getting a iphone 3gs...help a girl out!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jessymac, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jessymac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be kind....

I have had an iphone since the day that they came out. LOVE IT! didnt bother upgrading to 3g last year as money was tight.
    Since then Ive got a new job so Im now in the position to upgrade....
    Ive been reading the forums for a while and must admi, ive become a bit of a fangirl!!! woohooo!

so...my question is Ive come to the end of my 02 contract. Paying 34pounds a month, now i dont really want to get an 18month contract or 24 because im scared of the rumors of a new phone this time next year!!

so what can I do? Im not 3g (only have the old 2g sim card) so cant buy a pay as you go and just swap them over! could i get a 3g sim card only rather than pay for a 3g phone and then get the phone on pay as you go....

hmmm, i want the phone but im scared i'll cry next year if a brand spanking new phone comes out! help me out guys!!!

thank u xxxx

2. danb77 macrumors 6502

Hi Jessie,

You have two choices to get the new iphone.

1) You either a contract (which you don't seem keen on!) and get the phone at a reduced rate (from free to 275 depending on the phone and tariff).

2) You buy the phone pay-as-you-go. This will cost you

iPhone 3G S 16GB - £440.40
    iPhone 3G S 32GB - £538.30

So, you see the contract iphone is subsidised.

I think there are also a few disadvantages of PAYG - no visual voicemail and slower internet - can anyone confirm that?

There is more info on the options on the O2 site:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/newiphone.html

Hope that helps!

Dan

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Read in another thread today that if you call O2 and tell them you now need a 3G sim card they'll send you one for free.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

There will be a new phone next June. There's no question about that.

The question that stands is "do you want to deal with another year of the painfully slow EDGE network?".

5. outphase macrumors 65816

Don't buy any modern electronics if you don't want the new version to come out every year. Every major phone manufacturer comes out with one every year. Apple is no exception.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

never know

if you are happy with your phone and it does what you want wait a year see what apple brings or doesn't bring. bottom line nobody knows or those that do aren't talking. (very angry lawyers) so happy wait! not happy take a gamble! sell your old unit and unlock it you will get more dollars if you decide to get one this year. Just remember there will always be something new some where around the corner either apple or somebody else we just have to deal once we decide.

7. glennsan macrumors regular

New 3G iPhone or not?

Jessymac,

Welcome to Macrumors! I have found most people to be very patient and understanding of new users so I hope that is true for you as well.

As far as your question of getting a new iPhone or not Apple just announced a newer faster model with major upgraded capabilities that would make your current phone look outdated. That will be the case almost every year so you need to determine if getting the new phone and waiting for 2 years to upgrade is worth it. Only you know how much seeing a new phone and not being able to upgrade without paying a fee will bother you.

From what I have heard the new 3GS model is almost enough to get me to buy my first one as my birthday is coming up and while I do not need one I think it would be very nice. I am going to wait to see what people say about it when it is released this month.

Have fun with your decision.

Glennsan

8. jessymac thread starter macrumors newbie

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, no more edge!!!!

as for the getting a 3g sim for free.....would i still have the same number and all that? and be able to use all the features on the phone??

outphase, lostprophet894, instaxgirl and danb77 big MWAH!! to you all :p:D

thank you Glen.... sound advice! and thanks for the welcome! xxx

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I read it on another thread on here. Call O2 up and ask them :) They'll be able to tell you better than me

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As long as you're not moving to another carrier (I guess even if you are) you'll be able to retain your number. And as long as you have data, you'll be able to use all of the features.

