Getting a movie to play inside a picture of an iPad

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Greencardman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Hey folks,
    We have an iPad app and we need to make a movie for a show we're in. I took a video of the app using Reflections, so now I have a 768 x 1024 movie. I need to make it appear as if that movie is inside an iPad (I have a PNG of an iPad) and then make sure the movie is 16:9. Any ideas? I have iMovie 11, and I'm having all sorts of trouble just importing the png and getting the movie to play behind it and resizing both to fit right. Is there any easy way to do this?Am I missing something here?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. Is the iPad going to be static, or will it be moving in the frame?

2. iMovie really lacks the layering and masking tools you'll need to do what you're trying to accomplish. You can do this in pretty much any version of FCP by using a 4-point garbage mask to matte out the screen and placing the video footage in the layer below it.

3. If the iPad is indeed moving, you'll need to track its movement somehow. NLEs really don't have tracking tools for this, so you'd better suited doing this in a program like After Effects using the Mocha (a planar tracking tool) add-on it comes with.

3. Greencardman thread starter macrumors 6502

No, just a static iPad. I just need it to act like a picture frame really. Kind of weird that I can probably do this easily in code on a website but not in a program made for making movies. Very frustrating.

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If I'm understanding you right, you want a movie you've made to look like it's playing in a still picture of an iPad. I've done similar stuff before using Apple's Keynote and Quicktime 7...

If the picture of the iPad is straight on (not angled), cut out the iPad screen so that it is a transparent hole (basically, turn your iPad image into a doughnut by cutting out its screen while keeping its frame). Open Keynote and drag that now-transparent hole iPad image into a slide. Drag your movie into the same slide and "send to back" after sizing it to fill the iPad screen. Use Keynote tools to make the movie play when clicked. Put a blank slide after this one. Use Keynote's record function to record playback. Start recording. Click to start the video playback. After the video is finished playing, advance to the next (blank) slide. Stop (Keynote) recording.

This will yield a quicktime file of what I am thinking you are after. Open it with QT7 and chop off the blank slide segment at the very end. Save again. This should yield exactly what you seek.

Consider running that file through Handbrake to make the file size small... or use the export settings of QT7.

If the picture of the iPad is angled, you'll need to use some other tools for similarly angling the video for playback (so it looks like it is showing at the same angle, facilitating the illusion it is playing on that iPad). There are lots of tools capable of playing back video in 3D space.

5. Greencardman thread starter macrumors 6502

Genius, thanks. It worked like a charm. Still a little surprised iMovie couldn't handle it, but glad you were here with the Keynote info. Thanks again.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I'm glad you got everything worked out. I would have never thought to use Keynote (but I never have to do presentations). ;)

Remember that iMovie is basic software that gets bundled with every Mac and Apple limits its capabilities to keep it simple for beginners, who are mostly cutting together home movies shot on consumer camcorders.

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I edit my app trailers together in Keynote. It is quite easy to make a self-playing presentation, then export it as a video file. The only problem is some transition times can be a little off in the video compared to the presentation. Frustrating when trying to get the changeover to happen at exact points.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger