Getting a MacBook Pro for Xmas.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BadboyHouse, Nov 29, 2011.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Can't wait. Joint present between between me and the mrs.

Anyway I'm coming from a Windows background (20 years) and I've only used Mac OSX in the shop whilst browsing the laptops.

We're getting it for web browsing etc etc. have an iPad already but do need a new computer as our current desktop has about had it.

Really looking forward to getting it - I've only seen positive reviews about the MacBook pro - most from people saying how much better they are than Windows desktops!

What am I likely to notice most coming from Windows?

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u will find out when u get it

3. fingerman macrumors member

Excellent, which model are you getting?

Stability and speed will be the most common things you'll notice :)

4. simsaladimbamba

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As a recent convert: quite a bit. For example: the Magic Trackpad.

6. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers. Getting the 13" model.

Speed and stability sound good. Our current home pc is a 7 year old Dell desktop. Its really slow and well due for replacement. iTunes for instance takes ages to load.

I've heard that Macs don't suffer from the slowdown that Windows does over time.

7. happle macrumors 6502a

^ yes the trackpad is wonderful. get familiar with the multi touch gestures.

other than that...

the good

speed/snappiness
    stability
    overall build quality

the bad

flash eats cpu (but now mac usually uses quicktime for videos)
    not as much power for gaming
    price

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Are In For

A real eye opener, fast, reliable, superb build quality....It goes on. It won't take you too long to grasp the basics. When you make the purchase, you will receive an email from Apple with links to various tutorials to help get you started.

Forget about Defrag

Forget about long boot times

Forget about huge updates once a month

Say goodbye to constant anti virus updates

If you can, browse the App Store and look at how cheaply you can get software for your new machine.

You will never go back to Windoze.....I know nobody who has. Enjoy your new Mac.

9. kapolani macrumors regular

Ah. The almighty halo effect.

I started off with an iPhone 3G.

Which led to my wife getting one. Then iphone4's followed by an ipad2. The MacBook Air came shortly after.

Maintaining a Mac is so much easier. You basically just have to wipe it down and call it a day. No more almost daily updates. No more spybot/malwarebyte/ccleaner/defrag junk.

I'm a software engineer. Been coding Windows's apps since the early 90's. Me and BSOD are drinking buddies. Been using a Mac for about a year. I rarely turn my machines off. Haven't had a kernel panic yet. Nary a hiccup.

Ive worked with Linux/unix etc so I'm used to the file system and the command line. You're going to have to un-learn some of your windows habits and learn some new commands, but it's well worth it.

I'm looking at getting an MBP in the near future.

Congrats on your gift. You're going to love it.

10. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Congrats on your gift, I know you will love it!

11. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree, you're going to love it. I used Windows PCs exclusively for 16 years before buying my first Mac. The transition was easy and I haven't looked back. I find Windows to be clunky in comparison to OS X. Constant useless updates, slow boots, crappy/uniform interface, and an overall feeling of discomfort are what I see in Windows now.

The best way to sum up the Mac experience is what you've already seen on your iPad: quality, speed, and just a lot of fun to use. Good luck (not that you'll need it)!

12. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

What about in terms of the MacBook Pro vs the iPad?

I obviously don't want to stop using the iPad when we get the MacBook - presumably they both have their place?

13. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Yeah you will be able to allot more on your pro than you will on your Ipad. But I am sure you will still have some use for your Ipad.

14. kapolani macrumors regular

For the road the iPad will be much more mobile. I wouldn't carry around the 17" and probably wouldn't lug a 15" around.

I use my MacBook Air or the wife's iPad when surfing on the couch watching tv. We use the iPad a lot in the kitchen looking up recipes etc. All your heavy lifting will be done on the MBP.

15. Macdeez macrumors member

Responsiveness, Ease of use, no need to update every single driver every day,speed, awesome trackpad gestures which save lots of time and hassle and make everything easier, a beautiful machine that is very reliable.

I got my MBP around 7 months ago and I'm still in love with this machine, its pretty amazing!

16. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

There ain't no "right-click" button on the trackpad. (Use 2 fingers and tap)

And speaking of the trackpad... the thing will actually be located IN THE CENTER OF THE FREAKING LAPTOP where it dutifully belongs.

17. praetorx macrumors regular

The grass is always greener over the other side of the fence.

Now to answer your question... you'll realize it's different type of grass but still grass nevertheless.

18. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if u know ur macs, u can actually set a right click if u want to in the settings LOL

19. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Yeah it is not hard to do.

20. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

haha That's definitely a useful piece of insight right there...

------

I think you'll notice that the OS is just far more refined than Windows has been, and it's very user friendly in my opinion. I personally got so accustomed to OS X that I barely remember what the issues of Windows were for me haha Although whenever I do happen to work on a Windows machine (Windows 7), it still feels kind of clunky. Not trying to trash Windows at all, just pointing out what I've noticed. I know that it's improving and becoming more and more like other Unix-based OSes, which is a good thing.

You'll also notice no need to be worried about viruses, which is another thing that I even take for granted at times because I never worry about them anymore like I did with past Windows machines haha

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Still Have Both

iPad 2 MBA and 17" MBP. They all have thier particular uses, your iPad will not simply gather dust on a shelf!