Getting a MBP in Christmas: Really Need SSD Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride., Nov 24, 2010.

1. Ride. macrumors newbie

Hey!

I'm getting an MBP for Christmas, and I've decided on SSD memory. So, I've done my research and, according to my research, SSD drives pre-installed by Apple are inferior to others, for example, the Kingston V100+'s. Because of this, I have some questions:

1- Are the Kingston drives reliable, and, regardless, are the ones pre-installed by Apple more reliable?

2- Is the performance difference between the two negligible, or is it fairly or very noticeable?

3- If I were to purchase a Kingston SSD, and I had software pre-installed on my Mac (I'm ordering online) how would I transfer my programs and iOS/OS since it will be new out of the box?

4- Any tips, warnings, or reasons why I should/should not do this?

Thanks! All help is greatly appreciated!

2. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Look for an affordable sandforce driven drive. I personally have owc and it is very good but the ocz vertex 2 has some good reviews as well.

To me the performance boost is massive for ssds. The sandforce ones are especially peppier. My friend has an apple SSd and I think mine is slightly faster. Sandforce also won't degrade over time like the apple ones All my Apps open up within one bounce, loading files is speedy, and my start up time is 18 seconds. SSd also saves battery. I have seen about an average of an extra half hour of life. I simply have nothing bad to say about them, besides the fact that they are pricy...

If you have the means to upgrade, do it.