Getting a Macbook pro 15 inch, need help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erasr, Mar 6, 2009.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Hi, I have some extremely basic questions that I just need answering if that's ok! Some will sound silly...

I want to have a decent apple laptop and this one seems the best for me but I need re-assurance.

I want to use it for the normal kind of things but also for games like Starcraft 2, CSS, other RTS games. How will I go about this...as in do I need to have Windows XP on bootcamp to play these or are there Mac versions available?

If I buy the Mac versions do they all play on the same server as the PC gamers?

Do I really need to go for the 2.66Ghz model or will the 2.4 one be OK? - I was thinking of getting the 2.4 one with an upgrade to 4GB, that a good idea?

Finally, will I need to get iWork? Because I use word docs a lot and know that iWork will work with Word stuff...I hope, lol.

I looked at Macbooks today, as I wanted that initially, but then noticed how small the screen is and I need a Macbook pro it seems!

Thanks

2. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

go for the 2.4 and save some money. A macbook pro might not even be fit for your needs. You might just be able to pull of a macbook. But I also was in a similiar situation. I tried out the Macbook for 2 weeks. The screen wasn't big enough. No backlit keyboard. The speakers weren't loud enough for me. So i did an exchange and got the 2.4ghz 15" unibody mbp. Didn't regret it one but, i love this thing and the screen is amazing. It works for everything I do. I pretty much do the same things that you do on yours.

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't know which games are Mac native, but you can look at the Apple Store online to find out.

If there is a native game, it uses the same servers as the PC clients.

You're better off with a 2.4Ghz with 4GB or RAM than a 2.66GHz with 2GB of RAM, for sure.

iWork should be a very adequate stand-in for Word. It can read and write to Word formats.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

the 2.66 comes in 4GB standard

5. CTechKid macrumors regular

Blizzard, who is the company that made/makes Starcraft, always releases their games on hybrid discs, meaning they will always run natively on both Windows and OS X. Other companies usually port their games over to OS X a fair bit of time after its initially released on Windows.

Yes.

Get the most computer you can afford. Because RAM is so easy to swap in and out by the end user, I would get as big a processor as I could and upgrade the RAM at a later date. This is of course assuming you can only do one or the other. If you can do both at the same time, more power to you. :cool:

If you use Word Docs regularly and are accustomed to it, and don't have any use for Keynote from the iWork collection (Keynote is the real gem in this suite IMO), I would simply just get the student version of MS Office and be done with it.

6. apu1234 macrumors member

I your gonna use the computer for a long time I suggest you to buy the 2,66Ghz version, it'll be good for a longer time so you don't need to buy new one so quickly. The 2,4GHz version with 4GB ram cost 2100$ and the 2,66GHz version 2500$. With 400$ you get more vram and 70GB more storage.

7. thebreadking macrumors member

Is it true that the 2.4GHz machine has less VRAM (256 as opposed to 512 in the 2.66GHz), or is it only because it comes standard with half the RAM as the 2.66GHz machine?

At least for the newest Mac Minis, the VRAM for the 9400M is RAM dependent...would this not be the case on the MBPs as well? I'm flip-flopping between a Mini and the 2.4GHz MBP (two completely different machines, I know), but a solid answer to this question may help me better decide...

8. stevey69 macrumors regular

no , VRAM is not dependent on the RAM . the only thing if you buy 2.4ghz uni pro is you are going to have 3MB L2 cache. however, if you were to buy the 2.66, you would have 6MB L2 cache. you cant compare mini to uni pro, two different usage machines. go with the pro . i just recently bought unibody pro and me being a total new OSX user, it was the best transition i ever made.

steve

9. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

2.4 with 4GB dude

your best option....thats my machine

brilliant!

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

you must ask yourself if you realy real realy need the 2.66 only to do text and play some games? I use my 2.66 to do some major 2D/3D work and to make some money doing artworks for the web. I realy wish people get more productive and think of making money with these machines. A user like you only needs a regular MacBook or a cheap PC laptop with Microsoft Office on it.

I realy don't see a reason why you need to run OS X if your gonna be more on the windows side because of office and games.

Maybe is it because you want to have some Mac experience?

11. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

Oddly, I do agree with you. Both my brothers have Macs and both use them to 'make money' - one doing product design the other works for a well known PC mag.
    They always laugh at my thoughts about getting decent computer, but I plan to keep it a LONG time and use it a lot, even if that is mostly for games. I do use it for music programming too, only as a hobby.

You can't beat an Apple though. So yes, the experience is something I want. The design, the wow factor and the fact I have the cash easily.

I will go for the lower model I think, with 4GB upgrade. Thanks for the answers though, you guys are really helpful!!

But yeah, I definitely don't want another PC, cheaply made and unreliable.
    Funny thing is though, I only came to the MBP decision yesterday after seeing the 24" iMac in Comet, I wanted one of those initially but they are just way too big for what I want, I simply don't need a screen that size and don't want 20".

MBP seems a good inbetween option for someone undecided by a laptop or desktop.

12. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

If you are using lots of Word docs and you have kids (at school) then you can get Office 2008 from here for about £30. Totally legit and your child(ren)'s school will get some money to spend as well.

I got it from there as it's a total bargain.

EDIT: I assume you're in the UK because you are mentioned 'Comet'!

HTH

- D