Getting 10.5.6 [update] on CD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zackkmac, Feb 25, 2009.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I have a little problem. I'm still on 10.5.1, what my iMac came with, and I'd really like to have the 10.5.6 update. The thing is, my Internet connection is very limiting. Every time I've tried to download any Mac OS X update, sure, it starts out fine [max of 160kbps] but it'll eventually slow not only the download, but my whole connection, to under dial-up speed. Then for some reason Software Update thinks it's successfully downloaded the update and tries to install it, but since it's corrupt, the Installer always hangs. Now I get an annoying pop-up every once in-a-while about installing 10.5.6 even though I know it'll mess up.

So is there any way I can just get the update file sent to me on disc, for little or no charge? No one I know has a Mac or is willing to download the file for me, already looked into that. :mad:

Thanks

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since your location is not showing this may or may not help, but if there is one reasonably nearby I would suggest contacting an Apple store. While there is no question that if you took it into a store they would gladly update it, there is a possibility that they might also be willing to just pop the 10.5.6 combo updater on a CD for you as well- especially when you explain your connection circumstances.

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, however I live too far away from an Apple Store. :(

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have a friend nearby that would be willing to download and burn it for you?

6. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never heard of that, but I checked and the only one that came up is in the same city as the closest Apple Store. Thanks for the link though. :)

Nah, no one will take their time to do it. :(

I did check on eBay, and I saw what I found to be update discs for $3. As it turns out, the guy sends out discs with nothing but a URL for the download itself, which I find pointless. It would make more sense to pay $3 for the half-gigabyte download rather than just a link to find it, when your computer automatically can get that download on its own for free. I asked him if he could please put the update on the disc and all he said was "nope. bye" :rolleyes:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There were a lot of people that experience "issues" with using Software Update to go to 10.5.6

Most simply went to

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Combo_Update

And did a simple download.

Seems like your speed should be enough, you should try downloading with the browser using the above link if you haven't.

Just make sure you run disk utility/fsck and repair the drive -- plus run repair permissions before installing the downloaded update.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Geez- nice friends! Like it takes SO long!:mad:

While this won't help next time, PM me with your name and address and I'll send along a disk with the 10.5.6 Combo Updater to get you squared away. In the note also let me know if there are any other Apple updates showing in your Software Update and I will add them as well.

BTW- as for the eBay guy, that is just amazing. That's a new low to try to get unknowing people to pay $3 for a link to freely available software updates.:(

9. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried that but it's a lot like Software Update. After so long, my connection's "Fair Access Policy" kicks in and slows my Internet way down, to download speeds measured in bytes. Not only that, but my browsing takes about 10-15 minutes to load a single webpage.

Wow, seriously? Thank you so much! :D

And yeah, I know right? Some help that guy sure is providing. :mad:

But yeah I'll PM you. :)

10. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

you might want to to try clearing out failed updates... go to /Library/Updates, delete all the contents of that folder and re-try downloading 10.5.6 via Software Update. I got this tip from this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2383

11. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that gets rid of the corrupt update, but it doesn't change the fact that when I re-download it, it never downloads successfully. :(

It's all because of my provider's Fair Access Policy. I have HughesNet, formerly DirecWay. When I reach a certain set limit of how much I can download with the fastest speeds, it cuts my speeds down to slower than you can imagine, and it's stuck like that for 4 or 5 days.

Thanks for your suggestion though!

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Anywhere in town that has wireless access you can use for free or nominal charge? Go sit in Starbucks and do the update.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Complain to your ISP that you are unable to get system updates for your computer.

Perhaps someone in the house is running torrents that are sucking up all the download quote?

Change ISP.

14. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I had HughesNet for awhile and you can downlod all you want without going over your limit if you do it between 3 AM and 5AM ( check to make sure this is still the same).. I used a program called "iGetter.app" http://www.igetter.net/index.html to do my downloads after I went to bed and the next morning everything was ready for me to install... It's easy to use and set up to do the downloads for you. after I did this I never went over my limit again...