Getting a MBP cooler - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jon08, Jun 5, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

My MBP runs at average temps, in other words, it's not overheating. However, I've been looking for a stand for it to elevate it slightly so that the screen would reach about the height of my eyes. It's for the sake of not having to bend my neck downwards when looking at the screen.

Now if I were to buy a stand, I thought I'd perhaps rather have the one that still allows you to type without a hitch; I thought since I'm getting a stand it might as well be a good idea for it to be a "cooling" one, since it would have a positive effect on my MBP. Is my thinking correct though? Are these coolers only meant for notebooks who originally run at higher temps, or is it recommended to have one for any notebook - if not anything, just to be on the safe side and potentially preserve the notebook better (prevent it from high temps)?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

take a look at the mStand + wireless kb and mouse

are you running at high temps?

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

How about reading my post? No, I'm not running at high temps. I was asking tho, if it's still advisable to get a cooler since I'm already getting a stand that would still allow me to type on my laptop....

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

sorry but you do not have to be a jerk... i hope no one else takes time out of their day to try to help you. i made that mistake

do you ever run at high temps? i encode a video once in a while which boosts the temps quite a bit, but this is rare, so i dont consider myself someone that runs at higher temps.

i dont know why you would get a cooler if you are not running at higher temps. the fans are still going to be running at the standard base temperature, so i dont see any benefit to wasting more usb power on the fans (o AA batteries) depending on the stand that you get.

most of the coolers are only about an inch or so thick and I do not see how they raise the laptop screen enough to be a noticeable difference in regards to how much you have to look down at the monitor. hence my suggestion of the mstand and the keyboard/mouse combo so that you can type.

if you never run at higher temps, just use a book to boost the laptop up... may i suggest a title...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470106727

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. Seriously as mlemonds said, if you are not running on high T, then go for passive cooling like the mstand, i have it and it will be good for your posture, and help cool your laptop passively.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Okay, your question is probably answered here...

Good Idea! Which ones are you looking at?

Umm? Like which ones?

It won't hurt?

I doubt your saving it that much if you run at normal temps. In terms of preservation, once again, it won't hurt, but if you don't overheat - you probably are doing minimal efforts...

I'm not trying to be mean...I just haven't slept in 27 hours, so my rephrasing is not soo good...

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

the OP is not having problems with overheating...gawd read their post...

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nevermind...

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I was being sarcastic...I'm heading towards sleep, but seriously iThought the OP was just suggesting get a cooling stand vs. a non-cooling stand for the reason of: just because.

10. mmulin macrumors 6502

It is always good to be on the "safe side". A cooler doesn't hurt (it is not like it will make your MBP freeze to death). So this is up to you and, I think, no-one here can decide for you since you are not having any problem with the current setup.

11. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Look, nobody with a MBP runs high temps, ok.
    My PowerBook G4 gets to 140º F just looking at the internet. God forbid I try to do something on it, then the GPU gets up around 160º Fand the CPU gets around 155º F
    This is a two part moral:
    1. you don't need an active cooler, that's what the internal fans are for
    2. I hate my ****** PowerBook

hope this helps! ;)

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

to be honest, those aren't great in terms of ergonomics... I use primarily a Logitech Alto Connect and one of those cheap Target desk fans. Computer stays 10 degrees cooler then normal and I love the advantages of the Alto. Getting your notebook elevated will decreases the temperature more significantly then the fans (in the 'coolers') do.