iPad Getting a data plan for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slapple, Dec 6, 2013.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

So if I want to get the free 200MB/month data plan from T-Mobile for my iPad Air, I just need to go to T-Mobile and pay $10 for a nano-SIM card and sign up for an account with them?

Do I need to bring the iPad into the store?

2. mpantone, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

The activation process was a bit confusing and the two store staffers who helped me (including a manager) weren't on the same page all the time.

I did bring my iPad to the store, and I'm glad I did, because they asked to verify that I was connecting to the Internet (by viewing a web page).

Ultimately, I ended up paying the ten dollars to activate the T-Mobile SIM card that had shipped in my Retina iPad mini. They did not bust out a new SIM. The store visit was about fifteen minutes, and when I left, I had an iPad on the T-Mobile LTE network. Mission accomplished.

The sheet of paper they gave to me shows that the device is on the 200MB free data plan, so hopefully when the next reset day comes up, the meter will just reset and I won't get charged/pestered about a data plan renewal.

I can also confirm that this T-Mobile iPad data service is compatible with Onavo Extend (a cellular data compression service which runs as a VPN). 200MB is a pretty modest cellular data quota for a tablet, so I'm hoping to squeeze out a bit more using Onavo.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can get a Nano-SIM shipped to you for free on the T-Mobile website. They usually ship within a couple of days.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Nano-SIM-Card-Prepaid

4. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Just put the SIM in, turn off Wi-Fi, go to Settings, Cellular Data, View Account. It will walk you through signing up.

6. mpantone macrumors 6502

Thank you very much! I apparently activated my iPad before these freebies were available.

I just ordered one, just in case something bizarre happens and my free data plan expires or something stupid like that when it is up for renewal in about three weeks.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Some good answers already. You may also want to read some of the other threads already active that discuss the process. Just scroll down through postings from the past week.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You shouldn't have to worry about that. My first month just passed, and the 200MB plan rolled over, no problem. You do get an e-mail a couple days beforehand saying it's going to expire, but then right after it does, you get an e-mail saying it renewed.

(Incidentally, this even works if you buy one of those on demand passes.)

9. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Got the SIM, put it in, and I just signed up for the plan. It was pretty easy. I didn't even have to use the Activation Code they gave me. There was a piece of paper in the package saying I should update my APN settings - do I need to worry about that, or is that only for iPhones?

10. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Don't worry about the APN settings, the iPad takes care of that.