Getting a MacBook Pro for college, want windows: VMware, Parallels, or Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nihao1234, Apr 29, 2010.

1. nihao1234 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm ready to upgrade my MacBook 13" late 2006 model to a new 15 inch pro, and realize that, especially in the college environment where many professors demand windows, I should run it somehow.

I've been doing extensive research for the last hour on the best way to run it, however I'm in a complete deadlock. Some people say just do boot camp, but I don't mind paying up to $100 extra if it will really be much smoother. Even when I try to compare the differences between VMware and Parallels (the latest versions of both), I don't see anything hugely significant. Plus, I see just as many complaints about both of them (I'm reading 1-star HORROR STORIES on amazon of each one), and really, really just want a smooth experience.

So, my dear MacRumors friends, I come to you for advice. Which of the three programs do you recommend? Personal anecdotes, feelings, etc...they're all appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Prospekt macrumors regular

I just use boot camp. I've never had to have OS X and Windows running at the same time so I wouldn't go waste money buying Parallels, etc. Plus I believe bootcamp runs smoother.

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

When i first bought my mac i thought i would need windows for something, but i didn't. I have yet to find one thing i need windows for, even for school. So go ahead and get your mac and try it first, but if you need windows get it.

4. celticpride678

I use Windows 7 in Boot Camp. I have also setup Windows 7 in VMware Fusion and Parallels 4, but neither are as smooth as Boot Camp.

5. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. Does anyone else have any comments...or is boot camp really the way to go over vmware or parallels?

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Use virtualbox (free) when you need to run both and set up bootcamp when you just want to run windows both are easy.

7. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I only have VMware, but one indispensable thing for me is the ability to drag and drop files between the virtual machine and my mac. I had a bunch of code on my mac I wanted on windows and all I had to do was drag it from the folder on my desktop over to the desktop of the virtual machine. It automatically copied. It seems like it would be a much larger pain in the ass to do that in boot camp.