Getting a Macbook, need a bit of advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Natsu, Jul 29, 2008.

  1. Natsu macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2008
    #1
    I'm getting a macbook this weekend (before school starts) 'n im really excited cuz its my first laptop. I've heard that the montevina macbook will be release at the end of september and i dont want to wait that long so i was just wondering will the update be worth waiting? i mean a .2 ghz speed bump, maybe aluminum casing and some other not-sure updates are worth waiting?
     
  2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    The biggest update is the new design, it depends if you want that new design.
     
  3. Natsu thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2008
    #3
    hmm... i dont really care about the new design... unless if its like a major major design change. thanks for posting anyways :)
     
  4. kage207 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #4
    The wait wasn't for me and I got the White 13" 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM. The difference between the two white MacBooks are

    White 13"
    2.1GHz
    1GB of RAM
    120GB HD

    Next one is
    White 13"
    2.4GHz
    2GB of RAM
    160GB HD

    They also have different disc drives which might affect what you are doing. The first one only has DVD-ROM and the next upgrade up gives you the ability to write DVDs which is the big difference in disc drives.

    So you are paying an extra $300 ($999 for low and $1,200 for the upgrade) for a better disc drive, 1GB more of RAM, 40GB more on the HDD and .3GHz faster. I thought it was worth it and went for it. My laptop runs smoothly and amazing.

    EDIT: Oops, didn't read the question. I don't think the update will be too big and not worth it. So I got mine now.
     
  5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

    BlackMax

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #5
    It is probably not worth waiting. The Montevina MacBook might never arrive.

    Read this: Apple to Adopt Alternative Chipsets for Next Laptops
     
  6. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Location:
    Arizona
    #6
    It might not come out when expected, but maybe hold off on buying it until a little closer to school - squeeze out a little bit extra from Applecare. But I guess it doesn't really matter if you are waiting a week or two.
     
  7. muldul macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Location:
    West Sussex, England, UK
    #7
    I'd say it depends on what you are looking for in the machine, if you like the current design and are happy with the speeds, then go for it, if not then wait
     
  8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #8
    I would consider completely redecking out the product in Aluminium and styling it after the Air and the iMac, quite a major design change :p
     

Share This Page