Getting a G5 Quad soon. What do I need to know about the LCS?

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
So I'm finally getting a G5 quad, I won an auction on goodwill. It is supposed to be arriving tomorrow. It looked in good shape in the pictures, and I didn't see any obvious signs of leaks in the picture (it was just a close up of the ram slots).
iFixit doesn't have any guides on the late G5 other than the PRAM battery for some reason.
How exactly do I know the system is in good shape, and how do I "service it" anyways? My only experience with liquid cooling is a PC I built with closed circuit corsair H60, which is just a plug and play type of unit.
I remember reading somewhere that the liquid cooled G5 issues were fixed with the release of the quad, but it's still concerning to me.

Edit: I found this, but the guide that OP used is a dead link. It also isn't on the web archive, I checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970mp

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Cameron Kaiser has a maintenance breakdown of the LCS for the Quad. I know I've seen it, but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe I am thinking of something else.

In any case, if it's working and does not seem to be leaking or overheating I wouldn't worry too much. My own Quad had been on 24/7 at full power for the last two years or so. I've had no issues.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Cameron Kaiser has a maintenance breakdown of the LCS for the Quad. I know I've seen it, but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe I am thinking of something else.

In any case, if it's working and does not seem to be leaking or overheating I wouldn't worry too much. My own Quad had been on 24/7 at full power for the last two years or so. I've had no issues.
Well I'll open it and give a thorough look-through, if all looks well I'll make sure it doesn't overheat and with luck I'll be good just like you. I won't have it on 24/7, but it'll see some use every now and then.

Reactions: eyoungren