GetPrivateProfileString can't read INI file from Lion Server Samba Share

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by michaelz, Jan 15, 2012.

1. michaelz macrumors regular

My lion server's build-in samba server works pretty well with my windows 7 and XP clients. I can open, edit, save and delete files on samba share from windows client. The only problem is windows API GetPrivateProfileString (and other related functions) cannot read INI files from samba share. Yes, it is the only problem. I could open, edit and save the same INI file use any text editor, but not via those windows APIs. This cause a huge problem because the windows application for our business is using those APIs to read INI files.

It must be a bug or some settings in lion server's build-in samba. Because my work around is to install samba 3, and everything worked perfectly.

However, I'd rather use the build in samba server if my windows app can ready INI files from it. Samba 3 works very well, but the build-in server is much easier to manage.

Anyone experience same problem out there? And, any solutions?:confused:

2. michaelz thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like I am the the only one having this problem. Can any of you confirm that it works for you?