General Getting a jailbroken iPad warrenty repaired

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by diddl14, Nov 28, 2013.

1. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

I have a jailbroken iPad 3 with what appears to be a defect speaker.

The iPad is used by my mother for FT and it's only jailbroken so it can be remotely operated via Veency (she's 83 and loves it but every now and than gets lost on the thing)

Now I guess that before I sent it in for repair I better remove the jailbreak...

This brings up a few issues/questions:
    - how to remove a jailbreak without upgrade to anything higher than 6.1.2?
    - even if this is possible, how likely is it that the repair center won't upgrade?
    - taking that the device is currently on 6.1, is there a way to save the current installation and restore/activate it later?

Highly appreciate any ideas/suggestion how to best handle this...

I would really hate to loose the remote access. I'm even more skeptical of upgrading her to iOS 7 as it seems that learning new stuff is not the most easy thing once your pass a certain age.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The only thing you can do is run iLEX RAT and then hide cydia in a folder on page 2.

All other options wil make you loose the JB

Restoring to latest firmware is not normally doing on a repair, you could ask not to updat because you have older apps that don't work on ios 7 you need to keep.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are they actually going to repair your iPad? Seems like they usually send back a different service replacement device vs. fixing yours and sending the same unit back.

I send an iPad 3 with iOS 7 in for a warranty repair a few weeks ago. They sent back a service replacement device that has iOS 6 on it.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Another way is to have SBSettings and hide Cydia there.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Yes but that needs activator which shows up in settings.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yup this is the best solution if you want to keep the jailbreak. Run ILEX to remove everything but the jailbreak, then bury cydia in a folder on one of your pages.

8. diddl14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Thx for all the replies. I didn't know about iLEX RAT and it indeed sounds like a the best solution.

That is of course if the device is not just replaced.. In that case I can only hope that the replacement doesn't come with iOS 6.1.3 or higher (thx aristocrat for pointing that out).

9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I hear you but in my opinion it's better to having a working device stock on iOS 7.x for a few months before the next jailbreak comes out than have a faulty device and have iOS 6 jailbroken for the next few months until iOS 7 gets its JB.

iOS 7 is the best iOS yet. Is it better than a jailbreak? Of course not, but being stuck on a stock device with iOS 7 isn't as bad as it used to be when stuck stock on any of the previous iOS releases.

Hope this helps quell any anxiety. :)

10. diddl14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

diddl14

You were right. They replaced it with new unit with iOS 6.