website, there are two models of the X:

Model A1865 supports CDMA and GSM

Model A1901 supports GSM (it does not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint)

You need to buy specifically the X for Verizon, model A1865 which is compatible with T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.

If you buy the T-Mobile X, model A1901, it will work on AT&T but is not compatible with Verizon/Sprint.
What model is the Sprint model? and can the Sprint model be unlocked to be used on VZ, ATT, Tmo? Thanks

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Only on GSM networks, so it's not a full "World" phone. Most international networks use GSM, but you can't use CDMA networks at all (e.g Verizon or Sprint)

In the US:

Exactly correct, and you'd have to create a Verizon account and start a plan in order to get the Verizon plan. It looks like you need to have a Verizon account before purchasing/pre-ordering.

What model is the Sprint model? and can the Sprint model be unlocked to be used on VZ, ATT, Tmo? Thanks
Sprint model is same as Verizon model. Assuming you are able to have Sprint unlock it (unsure on their policies), it could then be used on any other network the iPhone supports.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
If you are desperate enough. Buy the verizion version online from Apple, create a new verizion account, new phone number and then cancel the verizion plan within the allowed time. You'll be out the activation and associated fees but you will have the phone. Just don't sign up for a contract or payment plan from verizion. You will be out a few bucks and probably a ping on your credit rating.

Now whether it is unlocked internationally, I don't know.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
If you are desperate enough. Buy the verizion version online, create a new verizion account, new phone number and then cancel the verizion plan within the allowed time. You'll be out the activation and associated fees but you will have the phone. Just don't sign up for a contract or payment plan from verizion.
Does anyone know the fees associated? Would be fascinating to see an article on all the ways to get an unlocked phone from each of the 4 carriers using this method, and the related fees. I'm guessing it would include the activation fee, a pro-rated amount of the monthly charges, and taxes. My guess is a minimum of $50, but maybe closer to $100.

ranred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
If you are desperate enough. Buy the verizion version online from Apple, create a new verizion account, new phone number and then cancel the verizion plan within the allowed time. You'll be out the activation and associated fees but you will have the phone. Just don't sign up for a contract or payment plan from verizion. You will be out a few bucks and probably a ping on your credit rating.

Now whether it is unlocked internationally, I don't know.
Does the Tmobile one need account?

HoshidoPrince

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Sooooooo let me get this straight. I can order a Verizon Wireless iPhone X unlocked from the Apple Store and bring it to a Sprint Store and have them activate it after getting a Sprint SIM? I’m currently with Sprint, if that means anything.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Sooooooo let me get this straight. I can order a Verizon Wireless iPhone X unlocked from the Apple Store and bring it to a Sprint Store and have them activate it after getting a Sprint SIM? I’m currently with Sprint, if that means anything.
Talk to sprint first before buying.

HoshidoPrince

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the responses guys! I probably will ask them. Are there any specific reasons why they wouldn’t? Website makes it sound somewhat easy.

homer79

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
In the US:

Is that correct? Am planning to buy either a T-Mobile or Verizon version to use it in Asia. Does the T-Mobile model remain unlocked or is there a way for them to lock it once u pop a tmobile sim card into it? Thank you!

masongalloway

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
In the US:

So I have been trying to get a straight answer out of Verizon.. Is it possible to sign up for a prepaid Verizon account and use that number/Account info when purchasing the iPhone X? I thought I could just sign up for the standard Verizon account and then cancel, but they charge early termination fees (Seriously???? it is 2017 people.) The Verizon employee I talked to seem to think it was possible but the second employee I spoke with on the phone said it could not be a prepaid account.

I live in Geneva, so I need an unlocked phone with CDMA & GSM :(

Zarg001

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
India
I just checked with Apple support team and they were happy to say that the iphone X will be available in unlocked version on the pre-order day!
You don’t have to choose any carrier!
So no worries!!

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I just checked with Apple support team and they were happy to say that the iphone X will be available in unlocked version on the pre-order day!
So no worries!!
It won’t be though. iPhone 8 SIM-free showed on the website before pre-orders started. iPhone X doesn’t.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
So no worries!!
There is a difference between an "unlocked" version and a Sim-Free version. They're all technically "unlocked." However, what it sounds like with the way you're wording it. You want a "sim-free" version. The 8/8 Plus is the exception to the rule. Apple has NEVER had a sim-free version up for pre-order. I could be totally reading your post wrong, but it seems like you want sim-free, and not unlocked. Which again, you will not be able to get a sim-free version at launch. Nobody has a clue how long it'll take for it to appear. In the past a month or two, the X could be different. Anyone's guess at this point.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
So no worries!!
I doubt it. There is no reason to add it at the last second. If it were available like the iPhone 8 you would see it now. Last second changes are not going to happen.