Getting 2G iPhone working with GoPhone SIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by slpdLoad, Jun 21, 2009.

1. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Alright, here's what I have:

2G iPhone off contract due to 3GS upgrade. I did a full clean restore through iTunes to 3.0, and then ran redsn0w, with the option to unlock the phone.

So far so good.

I also have a GoPhone with its SIM which has been activated (using the GoPhone's IMEI) and is working fine.

I moved the GoPhone SIM into the iPhone, but it just says "No Service." It works normally (as a touch) other than that.

What can I do to get the iPhone working with the GoPhone SIM?

Thanks

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You said option to unlock. Does that mean you did unlock it ??

3. slpdLoad thread starter macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yeah I did. And it shows both AT&T and T-Mobile in the "Carrier" setting, so I believe the unlock was successful.

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

The 2G iPhones can be unlocked no matter what firmware they are running on (Including 3.0).

5. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

The data wont work though, because something with 3.0 software stops the data activity if its medianet and not iphone data plan, thats where i'm stuck on my 2g.
    My 3g is waiting on ultrasnow so that i can upgrade to 3.0, hopefully it will work like 2.2 using yellowsnow, if not 3GS here i come with a contract:mad:

6. slpdLoad thread starter macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

That's perfect though, because you'd burn through $100 in 2 minutes of data with a prepaid plan.

Anyone have ideas how to get a GoPhone SIM working?

7. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

the prepaid gophone sim i have is a pick your plan sim with unlimited data, this is the text i was referring to from att with the iphone data plan

Attached Files:

8. slpdLoad thread starter macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Sounds like voice should still work though, right?

9. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

yeah...but y have an iphone without data to use the apps and mobile safari

10. aspenboy macrumors member

Is this true? Can anyone verify that 3.0 doesn't allow data with medianet on a 2G iPhone? I've seen the text, but I got 3.0 and medianet to work properly on a 3G iPhone. I'm waiting to upgrade my 2G until I know more.

11. slpdLoad thread starter macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Start your own threads if you are interested in data. This is about getting voice working on an iPhone with a GoPhone SIM.

12. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

Really!!!

@ aspenboy Does your 3g data still work with medianet, i just dont want to upgrade my 3g and not be able to use the internet and other apps, so to original poster and aspenboy my 2g has phone calls working just no data and shows this message and yes i have unlocked the 2g thru redsn0w

Attached Files:

13. aspenboy macrumors member

Yes, I stick the sim from my 2G into my 3G and the medianet data plan still works, so far anyway. My 3G was jailbroken using Pwnage and then unlocked using ultrasn0w. I haven't upgraded my 2G to 3.0 yet (still on 2.2).

14. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

So ur 3g is on the 3.0 software and medianet is still working properly, cuz everyone else on the web is basically stating that as soon as they upgraded to 3.0 their non iphone data plan stopped working on their unlocked iphone but works on their other att phones, so r u absolutely sure, cuz i really dont want to upgrade if i cant use data:mad:...i'll stay on 2.2 until i decide if i wanna get the 3G S, so thanx in advance

15. aspenboy macrumors member

I won't guarantee that it will work for you, but it works for me. I haven't used it much, I'm still mainly using my 2G because I haven't yet migrated all my email and bookmarks to my 3G but i've stuck in the SIM and tested it multiple times and it works fine.

16. aspenboy macrumors member

17. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

18. penthang macrumors newbie

After updateing to OS 3.0 it wiped mine and many others APN settings, when your on wifi go to http://help.benm.at and go to the mobilconfigs link and select your country and carrier. this will reinstall the proper APN settings for data access.

19. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Anyone have luck with this? trying to use MediaNet with my 3G 3.0. the APN it downloads doesnt' seem to work

20. iphonepro macrumors newbie

iphone

buy one off ebay or buy a gophone that comes with a sim and if they ask u for a imei number just say 12 0's zero and dont tell them wat kind of phone ur using

21. Shakedown Shama macrumors newbie

GoPhone plans suck

I finally got my iPhone working with a GoPhone sim and the plans sucked..... I decided to get a Virgin Mobile MIFI device with unlimited service for 50$ a month. Than I use the VIOP app called Line2 for 10$ a month which is also unlimited calls and texting and it looks just like the iPhones phone. You can get it at toktumi.com. So I pay 60$ for unlimited everything but just have to carry Virgin device too so Theres two batteries to worry about but the upside is 4 other people can connect to my service where ever I am.