Getting a new car.. help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rican, Jul 14, 2008.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I am stuck in a dilemma!

Heres the break down " I used to have a 2006 Acura RSX, it was later totaled due to a drunk driver that hit me, I am looking to buy a new car, either a 2008 Honda Civic EX, 2 door... or a 2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS.

Mind you, I want something attractive, nice, <b>automatic</b> and good on gas, and reliable!!!

and which ever i'm getting i will be getting an AUX port for my iphone. :]

2. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Ouch, sorry about the drunk driver accident...
    IMO, the Honda Civic EX. You really can't go wrong with a honda!

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would go with the Civic.

Honda's are known for their outstanding reliability and resale value. I don't think Mitsubishi's are as reliable or hold their value as well. I also think the Honda looks better. Furthermore it doesn't pretend to be something it's not. The Eclipse GS's 0-60 time is 8.5 which isn't really impressive at all.

Also...
    Honda Averages probably 30mpg

Mitsubishi Averages 24mpg

4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Civic nice reliable car and does pretty good miles to the gallon, pretty fast as well

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Attractive and nice will be up to your opinion.
    Good on gas and reliable definitely describes Honda cars.

I drive a 2002 Civic and I'm considering a Honda Fit for my next car.

6. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I am also looking into the civic, but i'm going with a four door for practicality. Never thought i would be getting one, but they look decent now and last forever.

7. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Civic definitely.

Current generation eclipses are extremely ugly (They just look so bubbly and awkward :eek: )

8. idyll macrumors 6502

If it has to be between those two, then Civic. IMO Mazda3 is even better.

Must it be new? I'd rather get a used car for that kind of money... Heck, you could probably get a used Lexus IS 250 or similar. :)

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Between the two, I'd take the civic. btw, have you considered the civic si? winding out those k series is really fun :D

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I agree with the appearance of the current Civic. I'm a big fan of the 1998-2002 Accord styling.

I'll throw in another vote for the Civic even if it's plain ugly to my eyes.

11. idyll macrumors 6502

I think he meant that the Mitsubishi Eclipse is ugly, not the Civic. Which I agree with.. I don't like them at all.

12. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Civic. Like an above poster said... you can't go wrong with a Honda.

13. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Civic hands DOWN.

Not only is it going to be more reliable, have better dealer support, get better gas mileage, and have a higher resale value but Mitsubishi is not too far away from filing for bankruptcy if they already haven't. Mitsubishis aren't worth much at all after about five years...

The new Eclipses have gotten terrible reviews from all the professional automotive journalists (Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc.) and they say it is not all that sporty either...

14. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I think the new accords look pretty hot...and you could easily get one just off lease for probably pretty close to the cost of the civic.

You'll enjoy whichever, though.
    Getting a new car is always a great feeling. :p

15. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Yeah the new accords are really nice! Especially the coupe.

16. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

was your rsx a type s, if so we have/had some sick cars:):):cool:

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well let's see: Big V6: check; Front wheel drive: check; Weight: almost 3,500 lbs (about the same as a Subaru Legacy); OEM all-season tires: check.

Yeah, not surprising. If I had to chose between an 08 Eclipse and an 08 Civic, I'd probably go with the Civic, and that's saying something, because I'm no fan of the Civic.

18. JohnnyRules macrumors newbie

I was going to say go for the Civic Si, until I saw you didn't want a manual. I absolutely love my 07 Si Sedan, and I love the styling of the Civic. A manual is more fun and allows you to focus more on driving imo. Just my two cents...

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

+1. Until gas actually costs me an arm and a leg, I'm sticking with manuals.

I think everyone should own a manual car at least once. It's a good skill to have anyways, you never know when you'll need to borrow someone's car and it's a manual, or you go to the bar in your friend's manual and he gets smashed and you're sober.

20. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

k20a3 ftl< my k20a2:cool:

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Between the two, I'd get the Civic. However, if I was looking for my own car in the same price range, I'd get the Honda Fit or the Mazda2.

22. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

One other model to consider: the 2008 Nissan Sentra, especially if you can get it with the CVT automatic. I've driven a 2008 Sentra 2.0SL and was pleasantly surprised by its performance and very good ride quality. :)

Remember, if you want better resale value get a four-door sedan, since four-door sedans in good used condition attracts a lot of buyers.

I'd avoid the Civic Si models because while it's lots of fun to rev the engine above 6,000 rpm, you also use way more fuel and the engine has a real "on-off" quality depending on if you exceed 6,000 rpm or not.

23. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

I've actually turned out, and looked at Nissan Altima coupes.. and i think i am going to go ahead and get me one of those.. :]

24. gmecca2 macrumors regular

That sucks that you will have to go from the RSX to the Civic now that its discontinued.