Getting a 13 inch MBP, just one question (new to mac)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by unknown0, May 16, 2010.

1. unknown0 macrumors member

I am getting a 13 inch MBP and it will be my first mac :) Classes start June 22 so hopefully the BTS sale comes by then.

The question I had is whether the upgrade to the processor is worth it? The base model has a 2.4 C2D while the upgraded one has a 2.66 C2D (plus a bigger hd). The hd size is not a huge issue to me, so I am more focused on whether the upgraded processor will actually make a difference (it's a $300 difference which is huge to a poor college student like me).

I want this mac to last me 4 yrs and then I'll be ready for an upgrade. I am mostly going to use it for internet, word, powerpoint, watching movies. I don't do any photoshop or intensive stuff like that. So would it be worth it to upgrade the processor?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Always get the best that you can afford. You won't regret it.

3. crazymac2010 macrumors newbie

low-end

i think the 2.4 will be enough for you. $300 seems too much for little performance increase. And you won't notice the speed difference according to your situation

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

For your uses, the upgrade wouldn't at all be worth it. Unless you do something very processor intensive, you would notice zero difference. Even at that, it isn't much of a speed bump. Keep the $300 for other college needs, the 2.4 will serve you very well.

5. DrIgg macrumors member

Unless you are an intense gamer, or have a penchant for molecular modeling or 3D rendering I would recommend getting the lesser processor. Spend the extra money on books.

Welcome to the Mac world BTW. I was a PC user for twenty years until my first MBP 13" last year. That computer convinced me to switch my office and lab group to Macs. I haven't regretted it yet.:)

6. 4PPLEM4C macrumors newbie

I would say go for the 2.4.

The extra money for 0.26 isn't worth it, save that for something else.

7. EasyJW macrumors member

i always say if you want a speed increase, get more ram! you'll barely notice 0.26ghz but you will definately notice $300 missing [​IMG]

8. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I wouldn't do it. The difference is very small.

9. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Sorry to thread jack, but would you benefit from the larger 2.66GHz processor when playing semi-intensive games such as Sims 3 and Spore?

I am in the same kind of situation as you, but I will be doing some simple editing on GIMP, ripping movies on Handbrake, and some not very intensive gaming. What would be my best option?

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You would be fine with the 2.4. I have what is essentially the 2.4 with half the RAM and it still plays sims well. I don't think the tiny bump in speed is worth it.

11. feflower macrumors regular

If you want to save $300 don't get it--not necessary.

If you have $300 to play with--then the following is a better investment for the college student:

1) Backup external drive plus SuperDuper
    2) Either iWork or Mac Office (I prefer the word processor Mellel)
    3) A good protective bag
    4) BOOKS

Other things you could consider for schoolwork:
    1) DevonThink
    2) Sente

If you are unfamiliar with these, do a search.

12. Raje macrumors member

Nope :) Apple just sells the more expensive version to make a larger profit. You would never notice a .26ghz increase in speed something that takes 2 hours to do(with the 2.4) would take you 1hr 59min 58sec(with the 2.66). So unless those 2 seconds are extremely important the $300 can be spent elsewhere. Upgrading to an SSD or to 8gb of Ram would make a noticeable increase but the processor would not.

13. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Ahh ok, Ill just spend that £250 on a Magic Mouse, Incase Sleeve, WD External Drive and Microsoft Office 2011 then. :p

14. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

besides the 2.66 GHz clearly not worth $300, why not buy a SSD and remove the stock HDD and put it in an external enclosure rather than buying an WD External Drive.
    Then look at Logitech mice, such as the M705 or Performance MX, Apple mice tend to be overpriced and poorly implemented. Also check with your bookstore, you maybe able to obtain Office for very little (it was $10 at my school).

15. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

This sound a little harsh, so sorry if it comes across in that way. Firstly, I've decided against the SSD as I believe they are currently not worth the extra money for my needs. When the price of a 256GB SSD comes down significantly I may think about it as I am also not that confident in opening up the back of a MBP. Regarding the mouse, I've been looking at Bluetooth mice, and the two Logitech ones that have this functionality have quite bad reviews and since the Magic Mouse is made by Apple I can easily get it replaced/repaired etc. Lastly, I'm in the UK so I'm not sure the thing about the books and Office applies here?