getting a mbp...but leopard isn't here till october

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zblaxberg, Apr 13, 2007.

?

Should I buy a MBP?

  1. Yes, santa rosa isn't that big of an upgrade, buying now would be a great choice!

    46 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. No, wait for santa rosa, it will be well worth it and/or they might upgrade more than that

    44 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. zblaxberg Guest

    zblaxberg

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2007
    #1
    Okay, so I know you are probably sick and tired of these buying a macbook pro threads but I've read them all too. Please just hear me out. I've been planning on getting a macbook pro for a year now but I was going to wait till june in hopes that leopard would be released. Now that we know it won't be here till october...that takes care of that. However there is santa rosa. From what I've read it seems that with santa rosa we will just be seeing a slight boost in speed in the computers. Well the macbook pro seems pretty darn fast to me right now. Is there any other reason why you think I shouldn't buy it now? Santa Rosa doesn't seem that huge to me and I can just buy leopard when it comes out.

    Now I know someone on here is gonna say buy only if you need it otherwise just wait. But I don't quite need it but it can't wait until October. So correct me if I'm wrong but with santa rosa we would only see a slight increase in processing speed and I think a faster front side bus?
     
  2. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #2
    The notebooks were updating in November. The iMacs and poor Mini have been going longer. I would expect those to see revisions before the portables. The MBP is a good buy now. However, that said, I don't know what impact Santa Rosa will have on the portables, more so on the MacBook because of the integrated graphics but the MBP less so, though the faster FSB and Robson features are what you would have to consider.

    The question is, can you go till late June or July before upgrading. I don't think the portables will see a revision before then. I think WWDC will feature the desktops.

    Honestly, buy now. Sell it next year and get a Santa Rosa with a Penryn 45nm CPU.
     
  3. xfusejc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    #3
    I'm waiting for the June conference and see what comes out of that. I too was going to buy the MBP once Leopard came out, because it would coincide with me going to college. Now I'm going to have to buy the MBP regardless of Leopard or not, but I'll wait and see if there are any updates to the line-up.
     
  4. eenu macrumors 65816

    eenu

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #4
    Thats exactly what i am going to do. I was waiting for WWDC07 for Leopard on a MB or MBP but i will wait and see if the hardware comes and get it without leopard.
     
  5. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

    zblaxberg

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2007
    #5
    so now I'm seeing this rumor about NAB...Has anyone heard anything as far as MBP's at NAB...Is it likely we will see any hardware updates or just software updates. I'm praying it will be an updated MBP but santa rosa still isn't ready unfortunately. So I'm thinking maybe I'll wait till NAB...just to see what happens and then I'll get my mbp:rolleyes:
     
  6. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #6
    I don't think that they will be updated at NAB but since it is just a few days I would wait untill then and buy after the event wether they are updated or not.
     
  7. iPhil macrumors 68040

    iPhil

    #7

    If you keep - on thinking like that, eventually you'll go crazy because you say no to Santa Rosa platform and wait for next platform from intel ..



    Listen to me:

    If you need the unit now then buy the unit now

    If not wait a month then buy then
     
  8. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

    failsafe1

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2003
    #8
    Don't listen to what other people tell you to do. But if you really want someone to tell you what to do this is it. :D What I think you should do is purchase a new MBP for me and wait until the next platform to get one for yourself.
     
  9. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

    zblaxberg

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2007
    #9
    I have a $2700 gift card to the apple store...only enough for one macbookpro sorry...after that i'm broke

    yes that is correct a $2700 gift card. i went into the store with it all in cash too and I've had a gift card ever since
     
  10. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

    failsafe1

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2003
    #10
    Oh well I forgive you. Great idea to get a gift card so you have cash in hand for the computer. No debt and no misuse of funds.
     
  11. savar macrumors 68000

    savar

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    District of Columbia
    #11
    The onboard flash also gives Santa Rosa some faster memory for storing memory pages...So you get a speed boost when you're switching between a lot of open applications, but you also get a battery boost in theory because the hard drive can possibly spin down for long periods of time.

    Personally I don't think its that big of a deal. It's definitely the way of the future, but flash is still kind of expensive, so we either won't see much flash in the early models or else the price points will rise. October is a long time from now. If you're itching to get one, go for it.
     
  12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #12
    I would buy now if I were in your situation. I am going to wait because I am no hurry to buy (I'm on a 2.33 iMac right now) even though Santa Rosa won't be much of an update.
     
  13. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Location:
    Detroit, Michigan
    #13
    Always buy products when you are ready. Screw waiting, because if you wait, you will continue to wait, and wait and wait.

