Getting 5.1 For Games On 27" Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by demariners, Oct 10, 2011.

1. demariners macrumors member

So I have been doing a lot of research on getting 5.1 for my iMac. I purchased a griffin Firewave to accomplish this. It does not seem to do 5.1 for World Of Warcraft for example or any other 5.1 enabled games. When I spin the character around I lose the voices coming from the front speakers and to the center channel. I have decided to just go ahead and get a pre-amp or a Z-5500 speaker system and hook it up with the optical. I want to make sure before spending the money this will work for 5.1 games and not just movies. Anyne else have any ideas please let me know.

2. illidan155 macrumors member

i have a macbook pro 2010 with an mini toslink - toslink plugged in my z5500 and it work perfectly

3. demariners thread starter macrumors member

Does this work in games as well? And it is true 5.1 sound? When I use my fire wave when I spin the character around I lose the voices from the center channel and when I hear let's say birds in the rear channels they are not there unless I look at them in the game. Any suggestions?

4. illidan155 macrumors member

yes it work even in games since it is the control pod that conver the 2.1 signal to a 5.1 even when there is no 5.1 but if there is a 5.1 source you get realistic 5.1 dolby sorround since all modern game support 5.1 there is no problem

look here

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=305486&d=1318195854d=1318195854

5. demariners thread starter macrumors member

I understand, but I would like to know if it is discrete 5.1 from the games such as World Of Warcraft or Team Fortress 2. They have settings for Multichannel but I do not know if the game itself outputs 5.1 through the optical output. Any ideas?