Getting a MBP with the Barclaycard? Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Audi09, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Audi09 macrumors member

Im looking to get my first Mac comp but I would need to pay payments. Would anyone know if you're approved for credit does everyone get the same credit limit on the card? Or does it depend on your credit history?
    I have "good" credit but I would need a limit of 2000 or I cant get one :confused:

2. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Really depends on your credit history and for £2000 you dont usualy get that first off unless you have been makeing payments for a while on other purchases!

Speaking of which you only usually get 56 day interest free on a purchase then its what ever APR it is so a £2000 laptop could end up costing £2700-£3000 depending on how much the bank takes each time as payment!

The best way would be a BNPL (buy now pay later) You can do this in some stores you get a buy now pay 12 month later you pay 10% deposit say £100 then pay the rest off before the due date! and you get no charges! otherwise stepping over a day after the 12 months your £2000 laptop will shoot up to anything like £3000 - £3500!

Hope thats helped!

Carl

3. mbpjohnson macrumors member

Everyone is different why not go to the online apple store and fill out the online application, takes 5 mins and will tell you how much your approved for.
    Only problem is they will send you a card whether you want it or not but you can call and cancel it if it is not enough.

Phil

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

It all depends (as mentioned) on credit history and whether you're a 'good' customer. A 'good' customer to them has a totally different meaning to you and I though. Their definition of 'good' is how much money can they make out of you. For instance, my credit rating has always been very good but when I was with them my limit was 3k and it was cut down to £200 overnight just because I always paid the debt back in full, on time, all the time. It was obvious they didn't want unprofitable customers like me on their books. Fortunately many other card companies do not share the same ethics.

Anyway, avoid using your card to make the purchase for reasons already mentioned.

5. ustahir1 macrumors member

well tbh its difficult to say as everybody is different, its a case of asking them and seeing what they can do, tbh if you can avoid taking credit its do it, as said by carl try the buy now pay later scheme especially if you dont get charged anything where as with the credit card you are most likely to get a low-ish limit with high interest

6. cschwartzy macrumors newbie

It is all situational. If you are smart there is no problem doing it. It is 12 months no interest, so get it, pay it off in 12 months and cancel the card.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Never known barclaycard to be generous. 12 months? :eek::rolleyes:

8. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

What is this buy now pay later thing ? Is it only in store or you can get it online too ? Also is there any verification for student pricing ? I'm not a student but know someone who is so do I need to buy it on their name ? How whole academic pricing works with Apple ?

9. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

12 months under $2500 and 18 over $2500. 6 months below $900.

10. SonicEarth macrumors member

All I had to do was show my student ID.

11. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

If you buy it online you do not have to verify anything. However emplyees in the Apple store themselves will most likely give you the student discount without an id if you let them know what you want and you want to stay within a certain budget and they will work something out with you. Keep in mind you only get 1 student discount a year.

12. molala macrumors 6502a

For Barclaycard and most others, yes the credit limit does depend on your credit rating. Hope you find one with a 0% offer on purchases for 6 months or more.

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Are they trying to start another credit crisis in the US? Barclaycard are alot more tight fisted here in the UK.