Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

I bought a new display. The display come with a HDMI, and a Mini DisplayPort. My old MacBook Pro has a Mini DisplayPort.

I need a "Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable", or a "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter".

Which is better?

And, if a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, is "converting to HDMI" bad? Since both the display and my MBP have MiniDisplayPort.

Besides, does the Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter sold at Apple Online Store support 2K(1440p). The description for the product only said that it supports 1080p and 4K.

Quote from Apple Support Page, "using HDMI at larger than 1920 by 1080p requires the EXACT right cables and adapters, which can be difficult to get right on the first shot."

Thanks.

Ed

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Hi,

I bought a new display. The display come with a HDMI, and a Mini DisplayPort. My old MacBook Pro has a Mini DisplayPort.

I need a "Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable", or a "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter".

Which is better?

And, if a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, is "converting to HDMI" bad? Since both the display and my MBP have MiniDisplayPort.

Besides, does the Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter sold at Apple Online Store support 2K(1440p). The description for the product only said that it supports 1080p and 4K.

Quote from Apple Support Page, "using HDMI at larger than 1920 by 1080p requires the EXACT right cables and adapters, which can be difficult to get right on the first shot."

Thanks.

Ed
MDP -> MDP will be better than HDMI, much more so. That cable is exactly the same thing as a Thunderbolt cable.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
MDP -> MDP will be better than HDMI, much more so. That cable is exactly the same thing as a Thunderbolt cable.
No, miniDisplayport cables are not the same as Thunderbolt and aren't interchangeable even though they look the same. Thunderbolt cables have active electronics in them while the mini Displayport cables do not.
[doublepost=1498180421][/doublepost]
There won't be a difference in quality. Both are digital signals. A mini Displayport cable may be less than the adapter. Something like this will work: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13364

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
There are a couple versions of HDMI and the older ones don't support the highest resolutions. While you may be able to get perfectly good results with mDP -> HDMI, it's a little bit like shooting down your leg and hoping not to hit your foot. Just get an mDP -> mDP cable from e.g. monoprice and declare victory.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

For Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cables, are there any brands that you'd recommend?

What about the brands PRO-BEST and LINDY?

Just to make sure, MDP to MDP cables are better than MFP to HDMI adapters. But what about "average price(quality) MDP to MDP cables and MDP to HDMI cable(came with the Samsung display) + Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort To HDMI Adapter"?

BTW, why is MDP -> MDP better?

Mine is a 17-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, what version of MDP to MDP cable do I need to get?

Thanks.

Ed

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I wouldn't over-think this. Go to monoprice.com or other reputable vendor and get whatever length you need. I think mDP is already at DisplayPort 1.2 level; you can get a cable compatible with a newer version but unless you're driving 5K or higher monitors I don't think you need that.

HDMI is a crap plug / socket design, and you need HDMI 2.0 to get data rates that mDP does out of the box.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

My MacBook Pro certainly is not HDMI 2.0. So does it mean that the "Mini DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort cables" will be a better selection then the "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters"? (I googled for more info, and my Mid 2010 MBP doesn't seem to have a build-in HDMI port if it's correct).

Moreover, what's the difference between DisplayPort 1.2 and DisplayPort 1.3?

BTW, should I get a LINDY CROMO Mini DisplayPort To Mini DisplayPort Cable(2 m - 34.00 USD)

Or a Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter(34.95 USD) that will be working with the HDMI to HDMI cable came with my Samsung display.

Which do you recommend?

I'm not sure what DisplayPort version and HDMI version my Samsung display(2017) have. I've checked with the Samsung Tech Support, and will know tomorrow. But are they important?

Thanks.

Ed

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You need a minidisplayport (Mac end) to minidisplayport (monitor end) cable.
That's the best solution.
HDMI probably isn't going to give you the results you want.

A 2010 MacBook Pro can't do 4k.
Hook up the display, and see what resolutions are offered.
Then, pick the one you like best.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

My new display is a Samsung 32" WQHD(2560X1440) Curved monitor. What resolution is best for the display? And, how do I choose a resolution?

Thanks.

Ed

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE:
"My new display is a Samsung 32" WQHD(2560X1440) Curved monitor. What resolution is best for the display? And, how do I choose a resolution?"

I would think 2560x1440, eh…? ;)

Resolutions are chosen in the "displays" preference pane.
Click the "scaled" radio button to see more options.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
DP 1.3 supports higher transfer rates needed by very hi-res and/or large monitors (e.g. 5K monitors). Your MBP doesn't support any display that needs DP 1.3, so a 1.2 cable is just fine.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
No, miniDisplayport cables are not the same as Thunderbolt and aren't interchangeable even though they look the same. Thunderbolt cables have active electronics in them while the mini Displayport cables do not.
I should have added "with respect to displays, they are the same". I incorrectly assumed that since the thread is about connecting a display, we were only talking about display signals. TB carries a DisplayPort signal, but it can also carry data. For a display, you want to use the TB port for maximum performance. Any HDMI <2.0 will not run 4k at 60Hz. TB2 supports DisplayPort 1.2, which will run 4k @60Hz. HDMI @2.0 are only just beginning to appear.

Last edited:

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
RE:
"My new display is a Samsung 32" WQHD(2560X1440) Curved monitor. What resolution is best for the display? And, how do I choose a resolution?"

I would think 2560x1440, eh…? ;)

Resolutions are chosen in the "displays" preference pane.
Click the "scaled" radio button to see more options.

Hi, Fis,

What I meant was that "how do I choose a resolution that's best for my Samsung display"? Is 2560X1440 the best choice?

Thanks.

Ed

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
If 2560 x 1440 is the max that display or MBP can run, then yes, that's the best option. The apparent pixel size will be roughly the same as a 24 inch display at 1920x1200 (e.g. an Apple 24 inch LCD Display), with considerably more screen space. It's a very good resolution and display size selection, especially for working with text, assuming that you don't need super-fine detail in photos or video.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Hi, Fis,

What I meant was that "how do I choose a resolution that's best for my Samsung display"? Is 2560X1440 the best choice?
Most displays list a "native resolution" in their specs, and that is usually the best choice. I suspect your 32" Samsung lists 2560x1440 as native, as that is common to 27" and up sized monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.