Getting a "freebie" MacBook Pro from Apple (advice needed)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parlem, May 17, 2013.

  1. parlem, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

    parlem macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2010
    Hello everyone.

    Apple has offered to send me a free replacement for my 2010 BTO MacBook Pro.

    My machine has undergone multiple repairs in the last three years (under AppleCare). I will spare you the painful details. Suffice it to say that finally Apple has kindly agreed to replace it with a similarly specced computer. This will be a cMBPro with non-glossy display and a few extra trimmings that will roughly match the standard of my machine when it was released back in 2010.

    I don't need to tell you that I am thrilled by Apple's customer service. It more than makes up for the inconveniences caused by this defective unit.

    I have been told that I will be having to return my old laptop by courier next week and the BTO new unit should come a few days later.

    The more perceptive of you will have noticed that delivery of my new computer will be temptingly close to the (hypothetical) release of Haswell MacBook Pros.

    Question: should I keep my freebie in its unopened packaging and exchange it for a Haswell machine? I have a 2007 MBP that might serve me well enough for a few days ...

    What is the maximum length of time Apple will make allowances for? Am I being greedy? I don't know what to do ...

    Best wishes from Barcelona, Catalonia.
  2. adjeff8 macrumors 6502


    Nov 18, 2012
    I'm no expert here, and I don't know what the procedures are internationally, but here in America, if it's being treated like a new purchase, then you would have 14 days to decide if you want to return it. If you can then I would return it for store credit then wait for the Haswell machine which MAY be late June, more likely July. Probably later for Euro consumption.
  3. parlem thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2010

    Thanks very much for your input.

    I guess I could wait for Haswell models for a few days, perhaps a week or two, even. But probably no longer than that.

    If I'm not mistaken, the last couple of updates to the MacBook Pro line had immediate availability of the new models, didn't they?

  4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

    Apr 21, 2009
  5. negativzero macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2011
    Nope, you have to wait 3 weeks if you did not order on day one.

    On a side note you could do what I did instead. Have them value your new replacement and then top up the difference for a retina MBP. In the end all I paid was a few hundred extra for a much better machine than my 2011 MBP.
  6. parlem thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2010
    Mmmm ... don't think I could work with a rMBP

    Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated.

    I didn't realise that it had taken several weeks for new MacBook Pros to be delivered, but I guess it makes sense now that I think about it.

    On a different note, I don't think I'd like to get a Retina machine. I coiuldn't work with that screen (too glossy). It has to be matte for me, so that means I can only work with a cMBP.

    I think I'll just hang on to the "freebie".

    Take care!
  7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Feb 4, 2013
    To put this in another perspective, the performance difference between your 2010 model and a current 15" model is about 175%. The performance difference between the current model and the next gen is estimated at 10-15%.

    I think you will enjoy your new computer. :)

    As an aside- I personally spend half my time on Dell workstations with matte displays and half on my rMBP. I also have refused to replace my 8-year-old Cinema display with a Thunderbolt display until they provide a matte option. At my desk where I use both (with a window right next to me) there is no real difference in usability between the matte Cinema display and the Retina display. The Retina display actually seems to wash out less in direct light. Having sworn in the past I would never buy a glossy screen (particularly after some bad experience with HPs with a noticeable reflective gap between the cover glass and the LCD) the Retina display is actually more than tolerable.
  8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    I think you'll realize how incredible the new machine is even from a 2010 model. I would say that waiting is silly.

    It varies in your country no doubt. Go to Apple's site and review the return policy. Like someone else wrote, it is 14 days here in the U.S. I don't know if you're being greedy, but I think it's silly to wait for something that could take more than a month to come your way. You could ask for store credit. I just would take the new shiny machine and be happy, but I'm weird like that.
  9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

    Feb 10, 2008
    When Apple said replace your MBP, are they replacing with a refurb or brand new model? If its a refurb there is probably no use waiting, but you did mention BTO. Just saying to double check their wording :) .
  10. parlem thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2010
    this and that

    Hello again!

    Thank you all for chipping in. Here are some thoughts addressed to individual posters:

    Asuriyan & Jessica: yes, I appreciate the performance gain will be very significant. My current MBP scores about 6,000 on Geekbench (when it works!) whereas the new machine should score about 12,000 judging by the scores posted by users with the same configuration. I can't complain, really.

    On a side note: I've examined the new rMBP display in the Apple Store a few times and it still seems too reflective for my comfort, although I will admit it's MUCH better than the classic MBP. I find the glossy/matte debate often boils down to personal preference and what you are used to, really ...

    The return policy here in Catalonia is the same as in the US: 14 days, no questions asked. I've checked with my "local" apple store in Barcelona city.

    ColdCase: they're replacing my MBP with a brand new model, not a refurb.
    They actually said it would take a few days because it's not a standard configuration.

    I've now pretty much made up my mind and won't wait for Haswell. Take what's being given to me and enjoy Apple's superb customer care. My dodgy MBP is being picked up by the courier company next Monday, I've just heard.

    Again, thank you all.

Share This Page