Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I currently have TMo on an unlocked iPhone. Knowing that you can't order an iPhone X sim-free on Oct 27, I'm thinking of getting a VZW line around Oct 24 just in time for pre-order so I can get a Qualcomm modem chipped phone and then order a VZW iPhone X. After a few days, I plan on cancelling the line within the 14 day grace period provided by VZW. Think that'll work?

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Yes, although Verizon plans are month to month, so you would still me on the hook for 1 month of service. I believe if you cancel within 14 days, you get refunded the activation fee, but would still be on the hook for the whole month for the line access and data plan costs.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I’m in the same boat as OP. Matter of fact I posted the exact same question in the T-Mobile Pre-order thread. But I’ll settle with a gsm unlocked T-Mobile model from Apple directly. Resale values in the States will suffer a bit down the road compare to the Verizon model, but not worth the trouble just to gain so little.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Can you get a Verizon phone from Apple and pay full price? I’ve done it with the 7 plus when I didn’t have Verizon.

Plut

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2017
I actually did this last year. They do pro rate so they should only charge you for a portion of the month. (24th-11/3).

Make sure you actually activate the Verizon line as you will need to be able to receive an sms verification code from Apple when placing your pre prder.

Reactions: Jumpie

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I currently have TMo on an unlocked iPhone. Knowing that you can't order an iPhone X sim-free on Oct 27, I'm thinking of getting a VZW line around Oct 24 just in time for pre-order so I can get a Qualcomm modem chipped phone and then order a VZW iPhone X. After a few days, I plan on cancelling the line within the 14 day grace period provided by VZW. Think that'll work?

I have a VZW iPhone 8 at the moment, curious if I could do the same! Although I want to buy the X with financing, so would I be OK as the financing would go through Apple?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I have a VZW iPhone 8 at the moment, curious if I could do the same! Although I want to buy the X with financing, so would I be OK as the financing would go through Apple?

I'm guessing it'll work. I dunno
[doublepost=1508198476][/doublepost]
Can you get a Verizon phone from Apple and pay full price? I’ve done it with the 7 plus when I didn’t have Verizon.

Only at the Apple store not at VZW. VZW won't sell it. I don't get why not and they won't key you leave the store without opening and activating it right then.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
I'm guessing it'll work. I dunno
[doublepost=1508198476][/doublepost]

Only at the Apple store not at VZW. VZW won't sell it. I don't get why not and they won't key you leave the store without opening and activating it right then.
d lete

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Yes, that's a good plan. You can buy the GSM version by claiming to be a t-mobile customer, but that's the inferior version of the phone.

Tim Cook needs to PAY ATTENTION. Your customers are willing to jump through hoops and give big $$ to carriers just to buy one of your phones! Why do you make it so difficult? Why not capture that value for yourself? FIX THIS TIM!!

Reactions: colodane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.