Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Is the Magic Mouse worth it? I totally hated the Mighty mouse, I use a MX Revolution Mouse and I like it, is it worth it to get thr Magic Mouse instead? Can I return it if I don't like it?

i use a microsoft mouse with my mini. the apple mice suck. can't live without right click

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
then i never figured out how to use it on 10.4. at least not to force firefox to open links in a new tab

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
then i never figured out how to use it on 10.4. at least not to force firefox to open links in a new tab

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/
The gesture for right click is the same for Magic and Mighty Mouse. Enable right click in system preferences and then simply click with one finger on the right side of the mouse, ensuring your fingers on the left are not touching the surface. Voila.

On the laptops, simply tap with two fingers rather than one.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
the new magic mouse is just awesome. The top of the mouse has functionality for gestures almost exactly the same as a trackpad on the MB/P line. i.e up/down swwop gestures, 3 finger swoops. Its awesome!! :D

PTP

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Sounds nice however i doubt It's as comfortable as the MX Revolution
logitech-mx-revolution1.jpg

Still, the Magic mouse looks like a spaceship!
apple-magic-mouse.jpg

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I used to own an MX Revolution, and I'm actually quite happy with the Magic Mouse - it takes up way less desk space, and the low profile is comfortable for my hands.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I used to own an MX Revolution, and I'm actually quite happy with the Magic Mouse - it takes up way less desk space, and the low profile is comfortable for my hands.

And the biggest advantage is that it won't use a usb slot, which gets handy with these computers

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I Don't want to contradict Raima without proof, but i just checked out Geekbench and the 2.53GHz Mini gets 3879 points and the 2.26GHz MBP gets 3264 Points
something more interesting is that the 2.53GHz gets a better benchmark than the 2.53GHz MBP which only gets 3484 vs. the Mini's 3879
However the 2.26GHz MBP is a few points faster than the 2.26GHz Mini
Proof
Mac Mini 2.26GHz - 3256 Points
MBP 2.26GHz - 3264 Points
Mac Mini 2.53GHz - 3879 Points
MBP 2.53GHz - 3484 Points

You probably have a reason to say that, but at least on paper the Mini looks faster

It is because the Mac Mini stock only ships with 1 gig of ram?

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
It is because the Mac Mini stock only ships with 1 gig of ram?
All current Macs come with at least 2GB of RAM, not sure why, but it can be random luck, they're a few points which make a very small percentage of a 1% of the total score

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
All current Macs come with at least 2GB of RAM, not sure why, but it can be random luck, they're a few points which make a very small percentage of a 1% of the total score

They could have different hard drives which could affect the score.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I was about to ask if the 0.27 GHz Worth it between the 2.26 GHz and 2.53 GHz and they are since if you turne up the 2.26 GHz one with 4GB of ram and a 320GB Hard Drive you go to 799$ the exact price of the 2.53 GHz model with all those specs :cool:

I'm wondering this too for me, if it's worth it to pay the extra for the 2.53ghz over the 2.2ghz. 1) I don't care about the hard drive size (this is a secondary home computer to my primary MacBook Pro and my wife's macbook air). Won't really have much on here. Thinking of going to an SSD if it will make everything snappier.

2) I'm thinking about upgrading the RAM on my own. That's what I've done w/ my usual macs. But I think I've read that the RAM upgrade is around $100 and going to the max 8gb would be like $500? Maybe I should live w/ 2gb for some time and then upgrade one day to 8gb when it's cheaper?

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK

Don't let such test results affect you buying decision!
Like all synthetic benchmarks, GeekBench results are not stable on the same machine.

Run the test once and you get 3200 point, run it again and you get 3100, run it again and you get 3300......

You see where this is going.
The margin really is that large! 100 points, or even more difference it absolutely normal between tests.
Just look at the GeekBench results page. Results for the exact same machines are hundreds, in case of the high performance machines, thousands apart.
It is all a matter of what how the bench is done, meaning which OS the machine is running, how many background processes etc.

With regard to Mac Mini vs MBP. Saying that a MBP with the exact same hardware is faster than the Mini is frankly said nonsense.
The only reason a MBP feels snappier is the fact that they generally have a discrete graphics card and since OS X is really dependent on a fast graphics card, that's definitely a plus for the MBP.
All other components, like chipset, RAM, CPU are absolutely identical and there is no other magical part what could speed up a machine. It's as simple as that.

