Get your Samsung panel iPad ASAP before LG & Sharp start shipping their displays!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ArztMac, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

If you want a perfectly lid, well balanced cool display (no yellow screen issue) with virtually no backlight bleeding, get your iPad ASAP. Soon, LG and Sharp will start mass producing panels for the iPad, and this is very, very bad news for everyone that cares for a good, nice display.

Historically, LG is largely responsible for the bad yellow screens and ridiculous backlight bleeding on large numbers of iPad 2's. Actually, they couldn't land a deal sooner to deliver the new retina panels to Apple because their dropoff and failure rate was too high. The most glaring issues were backlight bleeding and lots of dead pixels! Especially Sharp almost lost all of Apple's confidence as well as all business deals as they basically couldn't even deliver one single perfect panel, even as a review unit, for months! Sharp was the subject of every joke inside Apple HQ.

So as it seems, Samsung is the sole provider of retina displays at the moment. Which is great, historically Samsung were among the very best screens you could buy. They are delivering screens to a range of notebooks of different developers as well, and if you take a look at Dell, HP or Acer forums, you'll realize that everyone wants a good Samsung panel. Sort of like the SSD issue with Toshiba and Samsung in the recent MacBook Airs, everyone wanted a Samsung SSD.

So if you want to pretty much assure yourself of getting a fine panel while avoiding the inevitable screen lottery, get your iPad ASAP, don't wait for the 2nd or 3rd batches as you are likely to receive an inferior LG or even worse Sharp panel. So if you want to avoid exchanging panels in the future, get your pristine Samsung panel right now. I predict that in the middle of April we'll start seeing more LG & Sharp retina panels in the wild, and the complaints will start accumulating then... Don't miss out!

2. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I think you're exactly right about all of this. I posted something very similar in the thread about iFixIt's teardown.

3. pixelshaders macrumors member

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yup I agree, the initial batches always tend to have higher quality overall.

My launch 4S (manufactured at Foxxcon) has a slight front camera fault, apple sent me a replacement which was manufactured at another factory and this had a yellow screen, crappy home button, dodgy volume button and naff vibration motor.

I sent the replacement back and kept the original!

Heres hoping for a problem free 3rd gen iPad.

5. dell who? macrumors member

I was under the impression that the light bleeding issue was a function of adhesive elements not being set for long enough before the products were shipped out due to outrageously high demand. Not once did I hear that the issue was specific to which brand of screen was used. I'm not disagreeing with most of what you're saying conceptually, but I'm hoping that because Apple already rejected initial batches from these manufacturers that they will not allow the standard to slip in any way on any batch of iPads. Fingers crossed...

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Not totally. Even the new Sharp Elite line is have some QA issues.

7. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

Hilarious. Everyone agrees. Yet my post about LCD differences received downvotes. Basically: If the post supports people who pre-ordered iPads = everyone agrees. If the post somehow suggests that people will not receive the 2nd coming of christ with their pre-order = downvotes.

8. ArztMac thread starter macrumors regular

ArztMac

Remembering how big an issue the different SSD's were in the Airs (nobody even boticed a difference except in benchmarks), different panel makers and varying panel qualities will be an exponentially larger issue as the screen is basically the iPad!! Not just a chip inside the computer, the panel is everything!!

Some lucky early adopters will have the perfect Samsung screens, while latebloomers will be stuck staring at inferior LG screens. Or Sharp, which I don't even wish my worst enemies!!

9. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

LMAO! My point confirmed!

10. ArztMac thread starter macrumors regular

ArztMac

Can you link to your post or paste it here? I'd like to hear your take on the issue...

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

ohhh well... I'm sure 99% of iPad consumers won't know the difference...

WE ARE THE 1%

12. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

Ill make it here. Regardless of manufacturer there is going to be discrepancies in LCDs. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer and everything to do with LCD production. ESPECIALLY new tech like these panels.. Does Samsung make superior products compared to LG and Sharp? Duh.. Does that matter at all when producing something for Apple with their NAZI guidelines and regulations? No... Brands can be considered equal after meeting Apples crazy guidelines...

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I wouldn't worry too much about LG. They are moving to a new production facility which supposed will solve a lot of their QA problems. I mean, all iMac users tend to love their displays which also have LG panels.

