Getting a free MacBook! Some Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NikMac, Jun 12, 2008.

1. NikMac macrumors member

Hi everyone.

Long story short, I'm getting a free MacBook, should arrive sometime next week :D (no, it's not one of those referral sites, or anything scammy.)

Firstly, let me say I'm on Windows Vista right now and it's not as bad as some say it is. On the other hand, I've never used OSX before. I guess I've been reluctant to use a mac in the past due to inaccessibility in my area and the fact that I had some bad experiences the last time I used a Mac... I think it was OS 5 :p.

I looked on Apple's website one night, and within minutes I was "switched." Not sure if OSX is that great or if I'm easily persuaded by pretty ads. Bye-bye blue screen of death, hello expensive apple stuff...

If I really wanted to buy one I'd wait until the Montevina update, but... it's free :cool:.
    I'm posting this here because I'm pretty certain it's a 2.4Ghz White Macbook, although it could be any other model, or even a MBP :O (*loves the backlit keyboard on those things*)!

Anyways, onto the questions...

Windows on a Mac/Bootcamp
    I'm probably going to install Windows XP using bootcamp, as I have a few Windows only games/apps. A few questions concerning that...

1. Will installing Bootcamp slow down the mac at all? Will XP run slower than normal?

2. Is the partition adjustable in size after installing Bootcamp?

3. I've heard of Parallels and VMware fusion. Are these slower than Bootcamp and able to run games?

4. Anything else about running Windows on a Mac which I should know?

File Transfer
    1. I don't have an external hard drive; would I be able to use MobileMe's iDisk to transfer files from my PC to Mac?

2. How easy is it to import email from Microsoft Outlook into Mail?

3. How can I import my iTunes library onto the MacBook?

4. Anything else I should know about file transfer? I've skimmed through Apple's "Move to Mac" website already.

The MacBook itself...
    1. I've read these forums for a while... is palm rest discoloration and case cracking still an issue in the newer MacBooks? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent this?

2. Do the White MacBook's scratch easily? If so, is there anything (feasible) I can do to prevent this?

3. Is the palm rest really as uncomfortably sharp as I've heard it is?

4. When I turn it on for the first time, should I have the power supply plugged in?

5. The MacBook will be more of a 'portable desktop' for me, probably spending most time, uh, on top of a desk :p. Should I have the power supply plugged in most of the time (most convenient), or let it drain and charge when necessary (best for battery?)?

Mac Software
    1. Stupid question, but... is it FAST? :D One of the the things I've disliked about Windows is that not only does it take 1-2 mins to start, but after that I have to wait a few minutes for it to become responsive whilst it opens all the startup apps. Can I expect something like this on a Mac, or will it be ready to use immediately after it boots?

2. About viruses, spyware etc... Do I need to install antivirus software on a Mac?

3. Even if viruses/spyware are coded for Windows and don't do anything to a Mac, are they still downloaded and existing on the Mac system? If so, is there a way to delete them?

4. Can someone explain the mac folder hierarchy, "terminal" and trash to me? I kind of get it, but a simplified version would be great. What's all this about dragging disk drives to the trash? :confused: From what I remember in OS 5ish, you had to drag every app to the trash when you were finished with it o_O.

5. I'm running Safari on Windows Vista right now, and I've gotta say I like Firefox better as it 'pre-loads' web pages faster, and is more customizable. How does Safari compare to Firefox on a Mac?

6. Are iWork 08 and Office for Mac 2008 as bad as everyone says they are? =|

7. If I were to order Office for Mac 2008 - is "Messenger for Mac" the Mac equivalent of Windows Live Messenger? Does it support video chat with the iSight camera?

8. Does Skype support video chat with iSight on a Mac?

9. Is iChat only compatible with AIM on Windows? Is video chat between the two supported?

10. Anything else I should know (I've seen the recommended software list)?

Other
    1. Is the Apple Remote included with the iPod Universal Dock compatible with the MacBook? I plan on using FrontRow and Keynote/Powerpoint a lot, and figure I might as well get the Dock if I need the remote.

2. AppleCare is BEEPING EXPENSIVE... but I think it's worth it, probably due to all the problem-posters here :p. I'm assuming that I can wait until the 90 day phone support expires and buy AppleCare on, say, day 89 without a problem? XD

3. Overall, is there anything else I should know? I've read through most of the "Mac 101" "Switch 101" and "Move to Mac" parts of Apple's website.
    ---
    I'll probably update this list as I think of a bunch more questions :).

Thanks.

