Get US iPad or wait for UK release?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonnyb, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. jonnyb macrumors 65816

    Jan 21, 2005
    Rye/London, UK
    Help me with my dilemma fellow MacRumorers

    I have a friend from the US visitng me here in the UK on April 17. He's on standby to order me an iPad on Friday. I could have one in my hands on April 17 and for a knock-down price (compared to what they'll end up costing here).

    Or..I can wait and get a UK one a couple of weeks or so later ('late April' is what we're being told as the release in the UK)

    You'd think it would be a no-brainer - getting it earlier and cheaper. The only thing stopping me is my fear that if there's something wrong with it (I'm never very lucky with Apple products) I'm stuck with it.

    A dead pixel or two would make me very, very sad.

    I should wait, right?

    edit: My friend has indicated that he'd rather not be responsible for checking it according to my exacting, and some might say unreasonable, standards
  2. riyadc macrumors member

    Dec 31, 2004
    The warranty should still work in the UK even if the iPad was bought from the US.
  3. jonnyb thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jan 21, 2005
    Rye/London, UK
    Yeah, I thought that but Apple, along with other companies have poilicies about how many dead pixels are 'acceptable' .

    If I buy through the UK online store I can send it back if I'm not entirely happy with it due to UK distance-selling consumer laws. If I get one via the US and take that to an Apple store the genius might quote the 'acceptable' standard to me and say 'tough luck'.

    It's screen issues that I've always had the most problems with, with Apple products; iPod touches, iPhones and MacBook Airs!
  4. iZac macrumors 68000


    Apr 28, 2003
    I'd wait until you see quite how much you're going to be fleeced by when the UK prices are announced in April.

    Incidentally I've only once had a stuck pixel with any machine and that was my old G4 iMac. Top right, inch in, would work normally for 15 minutes if you gave it a light prod. annoyed the hell out of me.

    I wonder if the 3G version of the iPad will have the same 'domestic' warrenty as the iPhone though?
  5. gratui macrumors member

    Mar 8, 2010
    I'm in UK and now having same question. Of course I want to buy Ipad from UK sellers because if the item has problem it is easy to solve.

    Anyone have a time-line for Ipad to come to UK and pricing difference between US and UK.

    In my experience with iMac, it is much more expensive between US price and UK price :(
  6. t0mat0 macrumors 603


    Aug 29, 2006
    Are the frequencies used for the US iPad compatible with the UK?
    In the UK you'd want the UK 3G then edge and GPRS.
  7. jonnyb thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jan 21, 2005
    Rye/London, UK
    The cell frequencies are the same, hence the iPhone working in both the US and the UK.
  8. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Sep 3, 2009
    Honestly, OP, if you are planning to get 3G, you'd have to wait anyway.

    I'd probably wait and get one in my local area just in case of anything. Plus he does have a 6-8 hour flight to get there plus travel to you. Anything can go wrong in that time.
  9. witness macrumors 6502

    Apr 7, 2005
    I shall be going to NY in May and have decided to wait till that trip to buy mine (unless they have an unusually low price here).
  10. kramerica2 macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2009
    Just ask your friend to open the box and check for any noticable flaws.
  11. jonnyb thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jan 21, 2005
    Rye/London, UK
    Well, the iPad will have come all the way from China in the first place, but I see what you're saying. The plane could plunge into the Atlantic, taking my beautiful iPad with it. Not to mention my friend. If I get my iPad in London I'll have only lost my friend.

    Good advice.

    As I already said my friend says he's not comfortable with deciding what's acceptable or not. If he didn't notice something that I thought was obvious I'd have to kill him.
  12. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I'd say wait based on your comfort level and/or your friend's. Why force something and then later regret it. Patience is a virtue and you'll be better off by waiting imo.
  13. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

    Feb 17, 2005
    It's probable to end up the same price as US, or possibly even cheaper in the UK, as is the case with the current Apple store pricing on the the iPod touches.

    We used to get price-gouged in the UK, but not these days. The pound is too weak for that anymore.
  14. OllyW Moderator


    Staff Member

    Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    I admire your optimism, I just hope you won't be too disappointed when the UK prices are announced. ;)
  15. nazuk macrumors 6502


    Dec 5, 2007
    England, UK
    Having been to the USA many many times...

    ...usually, more often than not, the prices are always cheaper. However, having travelled recently as January 2010, closer to February by the time I got back - everything, and I mean nearly everything, from clothes to gadgets, to electronics to whatever - which I normally buy over there, was much much dearer.

    I usually buy 2 full suitcases each weighing about 25 kilo's worth of stuff - i'm a shopaholic and a gadget freaky nerd!!

    It simply was not worth buying anything over there in January, everything seemed so much dearer.

    The Dollar against the Pound has not been this poor for several years.

    I'm off again in July, and besides the wait, I just know it won't be any cheaper over there.

    Having said all of that, I have bought in previous years:

    Original extremely expensive click wheel iPod
    iBooks x 2
    Macmini's x 2
    Macbook Pro 15" x 1
    Loads and loads of Apple branded accessories
    iTouch etc
    ..and not to mention many non Apple stuff too!

    I have never had any problems with anything, ever! I must be lucky.

    If the dollar was much nearer the 1.60 mark or over, I would defo buy my iPad over there in July, but now i'm less likely to when I travel then.

    /hope that helps!
  16. badgerman macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2008
    am in similar boat, is suggesting £499 for 16gb wifi.

    Remember officially you can only import the $499 as the others will be over the UK tax free import.

    If you get it from in some US states you will not have to pay US sales tax, hence $499 = £332 at the mo... no way UK prices will be cheaper...
  17. optophobia macrumors 6502a


    Oct 26, 2007
    Hudson MA


    Also I have found if you leave the box behind and just have it in your carry on, they dont check it.

Share This Page