Sharp is a bit tougher to judge because they are trying to use a very new process and have had even more problems than LG with QA. We'll see how that one goes.

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I have to be honest, when I bought my Airs a while back I dealt with the same thing. Samsung panels were excellent, LG were utterly dreadful. If it's likely to be a similar thing with the iPad, I'm glad I got in early.

16. vulsker macrumors newbie

Yeah I am very glad that I got my pre-order in. I sell televisions at my job and I can't express how poor the Sharp televisions look. The screens are just awful and especially when it is sitting next to a Samsung... CLEAR winner. Lg... they are hit or miss on what they make.

17. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I see your point, but I don't agree completely. Even Apple has variation tolerances it considers acceptable. The LG and Sharp displays may "just barely" make the cut, while the Samsung display nails it perfectly. Or it could be the other way around. We'll have to wait and see. Either way, it doesn't bode well that LG and Sharp could not meet Apple's specs at launch.

18. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

Samsung is JUST as likely to have discrepancies as LG and Sharp. This is new LCD tech. And I hate to break it to you, but suggesting that a first production run will be superior is not just illogical, but goes against the foundation of ANY mass produced item from automobiles to toaster ovens. If anything, first run productions are MUCH more likely to have issues. Apples amazing consistency and build quality aside.. Anyone doubting may feel free to look up the VAST number of threads dedicated to LCD panel discoloration/differences etc.. You can read page after page of people getting sherlock holmes and coming up with anything from manufacturer to production date. You can continue reading and find examples of issues from every date and every manufacturer. The simple truth: LCDs will ALWAYS have discrepancies regardless of manufacture date or Brand.

----------

This. This is so false.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

This is just total personal experience but at least with TV's I'll take a Sharp over Samsung anyday.

I've always had my Sharp TVs (and really any Sharp product I've bought) be very reliable and decent. I bought a Samsung TV that had better specs than the Sharp I replaced it with and I returned it cause the picture was awful (and I'm really not that picky to be honest. But even my roommate's cheap tv that came with the house was not that much worse... and it was some cheap no name brand. I couldn't get over how dull and grainy the picture was). The Sharp had worse specs on paper but had a much much better screen. Neither were high end products, probably about the same level.

I like Sharp. They seem to put out decent products at decent prices (you don't pay for the name).

20. dell who? macrumors member

As someone who was working in Apple retail through the 1st and 2nd gen iPad releases I would be inclined to agree with your perspective. Even amidst heavy speculation and "inside track" info, the brand of screen NEVER came up as a factor in any previously cited issues with iPads/iPhones. It defies certain laws of the universe to think that later generations won't be updated/improved based on initial difficulties in manufacturing, and that goes for any company with any product. As an example with Apple specifically, think back to when the first white iPhone 4's finally came out. I saw sooooooo many issues with the first few batches, and lo and behold, we don't hear about that anymore.

21. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I don't see why Apple's quality requirements would be different for Samsung vs. LG vs. Sharp. Mistakes happen and some bad displays will make it past inspection. IMHO Apple's great customer service will fix it if you get a bad one.

22. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

Hey look at that! logic!? Here!?... Yea not that it is relevant, matters, or that I care to state who my employer is, but I am a certified Apple technician.

23. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Well I should be good to go since according to my serial number my iPad was made the 3rd week of January. Here's hoping to a perfect panel.

24. mmf01 macrumors member

Well, according to the Macworld review below it appears the first batch has the yellowish screen issue. In past experience with iPad replacements that had the same issue, this usually meant Samsung and was accompanied by light bleed and a host of other issues. I'm waiting for LG and Sharp which at least with LG displays I never had a issue.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165849/review_the_third_generation_ipad.html

"I found the color temperature on the new iPad to be warmer and more yellow than that on the iPad 2. In isolation, both screens seemed perfectly normal. Only when I placed old and new iPads together did I notice that one is slightly warmer than the other."

25. crapbag8 macrumors member

Agreed, but I think OP's point is valid in that LG and Sharp appear to have failed initial certification tests, and as a result, he has fears about getting a LG or Sharp panel in the future. Therefore, to make sure you get a Samsung panel, you should try to get in on the first batch.