Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I have made the decision to get a 3GS to replace my 3G phone which has not been the same since upgrading to iOS4. My phone still suffers from unacceptable lag, updated apps still crash, and the features added to 4 do not justify this. I don't want to hear stories in the press that say "Apple is working on it..." - they should have been aware of it before the phone was released. Meeting some deadline does not justify putting out an update that messes up peoples' phones. Maybe the 3G base would have cried but as Apple users, we are used to features being left out (no blu ray, USB 3.0, etc).

I doubt I would drop AT&T as I have been in the lucky minority who has had very few problems with them. But, I will get the Galaxy S or perhaps even go back to my old, ancient Blackberry if the 3GS gives me the same problems. I don't need a lot of the games, etc and what good does it do me to have a phone on which the apps crash anyways?

A parent recently needed to buy a laptop and was interested in the mac. They live in the middle of nowhere so a trip to an Apple store is a decent road trip for them. For that reason, among others, I advised them to buy a Lenovo PC so they can change the battery themselves, etc.

As I've said before, I'm new to Apple over the past 1.5 years. While they are no doubt better than low, and some middle end PC manufacturers, they are no better than the top end PC's - Lenovo and some of the high-end HP's. I am disillusioned for sure. It always seems like when companies start growing so large, they start getting more things wrong that to consumers like me seem like they should get right (a la antenna, sluggish OS on 3G, etc). Maybe if they stopped spending so much time on figuring out how to use the words magical and revolutionary and started focusing more on the little things that drive non-naive consumers crazy, their base would be happier. Not hard to do, just need to do it.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I read you post a few times, but still don't understand what your post is about. Are are asking us for advice on whether to buy the 3GS, or you bought it already and just wanted to troll Apple :confused:

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bad experiences happen.

But getting last year's model may be part of what got you into this mess in the first place.

Get a 4. Take it back within 30 days if you don't love it.

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bad experiences happen.

But getting last year's model may be part of what got you into this mess in the first place.

Get a 4. Take it back within 30 days if you don't love it.

What got me into this mess was downloading iOS4.

I can't justify the 4.I've just heard too many complaints concerning fragility that even though I am careful with my phone, it gives me pause. I think the 3GS will work fine.

The purpose of the original post was just venting. Nothing big. Just looking forward to the S.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Within a period of 1 week I had a 8GB 3G, 8GB 3GS and a 16GB 4....

all running 4.0.1

The difference between the 3G and 3GS primarily is speed. Other then that there is not much of a difference (sure it can shoot video etc but the differences between the 3G and 3GS are a lot less then the differences between the 3G or 3GS and the 4).

If you think the differences between the 3GS and the 4 are not noticeable then you are fooling yourself.

Believe what you want but I've had my 4 for a week 1/2 now and I've used over 450 minutes in talk time. I have not dropped a single call and I do not use a case. My iPhone does not have a single scratch on it and yes I have dropped it.

Also, last time I checked you can replace MacBook batteries yourself... they just pop out and back in?

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US

The Galaxy-S is a decent phone, but with a price so close to that of a new iPhone 4, I'd still give the 4 a try first.

Consider that your going to be paying $2000+ over the next two years anyway, so is saving $100 really worth having a last gen phone for the duration?

And yes iOS4 on my 3G sucked bigtime, (-1 for Apple on that one)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A parent recently needed to buy a laptop and was interested in the mac. They live in the middle of nowhere so a trip to an Apple store is a decent road trip for them. For that reason, among others, I advised them to buy a Lenovo PC so they can change the battery themselves, etc.

This makes me sad.

The Mac is sill 100x better than the iPhone.

For you to advise them against it based on your iPhone experiences is just...ugh. It just makes me sad is all. Do you even have a Mac? You really made a computer suggestion based on a cell phone?

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
This makes me sad.

For you to advise them against it based on your iPhone experiences is just...ugh. It just makes me sad is all. Do you even have a Mac? You really made a computer suggestion based on a cell phone?

