getting a 3GS 32GB for $299 using my dad's account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChromeAce, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ChromeAce macrumors member

I bought the iPhone 2G on day 1.

I upgraded to the iPhone 3G on day 1 with full discount pricing.

I want the iPhone 3GS on day 1 with full discount pricing.

My dad has an iPhone 2G on his AT&T account and doesn't want to upgrade as he never uses the data features. He just likes the phone.

From Apple's website, I entered his phone number to check for eligibility and got the $299 price. Apple is using my logon credentials to send a new 3GS to my address.

I'm assuming all iPhones are identical when new in the box and not tied to any account that was affiliated with the order. This was true of the two previous models.

I'm also assuming that the online eligibility process is simply a way for Apple to determine what price to charge, as they are going to get money from AT&T for each sale. They will get the full subsidy from AT&T for my phone based on their sale to me at full discount price. However, I do not believe this transaction is yet "tied" to a specific AT&T account. It's just a checking procedure.

When I get the phone in the mail, I will activate it in iTunes using my phone number, not my dad's. This will deactivate my old 3G's SIM and activate the 3GS with my phone number on my account. At this point, I believe AT&T will charge my account for the upgrade fee and activation fee and extend my contract for 2 years as they do will ALL iPhone activations. Then I'll be done. My dad should not see any new charges on his account, nor will he see a contract extension. And I will have received the 3GS at the full discounted price.

This theory is based largely on one major assumption... that when Apple does the "check for eligibility" online via AT&T, nothing is recorded in AT&T's database to indicate which account this activation is for. It's simply a check.

I will know for sure if I am right on June 19. If I am not right, I told my dad I will reimburse him for any fees. And if his contract gets extended, he told me he doesn't care. He's happy with his 2G.

Anyone see any problems with this? Wouldn't this be stealing $200 from AT&T?

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

No, it should work. I would do the same thing if I was you...

3. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I cannot answer your question, only I will mention that I am doing something similar.

I bought a 32gb 3G S, like you did, on my mother's account using my credit card since she was eligible for the upgrade price. I plan on moving (not cancelling) the service to my name, charging everything to me. Then I'll pick her up at an additional line. I get a discount for monthly service through my employer, so it ends up being even cheaper.

I'll simply figure out a way to do this, lol.

4. johnnyburke macrumors newbie

I'm doing the same thing. I called ATT because my grandfather's line is eligible for an upgrade while mine isn't (i had the 1G and 2G iphones both on release date) and she told me that all I have to do when the phone is delivered is call them and have them switch the IMEI numbers.

She also said that when I purchase the phone, it will also create a $30.00 data plan for iPhone on my grandfather's but that will be removed when the phones are switched.

When I called to confirm this today, I got a different story but I can't imagine why this wouldn't work.