Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
UPS as in uninterruptible power supply, not the delivery company. I have a 600W UPS that I plugged my Mac Pro into, knowing it was probably a little undersized. I have the 16-core version. When running benchmark tests that pegged the CPU's, the UPS alarms went off showing an overload on the power draw. Checking Apple's site, they don't list all processors, but they do list the entry and high end:

A large 1000W or greater UPS isn't cheap, although prices can range a good bit. I got a 1500W one for the Mac Pro and I'll use the 600W for the ProDisplay and peripherals. I have flaky power at my office; it often will sag and/or flicker on or off. Rather than risk any damage to a pretty pricey computer, a good UPS is a minor investment.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hmmmmmmm, I have a APC Pro 900, which only has 540Watt / 900VA. I also got the 16 core.
I actually also have had my UPS snap on on several occasions in the past, if only for a few seconds, lights were flickering and it made a beep sound. Whenever I checked, it was over already again.

The main reason why I have it is because of two Promise Pegasus Raids that are attached to it...

now you got me a bit worried. I also have an XDR display on order. I can't physically cram two UPSs in my space. Do i HAVE to get a bigger one?

I was checking, during a regular h264 render from Premiere, the UPS shows a draw of up to 660 Watt. No alarm or anything though.
What happens if there's a power interruption in such a situation? Slightly above its capacity?
I'm not great with electrics and physics...

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Hmmmmmmm, I have a APC Pro 900, which only has 540Watt / 900VA. I also got the 16 core.
I actually also have had my UPS snap on on several occasions in the past, if only for a few seconds, lights were flickering and it made a beep sound. Whenever I checked, it was over already again.

The main reason why I have it is because of two Promise Pegasus Raids that are attached to it...

now you got me a bit worried. I also have an XDR display on order. I can't physically cram two UPSs in my space. Do i HAVE to get a bigger one?

I was checking, during a regular h264 render from Premiere, the UPS shows a draw of up to 660 Watt. No alarm or anything though.
What happens if there's a power interruption in such a situation? Slightly above its capacity?
I'm not great with electrics and physics...

There's a big range of UPS models and types. I prefer to get one that has full buck-boost sine wave output--in other words, it takes the power in from the provider, converts it to DC and runs it through the battery, and then outputs it as very clean, regulated AC. Even on a UPS like that, there can be outlets that only provide surge protection. For example, on my UPS if I plug the Mac Pro into the surge-only outlets, then it doesn't overdraw the power, no beeping--but then the power also isn't conditioned and a sag or brief outage can cause a problem.

A UPS shouldn't take up too much space...you can get one that's not a lot bigger than the Promise array. I personally never risk my expensive electronics with straight up utility electric, but then again we also get lots of thunderstorms here so lightning strikes, power outages, etc.

Reactions: chfilm

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
There's a big range of UPS models and types. I prefer to get one that has full buck-boost sine wave output--in other words, it takes the power in from the provider, converts it to DC and runs it through the battery, and then outputs it as very clean, regulated AC. Even on a UPS like that, there can be outlets that only provide surge protection. For example, on my UPS if I plug the Mac Pro into the surge-only outlets, then it doesn't overdraw the power, no beeping--but then the power also isn't conditioned and a sag or brief outage can cause a problem.

A UPS shouldn't take up too much space...you can get one that's not a lot bigger than the Promise array. I personally never risk my expensive electronics with straight up utility electric, but then again we also get lots of thunderstorms here so lightning strikes, power outages, etc.
Well yea, I saw that there's a new model that has the same size as my old one and provides up to 780 W and costs 500 bucks. Just not sure if I really need it.. I'm wondering how the UPS will prioritize it's output in case of an outage..

Reactions: OkiRun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.