Getting a 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chris88, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Chris88 macrumors member

Hi I will be getting a 24" iMac today and would like some help. I have been using windows xp. How hard is it to hook up the printer and modem to my mac. I will not be using the windows computer it's on the way out. All so I would like to get my book marks and address book off of the window computer. Man I am so ready to get my mac. Thanks for any help you give

Chris

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Congrats on the switch, i couldn't sleep the night before my mac arrived, as for the printer, simple, just in case i installed the drivers for both my printers, plugged them in, and depending which printer is switched on, document or photo the mac has no problem recognising it,as for the modem, i use a cable modem, just plugged it in, and opened safari, it run the diagnostic, found the connection, never had a problem since, When using a windoz peecee the key word with xp was plug and play, well it's a whole lot easier & better on the mac, as for bookmarks and address book, just copy manually, once its all up and running your 1st mac session should last............ohhh a lifetime :D

I never have and doubt i ever will regret switching, good luck ;)

3. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am very ready to switch to mac I would think it should be easy to get the modem and printer to work but I needed to make sure. I just need this to be easy because I need to make sure my wife does not have a hard time adjusting to the mac.

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

You will have no worries, my wife uses windows pc's everyday at work, she has no problem using the mac in my office when there are no reality shows to watch and she has projects to do, your wife may find using osx easier and better than using windows,
    any doubts will soon be quashed when problems arise, just ask anyone on macrumors for assistance, ive found everyone to be very friendly and helpful.
    there will be no looking back ;)

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Just to give you final reassurance - what sort of printer will you be connecting to the iMac?

As for bookmarks and addresses, I would use whatever export facilities you have and hopefully you will be able to import them into Safari and AddressBook

6. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

Hi I got my 24" iMac and I am on it now. Man I love this thing. I got the printer set up and working I am using a HP all in one. I have it hooked up using 802.11 and it's work fine. I am having problems with the email address and the bookmarks. I emailed them to my mac and now the windows xp computer is gone.

7. Chris88 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah she should do ok. I just need to get the email and bookmarks working. And yes everyone is very nice a very helpful in here I like it here.

8. Chuckypool macrumors member

Export bookmarks

Hi,
    I exported my IE favorites (windows XP) and then copied the html file it produced onto my iMac using a USB flash drive.

Safari imported them no problem, though it took a second or two for me to find them - they were under bookmarks, IE import - that days date or something like that. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Chris

9. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

:eek: