Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
I have a MBP that I'm having some trouble with. I'm getting a lot of delays (usually with an accompanying spinning beach ball) when typing or navigating something. It seems to happen mostly when I'm on the internet but maybe sometimes when performing other tasks on my computer too. What things could be causing this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well my first thought would be a failing hard drive. Please provide some more specifics about your MBP, such as the model which can be found under System Profiler. How old it is and any more detail about the problem, etc...

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Macbook Pro, about 3 years old, running on an Intel core 2 duo processor, 3MB L2 cache, 2GB memory, 13GB out of 185GB are available on the HD....

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
First red flag I'm seeing is that you have less than 10% hard drive space free. Mac OS X and Windows need a certain amount of disk drive space free to allow for caching, and for operations like copying files to removable drives, burning files to DVD, etc. The beachball during internet use could be due to Flash content. 2GB RAM is decent, depending on what it is you're doing on the computer. If you still have issues after freeing up some additional hard drive space, you can try safe booting your computer, or running Activity Monitor to see what tasks your computer is still running that are occupying the processor cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.