11. Randykn. macrumors member

since i'm not sure of the pricing in ur place,
    i can only add that its a worthy upgrade for us 1st gens, to get IPhone 3gS.

there will definitely be a new one next year too,
    but if u consider that as a reason to not get IPhone 3gS
    then i'm pretty sure u can never get a new 1 as there will always be a new
    one every year.
    so just try not get manipulated by that :D

all depends on urself
    hope that helps :)

time for u to make a decision

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

When I upgraded from the 2g to the 3g I didn't change my sim card: I was told to just take it out of the 2g and pop it into the 3g. Everything just worked fine. This was on O2

13. jessymac thread starter macrumors newbie

soooo hows this for a plan.....im going to go to the o2 store next friday reeeealy early, buy the iphone on pay as you go, put my 2g sim card in it, keep my current contract until next june where if a new phone comes out upgrade then.... what u think??

two questions for you lovely guys and gals

1. If I'm buying pay as you go, are they still released the same time i.e. next Friday 9.00am? will there be both pay as you go and contract phones for sale? as i understand it its the same thing in each box, ust depends on the sim card your getting....yes/no?

AND

2. Do you think its worth me rining o2 tomorrow and ordering a 3g sim card....at least i will have it by the time next friday comes?

thank u xxx

14. ryvetted macrumors member

Is O2 just for the UK?

15. tyranical macrumors regular

Hi jessy, there is another option for you which is the one i am doing.

Pay & Go Iphone 3GS 16gb = £440.40
    Simplicity simcard @ £19.58 per month on the 12 month contract gives you 800 minutes + 1600 txts if ordered online. You also get a free bolt on with the simcard, choose Unlimited web bolt on which DOES cover 3G internet despite what some people on here have been saying.

Over 12 months this would amount to:

19.58 x 12 + £440.40 = £675.36

Advantages:

- On this tariff your getting, unlimited internet access, 800 minutes/1600 txts per month.
    - You miss out on wifi, however a Pay & Go Iphone comes with 12 months free wifi access. Even with the Simplicity sim in, when you try to connect to a wifi hotspot etc it asks for your mobile number, put in the number of the PAYG sim (even though its not in the phone) and it works, you get free wifi too!
    - Works out cheaper overall.
    - Your not tied into an 18 month contract, meaning that in 12 months time if Apple release another new iphone, you can get it immediately.
    - You could sell the iphone when the new one comes out for what, £200-300? So it could work out effectively costing you about £300 for a years use of an iphone.

Disadvantages:

-Is a bit more hassle.
    - You don't get visual voicemail or internet tethering.

16. ryvetted macrumors member

I have a 2g sim card. Will I have to buy a 3g sim card with my new 3Gs? It won't come with one?

17. jessymac thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers tyranical, sounds like a good plan, the only difference with me is that im already in a contract with 02 until september, so until then id be paying the 35 im already paying and then the 19.58 ontop until then, so what do you think? am i better staying with my old contract?? cheers in advance xxx

18. tyranical macrumors regular

If i were you, i'd ride out the remainder of your contract then do what i'm doing, you'll then be free to upgrade in June next year if they release a new one.

19. jessymac thread starter macrumors newbie

done!! we make quite the team :p

should i order a 3g sim before friday? and do you think 02 will have plenty of pay as you go phones in stock? or only concentrate on new contracts?? its question time for u tonight!!!!

20. tyranical macrumors regular

I'm not the one to ask about the 3g sim business or stock levels, i'm an iphone newbie like you but i've been researching all this for months in anticipation of the new phone :p.

Sorry!

21. jessymac thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha no problem. youve helped me more than most x

22. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I'm thinking of going the PAYG route. Like most on here, my 3G contract runs out in Jan and I'd decided I'm not that bothered about 3GS. But if I offload my 2G and 3G iPhones then I've got a fair part of the cost covered and it's looking tempting. But, assuming I pop my current 3G sim into the new phone, I can just let the PAYG sim live in its little envelope for ever more, can't I? I've never had a PAYG phone before so don't know if you're required to top it up with a certain amount etc.

Sorry for thread hijack but it's sort of related :D

23. jessymac thread starter macrumors newbie

yes theres no terms and conditions for pay as you go sims, my boyf has loads of them lying around....are u uk or usa april? x

p.s. dont worry about hijack! the more the merrier!

24. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Thanks Jessy. Forgot to say Welcome! It's nice to see another girl round here ;)

Am in the UK btw...

25. ryvetted macrumors member