Getting a MacBook Pro soon, want to save some data from my broken iMac

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Hi everyone, I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro and i want to know how could i get some data out of my broken iMac which had a graphics card failure which just made the whole reparation process really expansive so i decided to better get a new mac.
Is there a way to read the data from a PC?
Would i have to get a hard drive enclosure?
Or some sort of Fire Wire/USB -> SATA Cable?

sniggles

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
berlin
try the slave mode...

Hi Alvi, I don't know if it's also available for iMac, but Macbooks are able to go into a slave mode, when they are connected with another mac via firewire. If you have bought your macbook connect it via firewire to the iMac and try holding the "T"-Key while booting your iMac. If it's working, the iMac HD should be mounted on your Macbook like an extern HD.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Thanks a lot! :) I'll try it once i get the MacBook, i hope it will work, if not i will have to do it the bad way and open the thing, get the HD out and buy a case to connect it to my computer... at least i would have a new hard drive i could use as time machine or something after i transfer the data :D

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's called Target Disk Mode and it's available on any mac with a firewire connection. There is no restriction on the iMac and I have used this mode it past to transfer data from on old iMac to a new one. If your iMac will boot up then using this method should give you access to the drive.

Sythas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Québec, Canada
When my white imac had a graphic card failure I've used the Target mode with a firewire cable and it work whitout a problem. BTW with my broken imac I have plug a second display to it and it works flawlessly... it's just the connection to the main display that is broken for me

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
That means that it's more like a display failure, i tried to connect an external display and nothing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.