Getting a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hugh, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

In a few weeks here I am going to get a MacBook 2.2ghz and was wondering how upgradeable is the machine? Meaning can I get to the RAM and Hard Drive easily. Yes I know the graphics are shared from the memory like the last MacBooks, but how is this new Intel set? I don't play games that often (I have game consoles for that). However I do plan on doing some video editing and programing on the Window side for school. Does the new Intel set slow down the computer down?

Thanks for your answers! :D

Hugh

2. 119576 Guest

You can upgrade the RAM and HDD easily enough. They're also extremely easy to get hold of.

3. Rotary8 macrumors regular

took literally 5-10 minutes to upgrade ram and HD. It's a complete monster.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The GPU will Be fine for what you want to do and Yes the Computer is very easy to upgrade as other's said.

5. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Getting a MacBook

But remember.

You're talking about a laptop, and your ability to change anything other than RAM or HDD, is finite. And you can plug devices into your USB or Firewire ports.

But that's it. In respect to RAM, you can increase the amount of RAM but your MacBook will have a limit, which can't be exceeded, or changed respecting the total amount of RAM, which can be installed.

For example it ships with 1GB of RAM. And you can increase the amount of RAM to 4GB. But in order to do that, the original RAM that came with the MacBook must be removed.

Laptops are a compromise, between the expandability of the desktop, Mac Pro, and the unportability of the desktop.

Laptops travel, but expansion is not an option, other than above.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

No worse than an iMac though... actually it's more expandable than the iMac... (bitch to get to the HDD) who besides absolute professionals and the wealthy can afford a Mac Pro?

Let's face it until Apple releases a headless iMac or a Mac Cube the only really affordable easy upgrade system IS the Macbook.

7. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Notebooks

Yes, I know that you are limited on what can be upgraded on a notebook, I just wanted to know how easy or hard is it to install a hard drive, and memory. Is the GMA X3100 faster then the GMA 950 when it comes to video editing and running windows via boot camp.

But thanks for the reminder! :D

Hugh

8. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Memory Question..

What size of the PC2-5300 memory do I use on the MacBook. The 200 pin or 240 pin?

Thanks! :D

Hugth

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

You want this 200-pin memory:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=2709378FA5CA7304

BTW, if you plan on doing video you should really try it out on a macbook to see if the graphics card will suit you. Also, you will need at least 4gb for serious video stuff. Lastly, upgrading the hdd will void your warranty just in case that's important to you.

10. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Memory Question take 2

Well thanks for the help and heads up on the hard drive voiding my warranty. I hope this is not the same for the memory... :(

Huh

11. 119576 Guest

Nope!

Your warranty is only void if your laptop sustains any damage (caused by you) while you are changing the HDD. If it goes smoothly, you're fine.

12. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

The Mac Mini being upgradable

What about the Mac Mini? The CPU on the Mac Mini can be replaced. Not easy or for the squirmiest but it has been done by lot of people.

Hugh

13. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks!!!!

That's to all the replied. I found that OWC on a video on how to replace the memory and hard drive. Man they even have the cheapest memory prices.
    $49.00 (US) for a set of 1gb sims giving you 2GB, or for a $99.97 you can get a 2GB set giving you 4GB.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

Thanks!! :D

Hugh

14. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Isn't that the exact time you would want the warranty to be in effect - i.e. if you BREAK IT!

15. 119576 Guest

Yes it is. But you've broken it through your own fault. So it's 'intentional damage'.

Even though it isn't.

It's a bit like 'manslaughter'

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Dude that ain't cheap at all! newegg.com has 2gb chips for 39.99 and free shipping I think. You can get 4gb for the price you want to spend!

Here buy this

17. cudo macrumors regular

hi, i got different problem. i am getting mac too..and it gonna be my 1st mac machine. considering macbook but since there is so much news about new updates coming im not sure if i shell get one now or wait until jan 2008. what do u think? on the other side i cannot wait any more..i guesss..cos i spent so much time reading about it that i dont want to wait anylonger but just dont want to get sth that will outdate in 1 month..

cudo

18. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Do you need it today? And the Macbook was just updated... you'd only be waiting for the new MBP to be announced there probably won't be a new MB until mid next year.

Get it now. I just did.

19. cudo macrumors regular

sorry for the nOOb question but does it have CD/DVD burner ?

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

from the MacBook Tech Specs page:
    You don't have to be a nOOb. You can fairly easily find this information on Apple's own website.

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

There are 2 models both can burn CDs one can burn DVDs as well. Then there is the blackbook which is the same as the DVD burning model with a bigger hard drive.

22. cudo macrumors regular

thx for the info. i guess i made my mind and gonna get my black macbook from my locla apple store with studnt discount for £816 plus crucial 4gb Ram for £100..is is a good plan :D

cudo

23. cudo macrumors regular

does mac read miniDVD as i got miniDVD camcorder ?:confused:

24. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

No, they cannot read mini-dvd, you will need to recopy them to a full size disc, or get an external DVD reader.

25. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I'm in the same spot as the OP really looking to buy a Macbook within the next few weeks but I'm more concerned about the price drop after the update of the current ones. Does apple drop the prices when an update hits? They don't seem to offer sales ever on anything so just curious. I wouldn't be surprised if they just pulled the current macbooks and started immediately selling the new ones citing "cannibalization" as they like to say.