Getting 4k @ 60 Hz out of Thunderbolt Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dieseltwitch, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dieseltwitch, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

dieseltwitch macrumors regular

Im trying to find out if there is hardware out there to support 4k @ 60Hz out of my Late 2013 MBPr 15"

Right now I'm getting 4k @ 30Hz out of the HDMI port. It looks amazing... until i move the mouse. then i notice a bit of jitteryness.

I've been looking through as much stuff as I can and it seams that my graphics card has the ability but not the capability todo because of the cables. Most of what I read is posted mid 2014. Its now ¼ of the way through 2015. Im unable to find anything to tell me if I can yet get my 4K @60Hz

the screen I have is a 40" LG 40UB8000 with HDMI 2.0
    my MBPr is a 15" running a GeForce 750M w/2GB

Im looking for a cable or a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or at least some news

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You're going to need an mDP to DP/mDP cable.

3. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

even though my monitor doesn't have a mDP input? just HDMI 2.0

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then you're screwed.

4K @ 60Hz doesn't work over HDMI on rMBPs.

rMBPs and the TB-HDMI adaptor are only of the 1.4 standard.

5. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

Sad Day, do you know if they will be going to 2.0 anytime soon?

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

You're not totally screwed, it's just that the tech isn't out just yet. Parade Tech announced a chipset at CES 2015, and it's likely that Accell (Bizlink's reseller here in NA through Amazon) had indicated we'll see a DP 1.2 to HDMI 2 adapter in Q2 this year. VESA also had a press release about it but I don't have that link.

Here is a link I bookmarked: http://translate.google.co.kr/trans...hdmi_2_0_chez_bizlink-749111.html&prev=search

I had been following a thread on the AVS Forums portal, but that bookmark is on my home machine. So, patience, grasshopper... ;)

7. nagual macrumors newbie

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

No, it doesn't. The chipset needed to achieve this isn't even on the market yet. The product you cited is HDMI 1.4a, and will support 4k up to 30Hz, and it will support HD (1920x1080) at 60Hz.

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Return your current monitor for another one with the right ports...

Or sell it and put the cash forward for the new one.

10. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

Cant find a 4k 40" with Displayports.... Or I would have

11. JTToft, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

12. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You're welcome.
    Be aware, though, that my posting it didn't constitute a recommendation. I've no idea of whether or not it's actually a good monitor. I just made a search for a 40" 4K with DP to verify that it actually existed and then posted the first thing that popped up. :)

For one thing, it's not IPS, but some other technology I'm not familiar with.

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Not just any DP to miniDP cable either. It has to support Displayport 1.2.

15. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both! I will keep both in mind before I order anything. I don't really need the best of the best, I really just want the surface area. Anythings a step up from either 1080p or 15" high res

16. campyguy macrumors 68030

I've been waiting for that Philips display to be available in the US but haven't seen it yet. :(

For those interested I've been following this HardForum thread - it's 130+ pages long! Some very happy users have posted recently.
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838713

17. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I don't know, actually. But it couldn't hurt to try.

Also, it's worth finding out which cables are included with the monitor. Most have some. Dell, for instance, ship their UltraSharps with a mDP-DP cable.

19. campyguy macrumors 68030

No, I've tried - I have a few 1/3/6-footers. TB cables pass DP 1.1a.

I don't know of any 3rd-party TB cables that are DP 1.2/1.2a compatible - even then, AFAIK only Accell and Star Tech make a 1.2-compatible mDP-mDP or mDP-DP cable, and I bought the last 6-foot mDP-mDP Star Tech cable from Amazon two days ago...

On the earlier matter regarding connecting in Seattle with my employee, it didn't happen. A nasty rollover accident kept me from getting there, so I headed back to Portland for meetings with my partner. I'll try again next week...

20. campyguy macrumors 68030

Check out this post, in another thread that I'm generally following and sometimes participating in:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=21199978&postcount=1093

You could PM that member (nry0) - who just purchased a Sonnet TB2 enclosure as a passthrough for a second 4k display, and also had some success with getting up to 1440 via a passthrough on the similar Sonnect TB1 enclosure. My point is that there was passthrough of a DP signal for both TB enclosures - but the Mac being used there has a discrete video card, and I know that the Nvidia drivers were updated in 10.10.3 but I believe the Intel drivers on our Minis were not updated (I haven't checked...).

So, there's some hope for you there, maybe?

I'm needing to buy a few new Macs later this year, and with the new USB and TB specs being bantered about I'm holding off on peripheral purchases until the fall.

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Aren't you in the wrong thread? :)

22. campyguy macrumors 68030

Nope, both threads. ;)

23. benji888, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

DisplayPort is the only connection that will do 4K @ 60Hz today. HDMI 2 is not being adopted quickly, and spec is changing still.

Here is Apple's official support on 4K monitors, updated Apr 14th: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

EDIT: FYI: Veritable resource of Mac update information here: http://xlr8yourmac.com

EDIT: and yes, mDP=Thunderbolt, the connectors are the same. My Mac has a pre-Thunderbolt mDP port. The following year they added Thunderbolt electronics to the same exact connector, I'm sure this was planned, as, Thunderbolt will do DP simultaneously while doing data and all else it does.

24. dieseltwitch thread starter macrumors regular

Until campyguy posted I was having a rough time finding large size (30"+) Screen that even had a DP. I've read that page more than a few times. I knew when I got the LG screen I did that I was going to be limited to 30Hz. but Had has many more problems than just the refresh rate. The resolution goes away randomly and no about of hacks, programs, head bashing will bring it back, short of a full reformat. :( Im excited to try this new screen and report back