Getting $150 back from boss

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doju, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Long story short, I bought a 6 month membership from our local gym for $150. A week later they posted a notice of employment for a position there, I applied, and shortly after I received the position.

Now, this job has the benefit of offering a free membership to all employees as long as they are employed.

So basically, I dropped $150 only to find out two weeks later it was useless.

My boss said candidly (I didn't bring it up) that not to worry, if I ever quit it will be just start then and I'll be 6 months paid from whenever I quit.

I really don't go to the gym much anymore, even with a free membership (I do my workouts at home now with P90X) and I highly doubt after I quit I'll ever have any interest of joining up again. (Plus, I plan to work here until I go to university in a year, so even then it will be useless.)

So what I'm getting at, is how would I ask my boss for the refunded money? $150 is a lot and I'd like it back (I wouldn't have any problem if I was going to use the membership eventually but I definitely won't). I work at a small gym with only a few staff members so the boss and I aren't as impersonal as the average office job.

How would I ask her? Advice? :(

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Don't, it's rude and you'll probably lose your job over it. It's not your boss' fault that you sunk $150 in before taking the job. You paid money like everyone else and shouldn't expect a special treatment.

Sorry to be blunt, but unless your boss specifically offered you the money back, don't ask for it.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

IMHO, you should reevaluate your business ethics. You signed a contract. Your boss already gave you the stipulations as to how you would be compensated for the membership. Yes, if as a friend, she chose to give you the money back, fine, but there is no reason for it to be refunded, and you would be showing immaturity in asking.

5. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

It won't get you fired and it's not your fault that you paid $150 before taking the job if you didn't know if you were going to apply there in the first place. Asking for your money back is not an unreasonable request, just be prepared to be okay with it if you do not get it back.

If you have been working there for 3 months then I don't recommend asking for it back as you have left it undressed for too long of a time. If you just started there in the last 1-2 weeks then your approach will be very important on your success on getting it back.

Just be genuine in your approach. Since the business is smaller with you having a closer relationship I think your odds are more in your favour.

6. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Contracts are not the be all end all. I've renegotiated contracts to ask for lee way. Sometimes I've been successful other times not. The word "ethic" means how things ought to be. You ought not to be constantly concerned about getting your $150 back. Only way to address this is to talk to your boss. Avoiding your boss is immaturity. Just like ass kissing your boss is immature too. You do have a reason to ask for it back. The reason is $150 is allot of flip-pin money in your monthly income as a broke kid. This will held develop your communication skills and may even end up having a defining moment. Yay!

7. darkwing macrumors 65816

If you know you're going to quit when you go to university then just try asking then. Tell her you will be too busy to go because of school. It's the same problem as people who whine about price drops. If something is worth $150 to you yesterday, it should still be worth $150 to you today. If it isn't, then you made a bad purchase. It isn't your boss's fault.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I would do.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Ask if they can prorate it. That seems reasonable. Say you paid 2 weeks ago, 4 weeks left in the membership.

So, just see if you can get the $100 back, since you are now employed.

I don't get why so many people act scared of their boss. You sit down with them, politely ask them a request, if they deny it then you go on about your business.