Get Your iPhone 4 [a little bit] Early

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lyetz, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Lyetz macrumors newbie

If you're like me and can't bear the thought of waiting what seems like a lifetime for a FedEx truck to arrive at your house, you'll probably find the following advice useful.

My iPhone 4, which I pre-ordered from Apple.com, is scheduled to arrive the 24th (even though I got the email from Apple with a June 23rd arrival date). Regardless of whether or not it'll come tomorrow or Thursday, I'm inpatient! Like I said, I can't bear the thought of waiting until 4PM for the shipment to arrive at my front door. Earlier today, I called FedEx and requested they put a hold on my package. If you're not familiar with shipping terms, putting a hold on a package means it will not be placed on a delivery truck. Instead, I'll be able to pick it up first thing tomorrow morning when my local FedEx hub opens.

Simply bring a government-issued photo ID and have your tracking number handy so you can walk out of their hub with a brand new iPhone 4 before [almost] everybody else will get theirs. I just called them, and they're still open. If you want to take advantage of this advice, I'd give them a call right away before they sort it and place it on a truck. You can reach them at the following number:

(800) 463-3339

Good luck!

2. quid squid macrumors regular

3. Lyetz thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's safe to say everybody who pre-ordered is pretty impatient right now... and rightfully so.

4. ryank808 macrumors regular

I attempted this earlier today.

Guy I was talking to said he could put a hold on my delivery, but I wouldn't be able to pick it up till after 1pm (the hub opens at 8am).

So I just left it as delivery.

5. quid squid macrumors regular

I preordered too, but I'm not calling my local Fedex hub so I can rush down there at the crack of dawn to pick up a phone. I'm just thankful that I was able to get a phone, it will get here when the Fedex driver gets here.

Too many people on here freaking out and getting upset over something that they will be excited about for a month or so then it becomes something that is "there" and will be upgraded again in a year or two. It's not like this thing is keeping you alive.

6. Lyetz thread starter macrumors newbie

If you check your tracking number now, does it say "At destination sort facility?"

7. Lyetz thread starter macrumors newbie

Who's freaking out and getting upset? I'm simply putting my advise out there for people who want their package early.

8. ryank808 macrumors regular

No it's still in Oakland. I live in Hawaii. But my scheduled delivery is June 23rd by 5pm.

9. quid squid macrumors regular

that was a general observation of the forums here as a whole over the last week, not an attack on you.

10. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Doesn't this defeat the purpose for choosing "home delivery"?

11. ryank808 macrumors regular

Not really. It's a better choice for those who don't want to wait in line and want it as soon as possible. It's like a cheat.

12. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I hope that your plan works out to your satisfaction. But the one time I tried to get FedEx to hold a package (before any delivery attempts had been made), it turned into a source of frustration. I attempted to have them hold for early pickup because I was heading out of town that morning and wanted to retrieve the package as I left town. They, in fact, did NOT end up holding the package and I was at the FedEx office trying to pick it up at the same time the driver was leaving the package at my front door (it wasn't a package I had to sign for). Because I was leaving town, I didn't want the package sitting at the front door so I drove all the way back home (which is when I discovered the driver had already been there).

So, bottom line... My attempt to have them hold the package was a fail on their part and a waste of time on my part.

Again, this was for a package where no delivery attempt had been made yet. In situations where the first delivery attempt was already made, I've never had problems with them holding a package for pickup at the FedEx office. I honestly don't think they are set up to properly handle holds on packages before the first delivery attempt.

I wish you luck!

Mark

13. Lyetz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing your experience! Let's hope this doesn't happen to anybody who's putting their package on hold for tomorrow (like me). ;)

14. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Just did this. I was hoping I'd be able to because I live around the back of a house. The neighbors upstairs have the front door, and sometimes delivery guys don't like coming around the back even if I leave a note. It'll save me a headache to just pick it up at the facility. I was told I'd be able to pick it up starting 8:30 AM. I was also told that the phone isn't going to be delivered until the 24th, but the guy could be wrong. That's what my tracking info still says, but it's close to my local sort facility.

15. timlopez macrumors member

I called and tried this. It's supposed to be delivered today. They told me they could help me. However, they asked if it was "one of those apple ipod thingys" which I said "yeah" and then they said they had to make one delivery attempt before holding it.

So, looks like I'll be waiting here for it, since I'm such as hell not going to let it sit in front of my door in this complex for hours before I get home from work.

16. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

I've never had them actually honor one of these requests. They always say that they CANNOT hold an item until it's had 1 attempted delivery. Both FedEx and UPS both say this.

It sounds like some people are getting lucky, but normally they don't allow this.

17. i.phone4 macrumors member

sounds like you're the one freaking out.

18. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Was one of those apple ipod thingys their exact words? That's pretty funny if they were.