Getting 6-core 3.33 RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stiwi, Nov 13, 2010.

1. stiwi macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I am getting the MP 6-Core 3.33GHz and I need some advise regarding RAM. It will ship with 3x 1GB sticks, however I am willing to buy some RAM from OWC. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

- to leave the 3x 1GB sticks + add 1x 4GB to have 7GB in total or
    - to remove 1GB stick and add 2x 4GB to existing 2x 1GB sticks to have 10GB in total
    - to remove Apple sticks completely and buy 3x 4GB to have 12GB running in total.

Can you advise me on which of the options above will be the most efficient & reasonable? I have to add that I will neither fully utilize 12GB nor even 10GB at this point of time.

2. toxic macrumors 68000

if 7 is all you need, then just get a 4 GB stick. you can always buy more later.

3. stiwi thread starter macrumors regular

I am considering this. But what about dual or triple channels in this case. How efficient will work out the 4GB stick with 3x 1GB sticks?

4. toxic macrumors 68000

the performance gains from multi-channel are so marginal they aren't worth considering.

to answer your question, though, if you use all four slots then triple-channel is disabled. 3x1GB + 1x4 would be a dual channel 1GB pair and the other two slots would be single. I'm pretty sure, anyway.

5. steffi macrumors 6502a

My MP 6-Core is arriving this week too. I'd suggest since you only have 4 slots paying for 8 GIG DIMMS. I'm probably going to buy 2 x 8 GIG DIMMs.

6. stiwi thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but in this option I would have to remove 3x 1GB Apple sticks completely. Also is 1x 8GB stick (with three other empty slots) running faster than 2x 4GB?

Also the 8GB sticks are still a bit expensive. They cost 40% more than 4GB sticks. That makes sense only if you are sure now that 16GB won't be enough for you within the next 1-2 years. In 3 years time the 8GB sticks might become so cheap that it won't hurt to throw away the 4GB sticks and replace them.

7. steffi, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

steffi macrumors 6502a

My rationale is that inflation and dollar will push ram prices up in the future. I figure it's as cheap as it will be for a long time now. So I'll buy more than what I need now but not need to throw away what I already purchased later.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

whatever you do, consider that there is a reason it shipps with 3 sticks.
    it has triple channel memory, meaning it accesses three modules as if they were one. the result is you get 3x the bandwidth with three sticks, then if you just bought one.