Getting a mac pro and got some Qs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darvil, Mar 27, 2011.

1. darvil macrumors newbie

I finally joined ADC and am working on getting myself verified as a student so I can get the nice discount. Thinking of getting the 2.2 15" mac pro.

I have a question that I'm not 100 percent sure on. I will be mainly using the laptop in bangkok. Is there any issues with returning the product to fix if there is an issue? I know there is suppose to be global support so I'm thinking it'll be fine but I just want to make sure. I did read some posts on here where the local apple store won't accept defective issues on it and they have to return it thru mail. This kinda thing is a bit confusing for me.

Since I'm getting the laptop thru ADC are there any gotchas that I should be aware of?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Pretty sure the student discount went bye bye...

3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha darvil,

It depends on your school. I'm currently in grad school at Hawaii Pacific University, and the attached is from my search on Mac Pros in the Education Store (go to http://store.apple.com and look on the left-hand side - you'll see a link for the Education Store). They're between $200 and $350 off the normal retail price. Of course, you'll still have to prove your student status.

Attached Files:

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The OP is talking about the Apple Developer Program for students, not the education discount.

5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but I thought the ADC went away in lieu of the new Mac OS Developer program, so I used the educational discount he may get from his school instead.

EDIT: I also posted a screenshot of the Mac Pro listings, as that was what he had in his thread title. The MacBook Pro student discounts are all between $100 and $200, depending on model.

6. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Didn't apple do away with student ADC discounts? I think you have to buy the $499.00 ADC to get the discount now.

7. darvil thread starter macrumors newbie

8. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Actually... they often wont check, atleast in most countries. And some schools get more discount than others ;)

9. darvil thread starter macrumors newbie

10. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha again darvil,

What I read indicated that current ADC members can continue to exercise their current memberships, but will be required to move to the new Mac OS Developer Program when said current ADC membership agreement runs out. Apple has made the Mac OS Developer Program fee the same as that of the iOS Developer Program (of which I am a member) at $99 US (if you're in the US) - I'm not sure how much it is in other countries.

Apple spells it out here.

11. darvil thread starter macrumors newbie

HawaiiMacAddict,

Thank you.

I've just recently joined the ios development program (like 2 days ago still pending). Before that I did have a free account but I never joined the program until now.

Does the one time ADC deal exists for development under that new account? The one time purchase deal that is. It looks like they still have it from looking at the link you just gave me under the ADC benefits.

12. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Try calling the ADC store, they have there own CS people from what I remember. When I was in College I remember calling them to verify my student status before taking advantage of the discount program. I also remember them wanting my current class schedule and my school Id which I submitted via email. After that I was clear to get the discounted Mac.

13. darvil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will give them a call soon.

BTW nobody has any idea on the global support? I will be in bangkok for most of the year.

14. darvil, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

darvil thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone in the same boat as me, I just called the apple support.

I was told the program is over. There is no more student discount or a hardware discount according to him. Since the previous program has been cancelled over a year ago already there are no more people who are still in the old program.

This is very confusing to me because they still have links to the discounts over the web (IE the student discount).

Why keep all that up when its all discontinued.

It also sucks for those of use who are trying to make a switch and have no deals to attach on :(

edit: it looks like they still have the 200 dollars educational pricing. I don't know why that other guy told me no more eduational discounts. Must be misunderstanding me.