Getting a MacBook Pro soon, want to save some data from my broken iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alvi, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hi everyone, I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro and i want to know how could i get some data out of my broken iMac which had a graphics card failure which just made the whole reparation process really expansive so i decided to better get a new mac.
    Is there a way to read the data from a PC?
    Would i have to get a hard drive enclosure?
    Or some sort of Fire Wire/USB -> SATA Cable?

2. sniggles macrumors newbie

sniggles

try the slave mode...

Hi Alvi, I don't know if it's also available for iMac, but Macbooks are able to go into a slave mode, when they are connected with another mac via firewire. If you have bought your macbook connect it via firewire to the iMac and try holding the "T"-Key while booting your iMac. If it's working, the iMac HD should be mounted on your Macbook like an extern HD.

3. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Thanks a lot! :) I'll try it once i get the MacBook, i hope it will work, if not i will have to do it the bad way and open the thing, get the HD out and buy a case to connect it to my computer... at least i would have a new hard drive i could use as time machine or something after i transfer the data :D

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's called Target Disk Mode and it's available on any mac with a firewire connection. There is no restriction on the iMac and I have used this mode it past to transfer data from on old iMac to a new one. If your iMac will boot up then using this method should give you access to the drive.

5. Sythas macrumors 6502a

Sythas

When my white imac had a graphic card failure I've used the Target mode with a firewire cable and it work whitout a problem. BTW with my broken imac I have plug a second display to it and it works flawlessly... it's just the connection to the main display that is broken for me

6. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

That means that it's more like a display failure, i tried to connect an external display and nothing...