Getting a Desktop alias inside a folder?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by kat.hayes, May 13, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

How can I get a Desktop alias to display on the left sider under Favorites where the Devices are displayed?

Thanks.

2. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

Finder - Preferences - Sidebar - check Desktop in "Show these items in the sidebar" :)

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interestingly, that was already checked off, along with many other items that are not showing up in the sidebar. What is wrong?

Thanks.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Probably something hosed in your User Account. You could log in to a test account (create it if you don't have one) and see if it has the same problem.

If not, you could try going back into your usual account and open the Library folder (Option + Go Menu > Library) open the Preferences folder and drag out the com.apple.finder.plist file, then restart.

5. stanw macrumors 6502a

What other things are saved to the Preferences folder that will be deleted if this is done?

6. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

No, no, don't delete Preferences folder - just com.apple.finder.plist.
    Finder will be set, after Mac reboot, to its default settings (like it was when first booting into new OS X).

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Correct!
    But I'm not sure it would be a disaster if you did. Most plist files are probably factory default anyway. It will let you delete the folder, but I think a new one would be created upon Restart.

8. owbp, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016

owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

You're right :)
    I've just tried it with Snow Leopard (got too much stuff in El Cap to play with it right now) and it restores whole folder on restart.

I know from experience that it restores pref plists, but wasn't sure on the whole folder structure.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That was brave!