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

here you are

3. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

Great questions! I have a question. You asked this but im not sure if i misread it...
    For video chat, how does that work? What program do i need to be under to use it? Ichat? Aim? if im on the windows side, can i use video chat? would i use it under aim?? and hows Msn messenger on the mac??

Thanks

4. John01021988 macrumors 6502

For MSN video chat, you can use aMSN or Adium

5. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks for the quick answers everyone. A few more questions:

1. I have a large amateur radio transceiver (if anyone knows what that is :p) which will probably be within a few inches of the MacBook. Would this do anything to the magnetic field and whatnot?

2. I'm in Canada... would a teacher-on-call be eligible for an education or back-to-school discount?

3. Concerning iChat and AIM compatibility... (aim on PC)
    a) is video chat supported for up to four people as in iChat, or just two?
    b) Does AIM support screen sharing with iChat?

4. How far is the MacBook's wifi range? I have a wireless router downstairs, and the Macbook will probably be upstairs. Will I notice a decrease in signal strength?

Also, I have a playstation3 and other wifi/bluetooth enabled devices which unfortunately have trouble connecting to the router, probably due to distance. Could these devices somehow connect to the MacBook and increase their signal strength?

Thanks again :).

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Just thought I'd give my view on some of these questions

7. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Few more questions :p

Thanks Robertson. A few more for now:

1. Is it bad to leave the MacBook in sunlight? It'll probably be at a desk in front of a window for most of the day..

2. If I were to install bootcamp, then install something like Parallels and uninstall bootcamp, would Parallels be able to use the Windows XP partition I created after I uninstall bootcamp?

3. Will anything bad happen to the battery if I plug it in to charge when it's only, say, half-charged? Or is it like my radio where I have to wait until it drains? =\

4. Following up from earlier, is it best to leave the power supply plugged in, and only calibrate it once a month or so? I heard the opposite :confused:

5. Does the battery capacity drain after each charge cycle, or is that just one of those things I've read here? :p

Thanks again.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it shouldn't have any undesirable affect; my screen is facing the windows all the time.
    Not sure about Parallels, but I know VMware Fusion will.

No nothing bad will happen; all these "calibrating" things can't be proven.

Just use you computer like you need to.
    Just one of things you've read here.

---

And your computer won't be affected by your ARS antennae.

I'm curious too, but sounds like the OP is a teacher (since it was asked), so school provided?

9. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Sorry for not replying sooner; I've been really busy. I'm not a teacher, but I have a very good friend who is ;).

I won it in a technology competition sponsored by Apple :).

I think it's arriving today, thanks for your help, everyone. Hopefully it'll be easier than when the same friend I mentioned first used a PC... "How do I turn it on?" "Where's the space bar?" XD

Thanks again :cool:

10. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Hi again,

So far so good, but having trouble moving files. Could someone post more detailed instructions about file sharing over a wireless network? :confused:

thanks.

11. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Check out the help files about networking with Windows. Click on Help in the menu bar and type in "Sharing Windows" and there should be a handful of guides to help you

Just make sure you use SMB which you will understand when you read the guides

And once you're done, just go to Connect To Server (Command+K) and you should be able to see your Windows PC

Mac to Windows is a bit more difficult but can be done

12. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Pyro. I ended up using an external hard drive, but you've helped me discover the "Mac Help" feature :).

About moving emails... I'm trying to move from Outlook to Mail. I understand that I need to use Entourage... I also thought that Macs came with trials of Office for Mac, which I'd need to use.

I can't find the trial anywhere on my Mac. I've tried spotlight, mac help, etc... I tried a few google searches and I can't find anyone else with this problem. Where would the trial be - and if it isn't there, is there a place where I can get it?

Thanks.

13. NikMac thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for double-posting...

A few final questions:

1. Since I own the MacBook, can I still get the July 11th MobileMe discount? Or would I have to buy a new one for that?

2. There are a few scratches/marks on it, particularly where the two things on-top of the casing by iSight 'land' on the palm-rest. Anything that can be done about this?

3. I'm noticing 'ripples' on the screen. I mean on the screen itself; it's not a software issue. Whenever I move I notice an odd little ripple-like pattern in the screen. Is this normal?

4. What are the average temperatures? iStat Pro is telling me that the airport card sometimes gets as high as 71 degrees Celsius, and other components are between 32-51 degrees. :|

5. I just plugged my fifth gen iPod "Classic" (video ipod) into the mac. I thought that windows-formatted iPods weren't supposed to work on Macs and that I'd be prompted to change the format, but so far there hasn't been any problems. Should I restore it to Mac settings?

Thanks.

14. nyzballa12 macrumors member

iChat answers all...;)