Getting a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lwightman, May 30, 2018.

1. lwightman macrumors newbie

I start a new job Monday with a new Macbook Pro. This is my first time using a mac so I'll have a learning curve. I was asked what kind of keyboard and mouse I want and I've no idea. I usually use Logitech keyboards and mouse with a USB receiver. I'm not sure how keyboard how things would work with only Thunderbolt 3 ports.
    Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. chabig macrumors 603

The MacBook Pro already comes with a keyboard and trackpad. You don’t need any external devices. If you want an external keyboard, just get whatever they offer and you like. It makes no difference what you use. All USB keyboards work fine. As for the mouse, my recommendation is to forget about it and experience the joy of trackpad gestures. If you insist, again...get whatever makes you happy.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

Just get a USB C hub with standard USB A ports. Just a few bucks. Leave it wherever you park the external keyboard, monitor, mouse setup. Plug in and you are ready to go with your familiar peripherals. Have fun.

4. t.portis macrumors member

t.portis

I used Apple's external keyboard and trackpad at home and work and really like them.

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Since Apple provides BlueTooth for its mice, trackpads and keyboards, no need for cables or special USB "receiver" taking up one or more valuable ports. Wireless is the way to go! Just request a BT external keyboard and BT mouse (preferably Apple) and you're good to go. I have a 15" MBP set up at home like a desktop, with the computer on a stand and I use the Apple BT keyboard and Apple BT Magic Mouse 2 with it. I have another Apple notebook, the 12" MacBook, which I usually use on my lap seated near a table and I often use a Magic Mouse 2 with it, also, but don't need an external keyboard.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

OP says he wants to use Logitech KB and mouse. KB and mouse are deeply personal choices to many. I will only use MX Brown switches in my keyboard, my wife will only use a Logitech MX Master 25 mouse.

7. t.portis macrumors member

t.portis

No, he said he usually uses Logitech. They are fine keyboards, I have two or three and use the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro. Switching to the bluetooth trackpad helped "heal" some repetitive use pains I was having from using a mouse for so many years. For those experiencing hand pain, I highly recommend trying that.

8. jerryk macrumors 601

Good eyes. I assumed he wanted to use his existing KB and mouse.

9. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

I use the Magic Keyboard even thou at home I got MX Silent Cherrys.

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I'd ask for a Logitech mouse, but be aware you'll need a USB-c to USB-a adapter for the "unifying receiver". You might be able to run the mouse via Bluetooth, but the USB method often just works better.