The reason why a MBP with a standard magnetic hard drive boots up considerably faster than a Mini with SSD, definitely is not normal and shouldn't be taken for reference. God knows what the person who tested this did wrong.
I can speak for myself, as I've got all the mentioned devices, equipped with SSDs.
My Mini is a 2.26GHz with Intel X25-V, so a very low end SSD and that thing boots up in a snap, absolutely equal to the booting speed of my 2.26GHz MBP with a OCZ Vertex SSD. There are really only seconds between them, although the Vertex is definitely faster in daily use. Applications load faster and the system feels a little more snappy. But again, that has nothing to do with the system itself, since the hardware, except for the hard drive, is absolutely identical.
You guys really shouldn't bother about boot times. I mean, how often do you restart your systems? Two, maybe three times a month? Who cares about 5 seconds while booting?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
My Mini is a 2.26GHz with Intel X25-V, so a very low end SSD and that thing boots up in a snap, absolutely equal to the booting speed of my 2.26GHz MBP with a OCZ Vertex SSD. There are really only seconds between them, although the Vertex is definitely faster in daily use. Applications load faster and the system feels a little more snappy.....
How do you feel about your 2.26Ghz Mac Mini? In the post above yours I was trying to get some comments on going between the 2.26ghz & the 2.53ghz. There finally osme Mac Minis in the refurbished section, its $499 vs $679

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Processor Speed

Speed isn't everything, money matters. Buy the cheapest one you can you will never notice the speed difference of something you don't have. In 6 months speeds will be faster and 6 months after that even faster, so how much money do you have to waste on a minimal speed difference, I keep my macs a minimum of 3 years and always buy the low end and I am never disappointed.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
How do you feel about your 2.26Ghz Mac Mini? In the post above yours I was trying to get some comments on going between the 2.26ghz & the 2.53ghz. There finally osme Mac Minis in the refurbished section, its $499 vs $679

Well I have the 2GHz early 2009 model and I can say it is more than enough for what I do. I browse the web, do homework (pages, keynote), itunes, doubletwist (app for my Droid Eris), and convert music. 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive was actually fine with me, but I upgraded later on.

Kalison

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
With regard to Mac Mini vs MBP. Saying that a MBP with the exact same hardware is faster than the Mini is frankly said nonsense.
The only reason a MBP feels snappier is the fact that they generally have a discrete graphics card and since OS X is really dependent on a fast graphics card, that's definitely a plus for the MBP.
All other components, like chipset, RAM, CPU are absolutely identical and there is no other magical part what could speed up a machine. It's as simple as that.

This is true, however the 15" 1699 MBP will have the same exact video as the 13" MBP and the Mini. Only when you step up and drop 1999 will you get a true discrete graphics on the MBP line.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Well I have the 2GHz early 2009 model and I can say it is more than enough for what I do. I browse the web, do homework (pages, keynote), itunes, doubletwist (app for my Droid Eris), and convert music. 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive was actually fine with me, but I upgraded later on.

Thanks, ended up going w/ the 2.53ghz Mac Mini

Speed isn't everything, money matters. Buy the cheapest one you can you will never notice the speed difference of something you don't have. In 6 months speeds will be faster and 6 months after that even faster, so how much money do you have to waste on a minimal speed difference, I keep my macs a minimum of 3 years and always buy the low end and I am never disappointed.

yeah, that's usually the route I go but in this situation it was a little different because of the cost of the RAM upgrade. I knew I was going to be taking it from 2gb to 4gb and from a post I read, the cost was $100 anyways to do that. So at that point, it was $79 more for the faster processor and bigger HD too and that sort of seemed worth it. If the price difference was even a little larger I would have just cheaped out and updated the RAM on my own.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK

I really can't tell you anything about the speed because I don't use these machines for serious work.
My Mini is solely used for running Plex on a TV and the MBP is only used for browsing the web or making presentations. Nothing that would really demand something from the machine, which is why I went for the smallest machines available.

For working machines, however, I generally choose faster machines since I can't afford to waste time waiting for the computer to do his job.
In your case I'd definitely go for the 2.53 with 4GB and a fast hard drive. Or better, invest $200 more an get an low end iMac. More bang for the buck!

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
^ Thanks for the comments. Regarding the iMac, I want the nice big screen so that means I would have be looking at the 27" iMac which gets a bit hefty in price compared to the mini. In the post above yours I mentioned I went w/ the faster 2.53ghz w/ 4gb RAM and the bigger 320gb HD.

A little O/T but could you tell me a little more about plex? Maybe I should be doing some TV stuff w/ my Mac Mini

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
A little O/T but could you tell me a little more about plex? Maybe I should be doing some TV stuff w/ my Mac Mini

Plex is a HTPC software for managing your media, such like XBMX, Boxee or even FrontRow.

It's like FrontRow on steroids. Much more features and an interface that you can't even compare with FrontRow. The alternatives like Boxee aren't that good either, in my opinion. Boxee has a horrible user interface that is really hard to handle.

Just read a little in the Apple TV and home theater forums around here and visit the Plex website. You'll find more information than you need. :)

iRez

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
maybe it's my pessimistic behavior but i smell fud.

i don't know how a dual mini with an ssd could boot slower than a mbp when my dell mini 9 (1.6 single atom, 2gb ram, 32gb ssd, mac os x installed) boots faster than my mbp (2.4 dual, 4gb, 200gb hd).

btw, just purchased a $499 mini from the refurb store and it's just as fast on day to day task as my mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.