Getting a Macbook Pro

lwightman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2018
I start a new job Monday with a new Macbook Pro. This is my first time using a mac so I'll have a learning curve. I was asked what kind of keyboard and mouse I want and I've no idea. I usually use Logitech keyboards and mouse with a USB receiver. I'm not sure how keyboard how things would work with only Thunderbolt 3 ports.
Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
The MacBook Pro already comes with a keyboard and trackpad. You don’t need any external devices. If you want an external keyboard, just get whatever they offer and you like. It makes no difference what you use. All USB keyboards work fine. As for the mouse, my recommendation is to forget about it and experience the joy of trackpad gestures. If you insist, again...get whatever makes you happy.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I start a new job Monday with a new Macbook Pro. This is my first time using a mac so I'll have a learning curve. I was asked what kind of keyboard and mouse I want and I've no idea. I usually use Logitech keyboards and mouse with a USB receiver. I'm not sure how keyboard how things would work with only Thunderbolt 3 ports.
Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
Just get a USB C hub with standard USB A ports. Just a few bucks. Leave it wherever you park the external keyboard, monitor, mouse setup. Plug in and you are ready to go with your familiar peripherals. Have fun.

t.portis

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Annapolis, MD
Just get a USB C hub with standard USB A ports. Just a few bucks. Leave it wherever you park the external keyboard, monitor, mouse setup. Plug in and you are ready to go with your familiar peripherals. Have fun.
I used Apple's external keyboard and trackpad at home and work and really like them.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Since Apple provides BlueTooth for its mice, trackpads and keyboards, no need for cables or special USB "receiver" taking up one or more valuable ports. Wireless is the way to go! Just request a BT external keyboard and BT mouse (preferably Apple) and you're good to go. I have a 15" MBP set up at home like a desktop, with the computer on a stand and I use the Apple BT keyboard and Apple BT Magic Mouse 2 with it. I have another Apple notebook, the 12" MacBook, which I usually use on my lap seated near a table and I often use a Magic Mouse 2 with it, also, but don't need an external keyboard.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I used Apple's external keyboard and trackpad at home and work and really like them.
OP says he wants to use Logitech KB and mouse. KB and mouse are deeply personal choices to many. I will only use MX Brown switches in my keyboard, my wife will only use a Logitech MX Master 25 mouse.

t.portis

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Annapolis, MD
OP says he wants to use Logitech KB and mouse. KB and mouse are deeply personal choices to many. I will only use MX Brown switches in my keyboard, my wife will only use a Logitech MX Master 25 mouse.
No, he said he usually uses Logitech. They are fine keyboards, I have two or three and use the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro. Switching to the bluetooth trackpad helped "heal" some repetitive use pains I was having from using a mouse for so many years. For those experiencing hand pain, I highly recommend trying that.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
No, he said he usually uses Logitech. They are fine keyboards, I have two or three and use the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro. Switching to the bluetooth trackpad helped "heal" some repetitive use pains I was having from using a mouse for so many years. For those experiencing hand pain, I highly recommend trying that.
Good eyes. I assumed he wanted to use his existing KB and mouse.

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
I'd ask for a Logitech mouse, but be aware you'll need a USB-c to USB-a adapter for the "unifying receiver". You might be able to run the mouse via Bluetooth, but the USB method often just works better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.