I do have a Mini. Some may argue that's a poor model to make a decision on but it's still an Apple and I wasn't confident enough in it to recommend it. She wouldn't hear of a desktop but the Thinkpad arrived yesterday and she's been very pleased with it. My own experience with Win 7 has been stellar. I told her there was a point, probably in the XP/Vista era where Macs has the upper hand on Windows but I see 7 as an equalizer. 99% of the software I use will only run on a PC and while I'm aware of running 7 on a Mac, I just choose not to at this point. Not trying to start a flame war, just acknowledging that folks should use what suits them best. If the S runs well, I'd use it for a good while.

I'll probably get mocked for this but I don't care: I had a Blackberry 8830, which was one of, if not the first, color screen model they came out with. I used it for a long time and still have it. People teased me about it but it was a strong, durable phone that worked well for me. The build quality on it was excellent - much better than the curves and surpassed only by the Bold. My point was that I didn't care about the looks it got b/c it worked well for me. Hopefully the S will work the same way for me.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
it still puzzles me as to why you advised anyone that they could not replace their MacBook's laptop battery themselves.... :confused:

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Within a period of 1 week I had a 8GB 3G, 8GB 3GS and a 16GB 4....

all running 4.0.1

The difference between the 3G and 3GS primarily is speed. Other then that there is not much of a difference (sure it can shoot video etc but the differences between the 3G and 3GS are a lot less then the differences between the 3G or 3GS and the 4).

If you think the differences between the 3GS and the 4 are not noticeable then you are fooling yourself.

Believe what you want but I've had my 4 for a week 1/2 now and I've used over 450 minutes in talk time. I have not dropped a single call and I do not use a case. My iPhone does not have a single scratch on it and yes I have dropped it.

Also, last time I checked you can replace MacBook batteries yourself... they just pop out and back in?

Does it not void the warranty to do it yourself on the new ones? Where would you even get a battery? Taking a cover off is not something they would be comfortable doing. Her Lenovo batt slides out if you hold down a button.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I do have a Mini. Some may argue that's a poor model to make a decision on but it's still an Apple and I wasn't confident enough in it to recommend it. She wouldn't hear of a desktop but the Thinkpad arrived yesterday and she's been very pleased with it.

A mini?

The whole point is that Apple's laptops are amazing. My advice always goes like this:

1) What phone should I buy? - I really love my iPhone, but if you have a specific reason to buy some other phone then you should get what works for you best.

2) What desktop should I buy? - I love the Mac OS, but Windows has really improved. The iMac is nice but there are a lot of great PC machines out there. I'd suggest the Mac but if you really like Windows there are great options out here.

3) What laptop should I buy? - Anything from Apple! The build quality and features are unparalleled. If you need Windows, cool, just run Boot Camp 100% of the time and ignore OS X. It doesn't matter what OS you want to run but the laptop hardware is simply fantastic.

= = = =

So for you to use your experience with #1 and #2 to give advice on #3 is really amazing to me. 1 and 2 are the two areas where I DON'T defend Apple 100% of the time, but #3 is.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Does it not void the warranty to do it yourself on the new ones? Where would you even get a battery? Taking a cover off is not something they would be comfortable doing. Her Lenovo batt slides out if you hold down a button.

Nope, it doesn't void warranty (I think. I know you can replace the hard drive without voiding warranty and I believe ram, and you have to disconnect the battery to do either of those. And honestly, it is pretty simple. I'm not some one who really messes with electronics much and I replaced the hard drive/ram/top keyboard case/cooling fan in my old mac and it was *really* simple. As long as you can use a screwdriver).

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Does removing the battery on the Lenova void warranty??

It just pops out... Ram is also accessible through the battery opening.

The only Apple products I know of where you can't replace the battery without voiding warranty is iPods and iPhones... but then if you buy applecare and your battery shows signs of weakening at the end of the 2nd year then apple will replace the iPhone..

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
It's water under the bridge anyways on the laptop. Unless it turns out to be a dud, I think she'll be happy with it. Plus, how can you put a price on not having to teach a family member a new OS, simple as it may be to use? I mean no disrespect there - just that she has little interest in learning a new OS despite being intrigued on macs and I'd rather show her a few things on Win 7 and be done with it.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
This makes me sad.

I know! Honestly I'd slit my wrists if I ever had to go back to a Windoze based PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.