    So in other words: go buy your MBP. :)
     
  14. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

    Marky_Mark

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    Had mine two weeks now, and I love it. You could die waiting, you do know that, don't you? Only takes one bus. GO AND BUY ONE NOW! :D
     
  15. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Location:
    Detroit, Michigan
    #15
    Had mine 356 days now. :) Still love it, hate the power adapters. :)
     
  16. zephead macrumors 68000

    zephead

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2006
    Location:
    in your pants
    #16
    Just go get it now. Judging by the time between when Merom (Core2) was announced by Intel and the amount of time before Apple put C2Ds into their computers, I don't think it would be very crazy to say that Apple is only gonna put Santa Rosa in the Macs when Leopard is released, even if Santa Rosa does come out in June.
     
  17. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #17
    I am in the same boat as you, I was waiting until June when Leopard was released to upgrade. Now with Leopard coming in October I say screw waiting, I'm getting it now. I have half my design software in windows versions on an XP partition and the other half on my OS X partition. All this on an original CD MacBook :eek:

    I need it now so I'll get it now.
     
  18. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

    zblaxberg

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2007
    #18
    so it looks like i'm gonna wait till next week and when I find the time and I'm off of work, I'm buying a macbook pro...2.33 ghz, 2gb ram and 160gb hard drive

    :D
     
  19. luminosity macrumors 65816

    luminosity

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    Location:
    Arizona
    #19
    Good call :). That's mine as well, as you can see in my signature.
     
  20. island macrumors 6502

    island

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2007
    Location:
    CT
    #20
    Looking forward to the design change this year with the MBP :D
     
  21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #21
    I would not buy if I were in your position. The next revision will not just be santa rosa chips. How about updated graphics, user changeable hard drives, and robson caching? How about LED, high def screens? A little patience will net you a much nicer product.
     
  22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

    sikkinixx

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Location:
    Rocketing through the sky!
    #22
    Get it now then sell it in a year before Applecare is up and buy a new one for minimal loss!

    I sold my 12" powerbook and got a macbook when they were released and it cost me a whopping $200 when it was all said and done(which is half the price of paying for extended Apple Care)

    Just this week I sold that macbook for $900 with missing stuff out of it and scratched to hell (never lend a laptop to anyone ever), so if I wanna buy the new base model macbook it will cost me about $350 which is only $50 more than getting extended Apple Care and its the new one!

    :apple: = resale value
     
  23. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #23
    Same here.

    What I hope to see are the following:
    1) LED backlit screens
    2) revised case design
    3) Robson caching is nice too...
     
  24. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

    k2k koos

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2003
    Location:
    Somewhere between yesterday and tomorrow
    #24
    While speed gains won't be in the same region, as when the portables switched from G4's to Intel architecture, there will be some boost, a faster frontside bus for example, and somewhat faster processors. But the biggest difference is the architecture it self, right now, our 64bit Core 2 duo processors are sitting on a motherboard architecture of 32bit. Santa Rosa will be 64 bit through and through. So if 64 bit computing is important to you, it's worth waiting, if not, get one now and be happy with it :) :apple:
     
  25. mergatroidal macrumors newbie

    mergatroidal

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2007
    Location:
    New York
    #25
    Buy the MBP ...

    because you won't regret not having the options of Leopard to play around with come October. I went from using a G3 366MHz clamshell iBook running Puma, to a 667MHz G4 PowerBook that also had Puma (10.1) installed, I couldn't wait for Leopard and bought and installed Tiger into the PB, and I will probably spend a full year getting accustomed and then productive with all the features Tiger possesses.

    I'm using a cool Script Editor now, polishing these AppleScripts --> you'll download a 76 kb bin file if you click here: http://homepage.mac.com/k24anson/synaptic11/My_SayingCurrentTimecrontab.bin.

    From AppleWorks to Pages, Dashboard, Spotlight, a dictionary, Automator to upload files to iDisk for triple back-up redundancy with Backup and Mail ..., I could go on with the thrill of upgrading from Puma to the Tiger OS though my only inconvenience is the still all too frequent spinning ball; 512 MB's is why. ($200+ dollars to install 1G of ram I don't have.) Tiger is an incredible step up as I do what I do on a daily basis with a computer.

    Your needs for why you use a computer in the first place should dictate your purchasing decision. Text editing (I'm writing a manuscript) is all I actually need a computer for. Whatever your specific needs are is what matters. I mean, what do I need Time Machine for?

    I vote for you to take the steps to, "Buy ... now!"

    Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Stop all the thinking and just do it ...! :cool: Go and purchase a brand new MBP tonight, or first thing tomorrow morning.
     

Share This Page