Getting a Macbook - Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slayr-cxf50, Jun 13, 2007.

1. slayr-cxf50 macrumors member

Hi all.
    So. I'm getting a MacBook. :D Yep, I finally saved up enough.
    One of the two lower-end white models. Not sure which one though. I am so glad they just upgraded them all to 1GB of memory. It was shocking that they could get away with selling 512MB at that price.
    Now, I have a few questions...

1. So I'm looking at the two lower-end models. I see the difference is quite large for $300. One thing that strikes me is a 160MHz speed difference. Does anyone notice any difference between the two speeds?

2. How does the MacBook perform on 3D-demanding applications? Games especially. Not modern 3D shooters, but things like World of Warcraft. I've heard some rumours that its absolutely appalling.

3. I'll probably need to get a USB modem. What are your experiences with these?

4. How useful is the AppleCare Protection Plan? I'm in Australia, and $419 for the thing seems a little too much for extra two years.

Thanks for your replies.

2. msharpmu macrumors regular

I am pretty new at this and the only quasi advice I have for you is to hold off on Applecare and get it towards the end of your one year warranty. Most computer issues occur in the first couple months of after a couple years and you can get Applecare anytime you want.

3. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

:)

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I always get Applecare and would doubly recommend it on a portable.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Yup, what they said

It’s cheap and easy installing hard drives yourself, personally it wouldn’t be much of an issue for me. The DVD situation is more so – depends how happy you are not burning them or relying on an external drive to so.

If there’re any other games you’re interested on, worth doing a search – I’m sure it’s been discussed as you’re not alone!

Listen to Dynamyk about Applecare!!!!

6. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

WoW runs decently in Windows, but I wouldn't play it in OS X on a Macbook.

160MHz won't be noticeable, but DVD burning is nice.

7. wgkealey macrumors member

My advice for applecare is to not buy it right away. You can get applecare packets cheaper on eBay. Also, may credit cards will double a manufactors warrenty up to a year. I just called my Mastercard Platinum plus last week and they confirmed this.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you don't use a credit card, make sure you have apple care and you might want to check your credit card, im not sure how Australlian credit cards work. I purchased a 3rd party warranty and hate it, Apple Care is a near must have.

9. RTCaldwell macrumors newbie

My wife and i just purchased a new macbook & I think it would be worth the extra $200 for the extra 1.6 the 40 gig and the DVD burner.

typically the middle of the row offering from apple is the best priced. the lowest white macbook and the black macbook are overpriced for what you get. the middle macbook is the best bang for the buck. good luck in your purchase

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Shurely shome mistake - it's 0.16GHz extra.

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

Shurely shome mistake - it's 0.16GHz extra.

As for your comments about the pricing of the other machines...

Before this latest revison, I would have agreed with you, but with the doubling of the entry-level machine's cache, I think it's generally seen as excellent value for money.

Because it would be useful for me generally and because of family illness requiring me to travel a lot more in the upcoming months, I need a portable laptop to complement my desktop work station. As well as general use (email, surfing), I need it for using word processing and (very) occasional video editing. Now I could got for the mid-range MB for an extra £130 ($260), but this would give me a DVD burner I don't need and a 0.16GHz processor increase that I won't notice. True, there's a bigger HD but I could buy a 120GB drive and install it myself for around £45. For my needs, the 2.0GHz model is better value for money.

As for the black model, in terms of specs, yes you get less bang for your buck, but you are paying extra for the exclusivity of the black case.

12. slayr-cxf50 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies everyone. :)
    DVD burning is a nice extra for me, something that I could really use. So I think I'll go with the middle range model.
    excellent :D
    That I will do. Hmm, interesting tactic. That way you get 4 years. Nice.

Thanks again.
    Nobody ever used the USB modem?

13. deanops macrumors regular

1. It is definatey worth the money, for the burner and the hd space, but not entirely sure about processor... had the exact same dilemma

4. Buy your macbook at myer and get the extended myer warrantee... essentially the same as apple care, inus the phone support (thats what macrumors is for :rolleyes: ) and only for $230 dollars... thats what i did last week...
    also...
    Do you have someone you know that works at myer? if you do, you'll get 10% discount from them.... for the mac as well... essentially the cheapet mac in Australia, even beating the edu discount... thats what i did...

also, you won't regret it ... good luck