getting a new cellphone (not iphone)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by furcalchick, Jul 26, 2008.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

we're about to cancel our t-mobile service and going with att for phones. i'm going to probably get a free or cheap one (i don't really use my phone that much), and i want a phone that works with isync so i don't have to spend hours entering in everyone's phone numbers again.

i was looking at this phone (the razr) and have a few questions about it.

1. will this model work with isync?
    2. is this the original 2005 model or is this a later model? i'm okay with a bit older phone but 3 years is forever in cell phone years and i'm not a fan of first gen stuff.
    3. is this a good phone or is it not?

btw, here's the isync page. thanks for the replies.

2. muldul macrumors 6502

It is a reasonably good phone, my friends has the UK version and has had no problems with it. This phone has had several software and hardware updates, so should be stable. It says it is supported b iSync

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

My Razr, v3c worked with iSync. I don't know if that really helps you, but I can't imagine the functionality being removed. I had to do some tinkering with my wife's phone because Verizon had disabled the feature with software (go figure) but I flashed hers to the same software I was using and it worked fine. I haven't heard of any other carriers removing that functionality. You should be okay.

Also, just use the return/exchange policy for all it's worth. If it doesn't work, try a different one.

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

ugh. i checked all the other free phones and they all look at least 3-4 years old...and worse, none supported by isync. i wonder if most of those phones supported by isync are on other cell carriers or something.

any other suggestions, or am i probably going to have to pay for a phone?

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That looks like the original V3 RAZR. The newer ones have 3G capability and removable memory cards, etc.

There is a V3xx, V3c, etc.

My daughter has had a V3xx for quite some time and is happy with it. It gets good reception, and battery life. It is also pretty indestructible. She drops it regularly, and it is still chugging along - although it is getting kind if dinged up.

The LG Shine Refurb is only $20, but it is out of stock. That is a pretty new phone:

http://www.wireless.att.com:80/cell...device=LG+Shine(TM)-(Refurb)&q_sku=sku2380237

6. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thanks for the info, we're probably not going to get that phone because of the out of stock and the fact we need one pretty soon. and the lg shine isn't isync compatible.

what happened to the days of free cell phones?

7. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

fyi, this is the phone i'm currently using (samsung SGH-t609).

i don't want to get a phone older than 2006, and it needs to have bluetooth and a camera.

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

$80 for a RAZR on a 2-year agreement is robbery. You can get a new, unlocked one for $100.

Although you don't use your phone often, I might even recommend buying an unlocked phone for a shop. Some basic, but still very usable phones can be had for $40-$100. Then again, I'm not sure what Cingular/ATT has to offer in terms of phone pricing. Usually, when you buy from a service provider, prices are jacked up.

9. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

is buying unlocked phones even legal in the us? i heard that's not really legal to do, and if it is, what stores do i start at?

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Of course it's legal. Why wouldn't it be? Phones are consumer electronics. The service providers do not manufacture them, only pay the manufacturers a license to sell them. You can walk into a Sony store and pick up an unlocked Sony Ericsson phone. If anything, the service companies holding a monopoly on hardware and using it to get you to sign contracts should be illegal.

You can start at some online retailers like Plemix and TimTechs. Many of the retailers listed here have retail shops in certain cities. But most of them are online operations. If you live in a major city chances are you can find a mobile phone sales and unlocking shop somewhere in your downtown area. Just ask around or Google "unlocked phones in _________".

If you're willing to spend a tiny bit more money, you can get a much nicer phone (or the same phone) for a much fairer price, and avoid having to sign into a contract for a locked, overpriced phone.

11. BlueCynicalMoon macrumors newbie

1. will this model work with isync?
    Yes, it will. It is listed as the Motorola RAZR v3 (GSM). It should work for the basic functions of address book, calender, and file transfer.

2. is this the original 2005 model or is this a later model? i'm okay with a bit older phone but 3 years is forever in cell phone years and i'm not a fan of first gen stuff.

Since I had one these phones, I am going to believe it is the original. Same color.

3. is this a good phone or is it not?

Until it plunged to its death in glass of ice tea during a trip to SF, it served me well. It was a no frills device. It did what I needed it to do. It is a model that has been surpassed by upgraded models. For basic functions, it should suffice. I do not miss it. I don't miss my unlocked V3i.

12. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Why not new...

for a penny? LG shine is a pretty decent phone and doesn't require a data plan for the penny price (unlike the blackberrys) on amazon. i just dono if it works with isync.

link

they even have a new V3xx (1.3MP camera i believe to the one you listed with vga, not that it makes a great difference) which is newer than your 2005 model. this for sure works with isync. and on experience, the w580i does not work with isync (unfortunately too, cuz they're pretty cool phones for a penny)

link

13. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The W580 does work with iSync once you install a 3rd party plugin--google iSync W580 plugin or similar to find it...quick, easy, and costs maybe 2-3 USD...I cannot stress enough that you will LOVE the Sony-Ericsson user interface if you give it a chance--it makes a RAZR look like an outdated piece of garbage (which it is--the 3G version excepted).

14. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

GET THE w580i!!

goddammit, i had to reinstall parallels just to get my phonebook in (via import. then export on fckn outlook. took me a good 2 hours because of compatibility issues when adding in, asking me to input every contact individually..). WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I HAD THIS PROBLEM!?! /shift key thank you sysiphus!

by all means now, get the sony 580i. green is very nice and red is new (a lil flashy imo). the black, grey, white are pretty sick. btw heres the link if/when you get the 580i

http://www.mroach.com/

15. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I'd get the RAZR. They are free (With a contract, I think) from AT&T. Mine works with iSync, too... that's a plus.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the Nokia E90 Communicator; it only cost $1100 :D

17. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Razr is a good phone. Even in a crowded outdoor field, the person on the other end can hear you perfectly with minimal noise. Ring volume is also nice and loud when you want it to be.

18. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I don't know if ATT does this but for $10, Alltel will transfer your numbers from your old phone to your new phone. So you don't really need to worry about compatibility with isync. Also, sometimes you have to buy special cables and software in order for the phone to sync. Another option is blue tooth, but some phones will only let you transfer certain things. Actually, I don't think this is a limitation of the phone, but the carrier crippling the SW of the phone so that they can make more $$ off you.

19. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i just want isync to sync my stuff at all times instead of always trying to be frenzy trying to make things work.

20. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

By all means, get a Nokia. They are the #2 phone manufacturer (behind Apple.) I have Nokia models E61, 6126, 6120 classic, and 3250 and they sync with iSync perfectly.

Motorolas are trouble. The RAZR V3 that they're selling for free with a 2 year contract actually came out in 2004, and it's a terrible value. They are not manufactured well, and they have an unfriendly and frustrating user interface.

I haven't owned a Samsung in a few years, but they were always bland phones in my experience that always had some sort of pitfall leading to its demise.

I've never owned an LG. I've heard good things about the Shine, however.

Bottom line: Nokias are great phones. They're built well, and they sync well with iSync. The Nokia 6126 is a great all-around phone and perfect for you, but it looks like at&t might've stopped selling it. If you can still find one from at&t, I'd grab it. If you can't, I'd recommend the 6555. The 6085 is also a good phone, but it's not as good of a value.

So, save yourself some money and energy and just get a Nokia. Good luck.

21. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick