Getting 4S in NYC: Sprint, Verizon or ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjjp2, Oct 4, 2011.

1. bjjp2 macrumors regular

2. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

If you live in NYC... I would avoid ATT at all costs... I have ATT and sprint... and I have to have both because ATT drops tons of calls... and god forbid I try to use it during busy hours... I get called failed. Also data service is miserable in NYC on ATT.

3. drnen macrumors regular

depends on how you use your phone. I use it for data mostly, so im sticking with Att. My girl lives with me and i barely call my parents or friends so i dont use a lot of minutes. If you call a lot, Att's network is the devil's *******. I threatened to leave when verizon launched the phone and they offered me a cheaper voice plan with fewer minutes. If you like to talk to human beings, go with verizon. Data speed- go with att.

4. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am in No. VA and I am thinking about getting an iPhone now, which model and carrier should I go with? I have never had a smart phone so nothing to base my decision on. :confused:

5. NYRangers11 macrumors member

I currently have a blackberry 9700 on ATT and I am so fed up with my internet connection from noon till about 4pm. I sit at work and i cannot browse any webpages on my phone. It constantly goes from 3G to Edge.

I would assume that with the iPhone it will still be the same. I am thinking of getting the iPhone 4s as my next phone and I'm not sure which service provider to pick. The only advantage of keeping ATT is that i am grandfathered in the unlimited internet.

Besides the problems with internet, I personally never had a problem with dropped calls or dead zones.

I think I will consider going with Sprint and getting their internet + tethering plan.

6. bjjp2 thread starter macrumors regular

7. 00trayn macrumors member

I live in NOVA too and I currently have Verizon with a Droid 1. My boyfriend is on AT&T and has a iPhone 4. For Verizon, I don't really have any issues with dropped calls. But the call quality isn't the greatest. Not sure if it's the phone or the network (my Droid 1 is such a POS right now compared to an iPhone 4). Data is alright, I get it pretty much anywhere in this area and the speed is decent.

As for my bf's iPhone, he definitely drops calls on occasion or has bad call quality too. His data connection seems pretty reliable as well. Washington DC doesn't seem to have problems with Verizon or AT&T so it's really up to you in terms of price and such.

8. iprime macrumors member

Houston,TX ??

I am in the same situation. I live in Houston,TX and was leaning towards sprint because of cheaper rates for 4 lines ($200 for unlimited m2m,text and data +1500 shared minutes). How are Sprint's voice and 3G speeds in this area ?

9. sidebox macrumors member

sidebox

I am in NYC (Brooklyn to be more specific). I had sprint a few years ago, but switched to AT&T for the Iphone. I loved sprint's coverage, both in Manhattan and in Brooklyn when I was with them (not on an iPhone back then of course). I never had dropped calls and I had clear signal.

AT&T has been great for me in Brooklyn for the last few years on the Iphone, however, when I go into Manhattan I do not get great service and often times I even end up on EDGE. When I'm downtown I pretty much don't even try to browse the web...

For some reason AT&T is only going to charge me $80 to break my contract, which is up middle of next year. I have already pre-ordered with sprint and it turns out that with the unlimited plan, as well as the 450 daytime minutes I will be saving $40 on my bill a month for similar service from AT&T.

My vote is to go with sprint if you can. Keep in mind that you cannot surf the web while on a phone call with sprint though. You can only do this with AT&T. I honestly don't mind that much, as the only time this happens is when someone calls me and asks me for directions or a phone number. Now I will just have to text them the result or call them back. No biggie for the savings ($400 a year in the end).

10. hellomms macrumors regular

Upper West is the worst for ATT, other parts of Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn are decent.

11. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Haha it's so funny when AT&T try to sell you that BS stuff like surfing/talking and 4G speed - that's awesome AT&T too bad it DOESN'T WORK when you have no service in NYC!

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've had Sprint for years and traveled all over the U.S. and Canada, with it and I remember roaming and having signal issues on two occasions, both of which were in large cities, but near crowds of thousands of people all using cell phones!