Getting a Macbook - now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by generationxwing, Apr 12, 2009.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I'm going back to school in September, and have decided to get a Macbook. I already have an iMac at home, but I want something for when I'm in lectures and doing my practicum.

I'm getting the 2.4Ghz unibody model, along with a discounted MobileMe membership, which I will use to renew my current membership when it expires in December (I have confirmed with Apple that I can do this).

I've decided not to wait until Snow Leopard comes out, since I can get it I was speaking with a couple different Apple reps who noted that because the value of the Canadian dollar has gone down, the next hardware boost will probably see prices raised. Since the CDN $ is down ~20% from it's peak, I could end up paying another $150 more. Does this sound realistic to anyone here?

I know that Apple usually has a deal where you get an iPod when you buy a Macbook. Does this only apply to students? I ask because my wife's company has a discount with Apple that is better than the student discount. I already have an iPhone, my wife has an iPod touch so there'd be no point in waiting for the promo and paying a bit more to get an iPod that I frankly don't need.

What are your opinions?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Who says there will be a hardware upgrade at the same time as Snow Leopard's release?

3. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

To be honest - that's just an assumption of mine. As per the Macrumours Buyer's guide, we're approaching the typical update cycle for Macbooks. So it's at least an educated assumption.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Price increases are already baked in as the last MacBook was introduced at about the same exchange rate as we have now. THe free iPod is only for students.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Just get the macbook now and enjoy it. If there are going to be any spec bumps, it isn't going to be huge. (2.4 -> 2.53 at most). So unless you just want to have the latest and greatest...there's no reason to wait.

The free iPod is for students. It's a pretty good deal, considering you can just sell the ipod on ebay or something and make some extra cash off it.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

No guarantees of any upgrades. The CPUs probably won't see an upgrade until November. Keep in mind that you can easily make $250 by selling the iPod Touch you would get for free. Only education buyers can take advantage of the iPod deal.

7. daringone macrumors newbie

Sounds like I would go with buying it now with your wife's discount. You can always upgrade hardware/software later. Just my two cents [​IMG]

8. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

So I went and re-calculated. It's actually cheaper for me to get it through my University discount, but only because of Applecare. It's $66 cheaper.

Wife's work discount:
    Macbook 2.4GHz, MobileMe, Apple Care
    $2,107.35 (including GST)

Student Discount
    Macbook 2.4GHz, MobileMe, Apple Care
    $2,082.22

So...when does this back to school deal usually start? Also, do I pay full price for the iPod at the time of sale and get a mail-in rebate? Or how does that work?

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You pay the full price at checkout and from what I remember when I did this, you get a check in the mail for the amount you paid.

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Buy AppleCare from ebay. The going rate is about $125.

The education iPod deal starts around late June/July. There is no mailing involved if you buy online. All you have to do is submit everything electronically. They will mail you the check and they do it pretty quickly.

11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

We will probably see an update with faster Penryns in the next few months.

I don't think the MacBook will use Clarksfield.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I don't know a thing about it, but Apple tends to not update the notebooks during the iPod deal. iMacs yes but MBs not normally. Perhaps they will piss everyone off again this year and update after the deal ends. (I waited for my Alum MB until October this past year. Of course that was mostly Intel's fault coming out with the new CPU).

13. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Thanks for the advice, you've given me a lot to think about.

I'm going to think about waiting for the iPod deal, even though I realistically don't need one. I'll see how I feel next Friday when I'll have the cash I need to buy the MB. Even though I don't really *need* it until September.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

They might do it right before. The MacBook Pro was updated in early June 2007 once.