Getting a MBP+128GB SSD -> 2.66Mhz or 2.8Mhz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reyes300, Jan 25, 2010.

1. reyes300 macrumors newbie

reyes300

I plan to get soon a new MBP 15", and I am going to upgrade it to 128GB SSD and antiglare.

I'm not sure yet about getting a 2.66Mhz or a 2.8Mhz; I know the differences are 256MB vs 512MB (VRAM) and 3MB vs 6MB (L2 cache). But, I don't know if these differences would be noticeable since the 128GB SSD would increase the average speed of the applications and the OS anyway.

I use most the following applications at the same time: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iMovie, Filezilla, ARD, MS Word, Endnote, SPSS, Safari and Mail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. MacYost macrumors member

The 2.53 GHz version does not have a discrete graphics card. I would not consider that one. If you do not need the screen size, you could even buy a 13" MBP with the same specs and save some money.

I do not know the exact speed difference between the 2.66 and the 2.8 GHz models. Check http://www.barefeats.com/. If you plan on using the machine for a long time and you have the money, I would advice to buy the fastest CPU you can afford. Because you cannot upgrade the processor and cache later on. On the other hand, the 2.66 model is probably fast enough for almost anything you would want to do with it. So if it is okay, save some money.

And if you really need speed for a good price, wait until the next upgrade of the line. Expected any day now.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One thing to consider is the fact that those components cannot be upgraded after the sale. So you'll have a slower GPU, less onboard cache, slower CPU.

Personally, I'd go with the 2.8 but in actuality if you're thinking buying soon, why not wait and see if apple updates its MBP line this week. This discussion may be moot, in that they'll have a new set of MBPs to choose from.

4. davwin macrumors regular

Given this statement I would also recommend you go with the 2.6 with discreet graphics. Some of these apps and many others now are GPU accelerated so, although the apps would be accelerated on either, the 9600 (discreet card) will offer better performance vs. the 9400 in any of those apps - let alone when coupled with an SSD. that will be a nice, fast machine :)

5. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I just put in an Intel X25-M Mainstream 160GB SSD in my 2.8. So far its fast as hell. Like beyond anything I've experienced (so far). I use the following apps at the same time as well: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iMovie, MS Word, Safari and Mail.

I used some tax refund loot and the money I got from my stock HDD to get the drive and my brother already ordered his 80 GB SSD drive. A few friends said we are being foolish and idiots for buying SSD now. Said should have stuck to a cheap 7200 HDD until SSD comes down in price, etc... well - sure but hey why not.

6. MacYost macrumors member

One thing to remember: the SSD will speed up the start of applications and the stremaing of data from disk to memory and visa versa. A faster CPU will only be noticable with processes that claim a lot of CPU-cycles, like converting/deconverting movies and music files or using filters and plug-in's in movie, photo or audio editting applications. During "normal" use, your CPU is mainly doing nothing.