Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I don't want the 3G based on that UGLY black strip. I never liked the black strip on the original iphone either. I know its needed to get the 3G signal, but it just ruins the smooth, clean look of the ipad and makes it look like a giant remote control!

To be honest, your not going to let a tiny design feature that *has* to be incorperated make the desicin for oyu are you?

Im going for a 3G because of the *internet eveywhere* option

And when my iPad 3G is in its apple case, i dont think ill notice the black strip enough. and if i do i wont care because i have 3G

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I don't want the 3G based on that UGLY black strip. I never liked the black strip on the original iphone either. I know its needed to get the 3G signal, but it just ruins the smooth, clean look of the ipad and makes it look like a giant remote control!

Honestly, the black strip argument is complete lunacy. How the heck could you see the strip while typing on the iPad ? :rolleyes:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I am holding out for the 3G one for the same reasons. Sure, I know I will use it for the first few months then renew based on usage. But, I would rather have it and rarely use it then not have it and find a situation where I *really* need it.

I am going away in a few months on a trip that is a 4 - 5 hour drive away. Having a 3G connection will be rather awesome during that trip. My iPhone would be dead before we got there.

Ya, its $130 more ... but *shrug* I will deal.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
On the 'where does the 3G radio go', there is indeed empty space at the upper corner for the radio module. Take a look at the tear-down pix for details. From what I gather, no other changes except for the 'black stripe' to let the 'radio' out. :)

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
What is interesting, based on what Apple is saying on their site, you can just use the 250MB plan and only if needed, switch to the unlimited:

"If I choose the 250MB plan, what happens when I reach my monthly limit?
As you get close to your monthly data limit, you’ll receive onscreen messages to help you decide whether to upgrade to another 250MB or switch to the unlimited plan. You can also check your data usage anytime in Settings."

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
^^ Yes. Based on your usage if you decide you want to change from $15 (for 250MB) to $30 (for unlimited) you can do so right on the iPad. They will either charge you another $15 or they will credit the first $15 and then charge you $30.

You can also turn the plan off and be charged $0 and then turn it on later in the month.

I'm curious as to when the first month starts....May 1st???

Could that by why we are getting them in "late April" with an arrival on 4/30??? But then what will they do if someone activates on 4/30?

How will they handle April if we get them sooner? Pro-rated charge?

Or will the 30-day counter start when you activate the plan???

mukongshu

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I pre order 3g. if you always bring ipad with you , it would be a good choice. But if you do not travel a lot or leave ipad at home . I think wifi version is better.

mukongshu

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
What is interesting, based on what Apple is saying on their site, you can just use the 250MB plan and only if needed, switch to the unlimited:

"If I choose the 250MB plan, what happens when I reach my monthly limit?
As you get close to your monthly data limit, you’ll receive onscreen messages to help you decide whether to upgrade to another 250MB or switch to the unlimited plan. You can also check your data usage anytime in Settings."

That sounds funny. So everybody would choose 250mb plan first and maybe switch to unlimited...

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
I'm torn between wifi only and 3G. I have an unlimited data plan on my Nexus One and I can do a wireless tether on that. One button and its there as an access point with data encryption for security.

But then that relys on two devices having equally good battery life available. As long as my N1 has battery I can tether for internet anywhere but if that died I'd be stuck without any way of getting on the internet.

Also, GPS is something I feel would make the iPad simply awesome.

Decisions!

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
That sounds funny. So everybody would choose 250mb plan first and maybe switch to unlimited...

To answer this query, apparently it doesn't work that way...
...if you pay for the 250mb and it gets used up, yes you can switch to unlimited but that doesn't mean that you pay the difference to have unlimited for the remainder of the month -you would pay a further $30 for unlimited which would then trigger a new one month 'cycle'.
So to summarise, what i'm trying to say is this: if you upgrade from the 250mb plan just because you are almost at your limit for the month, you can't just simply top up with another $15 for the remainder of your time, unless you want another 250mb maximum. You must start a new plan for $30/month for unlimited.

From Apple website:
"As you get close to your monthly data limit, you’ll receive onscreen messages to help you decide whether to upgrade to another 250MB or switch to the unlimited plan."

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
From Apple website:
"As you get close to your monthly data limit, you’ll receive onscreen messages to help you decide whether to upgrade to another 250MB or switch to the unlimited plan."

It says switch, not upgrade, but switch could mean just moving to the other tarrif. It doesnt specify what it means, it could be percieved by other people as meaning different things, the only way to find out will be to do it

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
It says switch, not upgrade, but switch could mean just moving to the other tarrif. It doesnt specify what it means, it could be percieved by other people as meaning different things, the only way to find out will be to do it

Why, what difference does it make whether it means "upgrade" or "move"? It still means paying $30 for one month of unlimited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.