Carrier Getting a Contract-Free iPhone 6S for Verizon on Release Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joebob73, Sep 7, 2015.

1. joebob73 macrumors newbie

I searched the message boards and there were a couple of threads talking about related topics, but I have a very specific question.

How do I order a Verizon iPhone 6S for delivery on release day and pay full price? I have unlimited data and want to retain it. I don't want to call the Apple stores on release day hoping they have my model/color/config in-store. It is much simpler to just do the preorder.

However on the website, the only choices I have for ordering an Iphone 6 today are to order the Tmobile version or the Sim Free versions. My understanding is that I should order the Sim Free version, but there will likely not be a 6S Sim Free version on release day. Is Tmobile my only choice?

Can anyone offer advice? Thanks.

2. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

In the past I have had to preorder from Verizon's website to buy "device only". Apple's site won't let you do that if you are eligible for an upgrade. (I maintained unlimited data with full price phones for several years until just recently on VZW).

It is the unfortunate price you pay for keeping your UDP plan. You can also hope for the SIM free on launch day or buy the T-mobile version from Apple instead of the VZW phone.

3. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

So I can buy the T-Mobile version and it should work fine with my Verizon UDP plan?

Thanks.

4. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Last year T-Mobile was the only company to have their iPhones carrier locked. All other 3 majors didn't. So for the moment I would do nothing. Once Apple holds their event every carrier will have a pre-order option on their website. Since the "S" series seems to be less popular on launch day, you could just go to a Verizon store and grab it. I wouldn't expect them to sell out like last year.

5. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I always wait in line on launch day for this reason (actually, I camp out the night before). I can't order through Apple for delivery on launch day, and I find ordering device-only through Verizon to be hit or miss. Apple doesn't typically sell unlocked, carrier-free devices for weeks after launch, and I always buy the Verizon version anyway since I know it's unlocked and I can use it with any US carrier (my work phone is AT&T).