Getting a Mac for under 500 bucks.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Flyers1718, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

I want to get a mac because ive been wanting one for a while and have saved up 500 bucks I need everything kb,mouse,monitor. Any ideas?

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Buy a refurbed Mini for ~$480... steal the rest!

Just kidding, I dont condone stealing... I DO condone permanently borrowing from friends... after all, whats theirs is yours! (IF they are a true friend!) ;)

3. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

I dont think the apple store has any more 480 refurbs:mad: Can you get them anywhere else?

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I can't recommend that you buy a PC. But that's seriously about all you're going to get with $500.

If you need a monitor, kb, and mouse in addition to the Mac, you're going to be looking at spending closer to 750-1000 depending on the monitor you choose, in which case you're better off just getting a used or refurb iMac...

5. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Just keep a look out. I looked every day for about 3 weeks before I picked mine up... should be here tomorrow! Its a great little machine for the price... and its Intel dual core... so you will be able to run Leopard if/when you want to upgrade it. Doesnt come with a display... but for another $100... I would check newegg.com... 17"s have dropped to a very reasonable price range. After that, download some free, great programs... and enjoy!

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Look on eBay for a iBook in good shape that the person has taken care of.

Or you might luck out and get a base 17" intel iMac...

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Not the best option probably, but you can get ole eMacs with 1ghz G4 chips that are suppose to run leopard, for around $250 on ebay. They are going to be a lot slower than a mini, but a lot cheaper too.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I see Minis all the time on Craigslist for 350 or less. Add 50 for keyboard and mouse and that still leaves you 100 for an LCD.

Or, go with an intel mini for 450-ish, then a mouse and kb for 50 and get an old CRT for free on craigslist.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Powermax.com

wegenermedia.com (if you can trust them)

smalldogelectronics.com

Craigslist.com (click on your area or close by)

Those are the few places I know that will sell you used stuff in good condition. Craigslist isn't a store, it's more of a classifieds place but you can search in the computers section for stuff for sale, and even post that you are looking for a Mac and periphs for $500.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There is a recent thread about that site, it's a scam.

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Thanks for the heads up.... I won't recommend them anymore.

13. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess im gonna try and save up a little more.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

An excellent decision. You should probably have about 10% more saved up than you need, just to be safe. IE, if the computer you want costs $600, then you should have at least $660 in savings (and if you have to worry about sales tax, add that rate on top of that).

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Keyboard and mouse are cheap enough to be of no concern (unless you want the Apple Keyboard and a fancy mouse) — a good monitor might cost half as much as the computer again (though also depending on what you want). However, a mini would be a much better option than one of those $500 cheapo PC bundles if you ask me. :)

16. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You can probably get an imac G4 in the $550-650 range on Craigslist or ebay. Otherwise, if you just want to try out Mac/OSX, you can get a G3 imac for $50-150 on either site. Play with OSX, just realize that on any other modern Mac, it will run much, much faster. ;)

I'd consider a G4 tower, though. You can probably find a low end one in your price range right now that will come with a keyboard and mouse (again, Craigslist and ebay). And check your local Craigslist for monitiors; CRTs are being given away and left on roadsides in Portland, my company got 5 free from a company downtown that was upgrading to LCD, all 5 were 17 inch flat screen projection monitors, and 3 of them were pristeen (2 had some burned images into the tubes, but nothing we couldn't use). I'd say that, for maybe $50 more than what you've got, you can be up and running, and the G4 is heavily upgradeable, so you can keep improving it as you can afford it, or save up for an intel mac later.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That's the best choice. Electronics are a funny thing and going into the game with a brand new machine is a lot better than buying one used. I always say that the base price is $1000 or more for a good machine.

18. Flyers1718 thread starter macrumors member

Flyers1718

Yeah i would rather get something nicer than I have and make it worth it. Thanks again everyone.

19. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

Sometimes businesses or schools will have tons of old mice, keyboards, and CRT monitors lying around. As long as you don't mind the weight or the age, you can usually pick them up for free. You might have to buy a PS/2 to USB adapter for the mouse and/or keyboard, but it's about 10 dollars.

Just a thought, but that way you could start using your new mini now while you save up for a nicer monitor, etc.

20. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I have one of those big red plastic iMacs that I've had for about 5 years? and right now it's seriously just sitting on top of my dresser looking pretty (I keep it around because it was my first computer that was all MINE) :)

if you want it I'd be happy to give it to you.

It's running Panther and it's in good condition.

I don't know what the specs on it are though.

21. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'd sell you this G4 for $300, but I'm using it until the new MacPro comes out.

22. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

just got a 1.42GHz iBook G4, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD off my uncle for exactly $500

it came with "incentives" too
    ms office, toast 8, quicken... the list goes on and on.

EDIT:

the first computer in my sig was FREE and works wonderfully.

granted it's close to 13 years old (i believe) it's still amazing.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I just recently watched some auctions on eBay to check out their final prices, to suggest prices for my sister. Anyways based on the auctions I had watched.

A 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo Mini
    -1-2GB RAM*
    -60-80 GB HD*
    -Combo Drive
    -Airport
    Goes for just over $500 including shipping
    (* Combinations of 1GB RAM 80GB HD or 2GB RAM 60GB HD)

A 1.42GHz G4 Mini
    -1GB RAM
    -80GB HD
    -Combo Drive
    -Airport
    Goes for about $350 including shipping, $385 with superdrive

You could pickup a G4 Mini off eBay then get a new 17" Widescreen LCD and a new keyboard and mouse off Newegg all for about $550. Or Craigslist for a used 17" LCD, keyboard, mouse and G4 Mac Mini for $500.

24. samuraikiss macrumors regular

I'd just keep watching Craigslist. That being said, it can completely and utterly break your heart. For example, last night for the half hour I wasn't online, someone posted a mint 1.5ghz iBook G4 with Applecare for $350! Of course, by the time I e-mailed, it was sold. But Craigslist is really the best way to get a cheap, used Apple as long as you're cautious.